The Budget Buggy - Take Two

Coco

Non street vehicle for me. I dont want to go through all the extra crap to make it street legal too, plus I plan on getting stickies very soon.

Bart

Make sure and take in the pics of the chasis and the progress of the build. I would go to the DMV at the point of the mountain instead of Provo. They made me go back 3 times and I finally went to the Point and was out in 15 minutes.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My Jeep when I converted to OHV was $32.50

Just got my renewal and it's $33.

They will have you put a value on the vehicle for tax purposes of course as well.

Caleb has a write-up on here somewhere that details the whole process. I had all the forms ready when I went in and it was easy. My process was different going from a jeep to OHV but many of the same forms will be required for you. I second the point of the mountain dmv. Way better

Coco

Thanks guys, I will need to get it registered hopefully by Wednesday night. Got a lot to do this week before Thursday!

Well I sold my MTRs, and while the wheels were dismounted, I gave them a freshen up. I tried doing this when I first got the wheels, but wasnt turning out right. I am glad they turned out this time, I think they look awesome, and is something no one else has done!

I also got a new set of rubber from my buddy Skippy, thanks again man! :D

I went and dropped the buggy off at the Auto Expo on Wednesday night last week, and just had it on some rollers, so once I got these mounted, I went over and got them all swapped out. I think those tires, and the new wheel color really set off the rig. We will see how it does this coming weekend on the red rock of St. George! Only thing I am worried about with the new tires, is the rear axle. I am not a big lead foot, so hopefully between that and being a light rig it will work well.

The last thing I need to do on Crankcase, is the front lower bent links. I wont get those done before W4x4J, but hopefully soon after.

It is amazing how far this buggy has come since I picked up the chassis from Greg!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wow, those tires really bring it all together! Are they DOT or Stickey? I think the most important post of keeping your axles together will be not getting the axles bound up badly and knowing when to back out if it starts bouncing. Drive smart and over time you'll get a feel for what the axles are capable of holding up to. I bet you'll be fine.

Hopefully there are a lot of pics (and video!!) from St George, I want to see it in action!

Coco

Man that thing looks sharp! Nice attention to detail. Don't bang her up too bad in Hurricane haha

Thanks man! Yeah I dont plan on banging it up too bad down there, but I guess I wont know til it is down there.

Wow, those tires really bring it all together! Are they DOT or Stickey? I think the most important post of keeping your axles together will be not getting the axles bound up badly and knowing when to back out if it starts bouncing. Drive smart and over time you'll get a feel for what the axles are capable of holding up to. I bet you'll be fine.

Hopefully there are a lot of pics (and video!!) from St George, I want to see it in action!

Yeah I definitely wont be on it if it starts bouncing and such. They are sticky, so we will see :)

Coco

Went down to Winter 4x4 Jamboree this past weekend, for some fun on the red rocks, and great weather!

On Friday we did Chain Reaction, then on Saturday we did John's Trail, and TNT.

I love it down there, and definitely need to get down there more often. I could have been happier with the buggy. It did great! I am getting more and more of a feel for it the more I take it out.

And a size comparison compared to Hardline90s Jeep, and James' Jeep:

Last edited:

Coco

Over the weekend, I got my bent links made up and built. I did a bushing at the axle, and re-used my creeper joint in the rear. After getting it all back together, I noticed the cage of the creeper was contacting the inside of the mount when flexing, and really limiting the flex on the front. I changed the creeper joint out for 1.25 heim joints, and got some 9/16" misalignment spacers from Summit Machine, and got them put in the on Monday. Now I got full steering, and should have most if not all of my flex back :D

Coco

At the end of February, we decided we didnt have enought from WOTR, so we planned a trip and went back down! It was fun as always, one of my buddies had some truck problems while he was down there, so be burned up most of the morning Friday when we got down there getting him taken care of, but was still a great trip all in all. Friday night heading back down I ran out of propane on my 8 gallon tank, and had to be towed back to the trucks. First time I have ran out since using it, but I think I know why. I would kill the motor, but leave the master kill on with the fan running, and I left the propane solenoid on as well, rather than switching it off, so it would just release propane out of the air filter.:shaking: Saturday I learned my lesson and shut my propane off every time the buggy was off. I had a lot of propane left to say the least. Gotta learn the hard way sometimes! Saturday we ran The Maze, and had a blast! Did all the fun little off shoot obstacles, and I laid the buggy on its side in the Soup Bowl, and got a little oil in the cylinders. Smoked everyone out for a short time, but I was still laughing and smiling the whole time! It is really hard to wipe a smile off of my face when I am driving this thing! No big deal though, put it in reverse, and backed right out of it. Sand Hollow is one of the coolest places to wheel! I like it more than Moab now! And I love Moab! If you havent wheeled there before, I recommend planning a weekend, and going!

Coco

Bringing this back to the top! After a season of some good wheeling, and some competing (with hopefully a couple more trips still to come) it is time to add some power to the buggy. During OSRC, there was a couple obstacles I just didn't have the power to climb up without more wheels speed. I am geared right where I am liking it for low, and mid range gears, but in my higher gears, my motor doesn't have enough power to keep the tires spinning, and the motor ends up choking out. That is soon to change!

A buddy and I have started building the turbo mounts off of a stock turbo manifold. Originally I had planned to put a T3 turbo in it, but after squeezing it in, we decided the better option will be a smaller turbo off of a Mitsubishi. This will help with lag as well.

I also picked up a turbo cam from LC Engineering, as well as a double rocker spring kit, and new rockers from LROR. We will be installing those, once we get everything for the turbo done and situated. Hopefully it will be finished, or close to finished after this weekend.

More pics and information to come!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sweet, about time! What a/r will your turbo be? I wouldn't run more than 8 PSI, you'll start killing head gaskets. 6 PSI should be a nice safe area and add a decent amount of power.

I want a ride when it's running with the turbo. :D