The family Commando build project

Stacey

That would be great, I have tried to register for the site, but wasn't able to get it to work. I cut into the old tailgate and the rust inside is crazy. I can probably fix it but its going to take a lot of work.
Being I am one of the founders of the JCCA and current Western Rep. sorry to hear you had difficulties registering for the site. If you want you can email or pm me your info and I can get you set up as a registered member.

The tailgate that is for sale on there looks to be rougher then the guy originaly stated. He says it appears to have been repeatedly shot at with a bb gun. I know of another tailgate which I will go look at in the morning.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Being I am one of the founders of the JCCA and current Western Rep. sorry to hear you had difficulties registering for the site. If you want you can email or pm me your info and I can get you set up as a registered member.

The tailgate that is for sale on there looks to be rougher then the guy originaly stated. He says it appears to have been repeatedly shot at with a bb gun. I know of another tailgate which I will go look at in the morning.

I appreciate your help, I was mistaken on the JCCA it was the comanche club (CCA) that I had trouble getting on. What info do you need ?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Thanks for the link I should be signed up now. I have been working on my doors and noticed that the plastic guide material that goes into the wing window slot is missing on one door and broken on the other. The missing plastic makes it hard to wind up the window. Any idea where I might be able to find some ?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I now have it on the road. I got a temporary permit to drive it so I can get things done for inspection. I have the soft top installed and have sprayed some primer on it to keep things from rusting. It drives nice down the road and is really smooth on the bumps. I need to have a bondo party to smooth things out for paint. The doors need some TLC and some more shims to close better but I'm excited to go try it off road and see how it does. I'll post a picture later when I get home from work.

sixstringsteve

Great news Dave, that's gotta be exciting.

FWIW, I heard that primer is quite porous, and actually attracts water rather than repels it. It sounds like you plan to paint it soon, so it doesn't really matter...

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Here are a few shots of how it looks with my rattle can primer. As you can see I have some bondo work to finish up.IMGP3956.jpgIMGP3957.jpgIMGP3958.jpg

Last edited:

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
That's looking great! The fenders turned out nice too! I need to build something like that for the CJ-75. Is that 1/2" tube for the structure & 14 or 16 ga. on top??

I like that they're replaceable & they look good & sturdy!!

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
That's looking great! The fenders turned out nice too! I need to build something like that for the CJ-75. Is that 1/2" tube for the structure & 14 or 16 ga. on top??

I like that they're replaceable & they look good & sturdy!!

The tube on the flares is one inch, the main fender tube is 1.5 inch, and the sheet metal is 12 and 10 gauge, a bit of overkill but its what was in the scrap section at SSS steel that was the correct size.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Its legal now !, I got safety and emissions done yesterday but had to do it in two places. Even though this rig is only a few years away from the testing cut-off it doesn't have its original motor and I had to test it at the county health department (some new rule). It blew the test away (HC allowed = 700 measured 97 and CO allowed = 5 measured .54) . The county guys asked me what year the motor came out of and when I told them it came out of a 78 Blazer their book said the Blazer had a cat which I know is wrong. I had three brothers with 77-78 Blazers and they never had cats. They were pretty mellow about everything when they asked about the fuel restrictor and gas cap and I had to guess what year of TJ it came from. They didn't think this jeep came with a fuel restrictor so I had to explain where the parts came from.

Last edited:

webyepn

gone yeepn
That looks good. After I get my Scrambler all finished up my wife wants me to build one of these for her..

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I think I saw this thing yesterday on 45 south and about state. It looked good.

Thanks, it is hard to miss and I was running around quite a bit in that area yesterday. I am very pleased with how it drives on the road, now I need to go wheeling. I had Teraflex check the alignment and I guess I did a pretty good job setting it up since the only thing they found was the slight bit of toe out in the front. I was happy I didn't have any front to back, diagonal or side to side issues.

Last edited: