The new rig conundrum

rholbrook

I'm surprised there are any Tarahumara left in Mexico. I would have thought they would have all been in the US by now and that's why Mexico doesn't do well in the Olympics. :rofl:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
This update was rather interesting...

Day 15 of Derek's adventure.
Derek had some reception last night and we were able to talk and text. He was also able to download all the pictures I've been sending him. He's sad seeing how much Leimomi has changed in just a couple weeks (the girl is always growing).
He's starting to get a bit frustrated at this point in his journey. His group is complaining of long days in the vehicles and they are complaining of the heat and dust, so they are making frequent stops and they checked into a hotel around 1:30ish in the afternoon. He just feels they are missing lots of opportunity to explore, but he understands how this wears on ya.
They have also experienced an impressive amount of bug bites. He has about 25 on his face and about 100 on his legs he said. They are beyond itchy, and one the guys had a bite that made his arm swell. They are in the town of Alamos and tracked down a pharmacy that gave them some ointment and the pharmacist said "I've got something else for you" he set a large needle on the counter and they all looked at each other like "noooo way" he pulled out a jar of a clear solution, it had floaties and red towards the bottom like blood. The pharmacist explained it was a home remedy and the syringe was just how he got it out of the jar to place on the skin (they were relieved no shots were happening, haha) once it was rubbed into the skin the bites instantly felt better.
He also said they came across an interesting scene, they drove into a small town and saw a blacked out SUV, tinted windows...all you could see were shadows. They saw two men in a field with assault rifles and a man on his knees in front of them. No one looked at each other and they just went about their business. This scene was unreal, it's unfortunate that this isn't uncommon down there, but don't worry...they didn't feel endangered and they are good (I myself wish he didn't tell me this, but he must of felt it was necessary to keep us informed, so I'm passing it along).
Today they will travel down to the Sea of Cortez and make it to the coast! They are excited about getting to the ocean

Tonkaman

Hey guys in back a week early! I was surprised to see this thread had some updates while I was away. The trip was amazing and I learned a lot about traveling into Mexico. I'll be posting up a full trip report in a few days after I have time to write it out and share photos with the other guys.

My new truck really impressed me. I love how comfortable I was for the entire trip. The stock suspension did really well soaking up the rutted out and rocky roads. The traction control in 2wd is extremely effective. My biggest mistake was leaving on the stock Goodyear tires. They are too light duty to handle the hard rocks we were hitting. The smartest decision I made was buying the ARB fridge.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Can't wait to hear about the trip, I'm a little concerned about the early return but I'm sure it was for a good enough reason.

Tonkaman

I can’t believe I never updated this thread. 3 years later and I left you all hanging!!

Oh well, too late now.

I decided it’s time for a life change, and so the taco must go. I stripped it all down yesterday, while my ambition was high. I proceeded to cry myself to sleep last night....

I’ll have a few items up for sale here soon.

Tonkaman

I ordered a 2022 Power wagon today!

Our Tacoma is bursting at the seams every time we go anywhere. Other than capacity, I have absolutely loved my Tacoma though.
I stripped the Tacoma down nearly 2 years ago, but all my health issues last year really used up all my extra money.

I’m hoping the power wagon is the next best thing giving us the Offroad capability to blindly explore while still being able to haul everything we need to stay comfortable. I know In the past I’ve spouted off lots of build ideas for vehicles that never really panned out. I think I’ve realized that vehicles are incredibly capable with little modifications. This truck will stay stock for at-least a year so I can feel out what modifications are truly needed. Potential build plans down the road will be the prospector XL setup.

E6818A65-BAE9-4C11-A631-286F76767FD0.jpeg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I ordered a 2022 Power wagon today!

Our Tacoma is bursting at the seams every time we go anywhere. Other than capacity, I have absolutely loved my Tacoma though.
I stripped the Tacoma down nearly 2 years ago, but all my health issues last year really used up all my extra money.

I’m hoping the power wagon is the next best thing giving us the Offroad capability to blindly explore while still being able to haul everything we need to stay comfortable. I know In the past I’ve spouted off lots of build ideas for vehicles that never really panned out. I think I’ve realized that vehicles are incredibly capable with little modifications. This truck will stay stock for at-least a year so I can feel out what modifications are truly needed. Potential build plans down the road will be the prospector XL setup.

View attachment 144464

That would perfect for the March Baja trip! 😉

Tonkaman

Congrats man!
can we get some details? Engine? Interior?
I’m a sucker for extras and amenities so I loaded this truck with EVERY option available except for sunroof, and ram boxes. That includes a new trim level unavailable before 2022.

The only engine option available is the 6.4 Hemi. This was a hard thing for me to commit to honestly. I know it will get poor gas mileage especially compared to the Cummins diesel. I had to be honest with myself about the goals of the truck though.

The diesel would take away from its Offroad capabilities with the turbo lag and 700lb increase over the front axle. I’ve also started to shy away from diesels the last few years since all the emissions crap seems to be making them too complex.