The KTM 4CS fork thread...

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
All this talk of no kick starter re-enforces the need to have a high quality battery. The batter on my 300 lasted 2 years before it gave up and I replaced it with a Li-ion.

djgardner

All this talk of no kick starter re-enforces the need to have a high quality battery. The batter on my 300 lasted 2 years before it gave up and I replaced it with a Li-ion.

you replaced your battery with a Lion? :ugh: :rolleyes: :D

So what do you think Paul, is a high quality battery any more likely to break than any other part of the motorcycle? Am I over thinking this?

I

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
you replaced your battery with a Lion? :ugh: :rolleyes: :D

So what do you think Paul, is a high quality battery any more likely to break than any other part of the motorcycle? Am I over thinking this?

I

Stock batteries are good while they are good. I was surprised to get 2 years out of mine, but the last 2 months, it was noticeably weaker. My thought on batteries is no different than any other part on a bike. If you need to replace a part, you may as well replace it with the highest quality part made.....whether that be OEM or aftermarket.

Not that it directly relates to this discussion, but this was posted on KTMTalk recently and really describes how I feel about the work I do on mine and my kids bikes. I really have mine and their well being in my hands.

This reminds me of the aircraft mechanics creed. I saw this somewhere and it totally can relate it to MX dirt bikes -

Upon my honor...I will hold in sacred trust the rights and privileges conferred upon me as a certified aviation mechanic. Knowing full well that the safety and lives of others are dependent upon my skill and judgement, I will never subject others to risks that I am not willing to assume.
I pledge never to undertake or approve work that I feel is beyond the limits of my knowledge, nor will I allow an unqualified person to persuade me to approve aircraft or equipment as airworthy against my better judgement. I will not be influenced by personal gain, nor shall I pass as airworthy, aircraft or equipment about which I am in doubt either as a result of my inspection or uncertainty regarding the ability of others who have worked on it to accomplish their work satisfactorily.

I realize the grave responsibility that is mine - to exercise my judgment on the airworthiness of aircraft and equipment. I pledge unyielding adherence to these precepts for the advancement of aviation and the dignity of my profession.

Last edited:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
FWIW, I threw a pair of lighter rate springs in (.42s instead of the stock .44). Also, instead of running the recommended 607cc's of fluid, I'm running at 580cc's (settling on a good round # in the neighbor hood of the 25cc's I wanted to reduce it by). I also used some fancy KYB 01M fluid for good measure.

I thought they had improved enough to be somewhat tolerable, but due to the good 'ol 4CS design, they're still harsh in the initial stroke and deflect badly. Saturday I rode some technical singletrack where there was little room for error, and it was a battle just keeping the bike on the trail. I have zero confidence left in these and am beyond pissed. I wish I would have bought a '13 so bad.

Until I can pony up the $1000+ that it will take Kreft to fix these pieces of crap, I'll stick to the less technical/rocky trails for sure.

djgardner

FWIW, I threw a pair of lighter rate springs in (.42s instead of the stock .44). Also, instead of running the recommended 607cc's of fluid, I'm running at 580cc's (settling on a good round # in the neighbor hood of the 25cc's I wanted to reduce it by). I also used some fancy KYB 01M fluid for good measure.

I thought they had improved enough to be somewhat tolerable, but due to the good 'ol 4CS design, they're still harsh in the initial stroke and deflect badly. Saturday I rode some technical singletrack where there was little room for error, and it was a battle just keeping the bike on the trail. I have zero confidence left in these and am beyond pissed. I wish I would have bought a '13 so bad.

Until I can pony up the $1000+ that it will take Kreft to fix these pieces of crap, I'll stick to the less technical/rocky trails for sure.

This is really making me rethink my decision to buy a 2016 XC.

Are the forks fixable with a revalve? who is the best suspension company to revalve these forks?

djgardner

As Von mentioned, I think Kreft is the goto shop for these 4CS forks.

I thought Kreft was a typo or something since I've never heard of them. lol

How is the shock on these bikes? It looks like its about a grand for just the forks, and another $700 or so for the shock. For that price I'd better never feel a bump or whoop, ever. Man, that's a lot of money to get the suspension right on a $10K dirt bike. Is the shock good enough stock? I'm not willing to spend $10K on a bike and then have to spend another $1500 or so to get the suspension right...I'd rather just buy a Yamaha. But if the shock is good, I could probably justify a grand on just the forks.

