The Budget Beater buggy

Bart

Although I don't believe there's any cheap about any build it looks like you've got a good platform to start with and it will be as economical as possible. Congrats and good luck on the build.

Coco

This is going to be SIIIICK!! I will be following this build! That chassis sure did look good with how the PO cut it up. What are your plans for rebuilding it? Are you going to try to mimic the same style of looks? Or change it up a little?

sixstringsteve

Care to give a brief synopsis rather than forcing everyone to wade through that thread?

No, if I had to read it, then you have to read it. :p

I haven't waded through the entire thread yet either, I just check in every month or so to see if there's progress. I believe he's building some knuckles that will allow you to run hi-steer on the 80 series axles. You can even keep your ABS if you want. The last two pages of that thread should get you a good head start.

Taco4life

No, if I had to read it, then you have to read it. :p

I haven't waded through the entire thread yet either, I just check in every month or so to see if there's progress. I believe he's building some knuckles that will allow you to run hi-steer on the 80 series axles. You can even keep your ABS if you want. The last two pages of that thread should get you a good head start.

That is correct, the thread is about a guy who has developed some knuckles that allow the use of different hi-steer arms. Currently the only manufacture that carries steering options for 80 series axles is Slee Offroad. He is just providing an alternative. The reason why I asked was because Greg had mentioned to me before that he thought he would be able to just run the stock steering with a minimal amount of lift.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like you are off to a great start. Almost there.

Yeah... almost. :rofl:

If you're going to consider semi-go-fast stuff, consider something more betterrer than airshox. I've seen some decent deals on coilovers come up from time to time....

I really wish I could see any pictures you post. :( Wherever you host them is blocked from work.

Yeah, go fast + budget just doesn't compute. Perhaps down the road I'll move to coilovers, but in the mean time air shocks will have to do.

I host them at Smugmug, no idea why your work has that site blocked. :confused:

Heck yeah call hybrid spectating he'll hook you up with some air shocks :).

Ps when you do the turbo build 2set ups I'm currently having a 22r build and wouldn't mind boosting it! Have you seen the got propane buggy with a turbo 22r.. He can light his tires up!

Yeah, I'll ask for 14's and get 12's... :rolleyes: :rofl: Glad they worked out for you!

Cary's rig really intrigued me. I don't have the dough for his propane kit though, so I'm using forklift parts. Hopefully it works well enough.

Finally the build up thread emerges... I have been wanting to ask what wheel base and frame height you are shooting for. And did you decide that the stock steering with that FJ80 axle will work?

Hopefully I can keep the wheelbase around 108-110", might be a little longer though. Frame height should end up around 22-24", but at this point, that's very variable.

I haven't even gotten my hands on a FJ80 axle yet, so I don't know how it's all going to work out. It's probably going to be awhile before I can figure it all out.

The Hummer wheel/tire combo would be a good budget choice at $189 per corner. I know they aren't 40's but they are beadlock ready wheels.

plus wheel adapters

Yep... and I have the FJ Cruiser steel wheels... and even a set of near-bald 37" MTR's. They be good fitment tires, perhaps even work decent in Moab.

Although I don't believe there's any cheap about any build it looks like you've got a good platform to start with and it will be as economical as possible. Congrats and good luck on the build.

Totally agree with you Bart, I was trying to convey that this won't be a GM V8/Atlas/Dana60/Maxxis Creepy Crawler build. :)

We'll see how decent the platform is for starting out from, after all, it's just a Toyota frame with a pile of tube stuck onto it.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
I did a roll cage on a 70 series a few weeks ago and noticed that they have a similar front axle to an 80 but the knuckles allow for histeer arms, (the 70 I worked on had histeer)anyone have anymore info on that? Could it be possible to find some 70 series knuckles in Canada and swap them onto an 80 axle? If that works it could be a cheaper alternative to buying aftermarket knuckles

...the spectating thing cracks me up..

.. It was an hzj73 fwiw

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Why a draw-thru setup rather than a push-thru??

Now that you mention that, a push-thru would allow the use of an intercooler if desired, and also wouldn't ever have a fuel mixture at the turbine wheel. (if that matters....probably doesn't, just seems "wrong") :)

Corban_White

Now that you mention that, a push-thru would allow the use of an intercooler if desired, and also wouldn't ever have a fuel mixture at the turbine wheel. (if that matters....probably doesn't, just seems "wrong") :)
It does matter (at least with gas-I have no idea about propane). The fuel will tend to settle out of suspension (not atomized as well) if it goes thru the turbo after coming out of the carb.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It does matter (at least with gas-I have no idea about propane). The fuel will tend to settle out of suspension (not atomized as well) if it goes thru the turbo after coming out of the carb.

With the propane being in gaseous form, I wouldn't think that would happen in this case. An intercooler would be nice to have as a future option though, in my mind....even at only 10PSI.

Greg

Admin
I did a roll cage on a 70 series a few weeks ago and noticed that they have a similar front axle to an 80 but the knuckles allow for histeer arms, (the 70 I worked on had histeer)anyone have anymore info on that? Could it be possible to find some 70 series knuckles in Canada and swap them onto an 80 axle? If that works it could be a cheaper alternative to buying aftermarket knuckles

...the spectating thing cracks me up..

.. It was an hzj73 fwiw

I've seen those as well... not a bad idea for a future option?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Because draw thru is stupid simple?

Is it any simpler than a push-thru? As I see it, you adapt your propane mixer where the carb would be, then attach turbo plumbing to it. The other way, you adapt turbo plumbing where the carb would be, then mount the mixer on the other side of the turbine. Sorta same-same either way, just different.

Greg

Admin
Is it any simpler than a push-thru? As I see it, you adapt your propane mixer where the carb would be, then attach turbo plumbing to it. The other way, you adapt turbo plumbing where the carb would be, then mount the mixer on the other side of the turbine. Sorta same-same either way, just different.

A little simpler, seems draw thru is how most Toyota guys set up their propane setups. Nothing is set in stone at this point, so the plan can be changed depending on the benefit of draw thru verses blow thru.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Well that's pretty badass. :D

When I smash the K5 into submission, an X-chassis will probably take it's place. The deals you can get on older ones/ex-projects/etc are sick! You've got a great start. :D

Looking forward to the build. ;)