Does anyone have any experience with Pro Action out of Heber? They did my brothers factory edition 450 (for desert), and I really liked it. (I'm not sure if the factory editions and the XC's have the same forks?) They charged about a grand front and rear.

What about Dirt Lab? Notch Peak? I'd love to support the local shops...if they can do a good job.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I thought Kreft was a typo or something since I've never heard of them. lol

How is the shock on these bikes? It looks like its about a grand for just the forks, and another $700 or so for the shock. For that price I'd better never feel a bump or whoop, ever. Man, that's a lot of money to get the suspension right on a $10K dirt bike. Is the shock good enough stock? I'm not willing to spend $10K on a bike and then have to spend another $1500 or so to get the suspension right...I'd rather just buy a Yamaha. But if the shock is good, I could probably justify a grand on just the forks.

Does anyone have any experience with Pro Action out of Heber? They did my brothers factory edition 450 (for desert), and I really liked it. (I'm not sure if the factory editions and the XC's have the same forks?) They charged about a grand front and rear.

What about Dirt Lab? Notch Peak? I'd love to support the local shops...if they can do a good job.

The rear shock's are not bad, but the thing you want to do, is make sure you are keeping both ends balanced. In most cases, the factory usually sets up the rear to work with the front, so that usually requires working on both to keep that balance. There is no denying the fact that both KTM and Kawasaki have hit a big goose egg with the forks they are offering. As far as the local shops, I don't know anybody who is getting the results that Kreft is getting with the 4CS. I know several people who are happy with the work that Jesse with the Dirt Lab does on the non 4cs forks. I am going to have him do a little bit of work on my daughters crf150r this summer.

djgardner

The rear shock's are not bad, but the thing you want to do, is make sure you are keeping both ends balanced. In most cases, the factory usually sets up the rear to work with the front, so that usually requires working on both to keep that balance. There is no denying the fact that both KTM and Kawasaki have hit a big goose egg with the forks they are offering. As far as the local shops, I don't know anybody who is getting the results that Kreft is getting with the 4CS. I know several people who are happy with the work that Jesse with the Dirt Lab does on the non 4cs forks. I am going to have him do a little bit of work on my daughters crf150r this summer.

That's a good point...if I have to plan on spending an extra $1500 on suspension, then I would HAVE to buy the 300 (rather than the $1000 more expensive 350). Or I just buy a yz250 two stroke or yz450 (even if it does weigh over 20 lbs more than the 300 or the 350)...I was really hoping the suspension on the XC's would be okay stock.

Are the forks on the SX's (350sx-f) the same as the XC's?

Last edited:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Just for the hell of it, read the customer reviews on Kreft's site regarding suspension work on bikes with the 4CS (especially the '14 300 XC). Its interesting to see how many people are having serious issues with these forks, and its always the same complaint.

djgardner

Just for the hell of it, read the customer reviews on Kreft's site regarding suspension work on bikes with the 4CS (especially the '14 300 XC). Its interesting to see how many people are having serious issues with these forks, and its always the same complaint.

Good grief...reading those reviews makes me want to buy a KTM, and spend the money on the re-valve because it will be the best suspension EVER.

I was honestly leaning towards the 350...but maybe I'll get the 300 and then let Kreft revalve the suspension I'm not sure I could go wrong.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Lance's 15 350 xc had the suspension done by Craig L (lundstrum maybe?) in Bountiful (It seems like he is a Pro Action guy), (I've met the guy before) and I was very pleased with it. We rode some silly rocky stuff last weekend.

rholbrook

I ran into a guy today that just bought a new Husky TE250 and he wouldnt shut up how much he liked his suspension. I felt like telling him he was full of Sh!t cuz noone else likes theirs. Everyone has a different requirement. Personally, mine has to feel like a nice comfy soft couch. I'm too old to like anything else anymore.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I ran into a guy today that just bought a new Husky TE250 and he wouldnt shut up how much he liked his suspension. I felt like telling him he was full of Sh!t cuz noone else likes theirs. Everyone has a different requirement. Personally, mine has to feel like a nice comfy soft couch. I'm too old to like anything else anymore.

The Husky's have valving that is closer to the xcw. It it's much more plush than the xc

Last edited: