The RME street moto gang

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Joined the “liter bike” gang today. 2001 R1 at too good a price to pass up.
View attachment 161631

View attachment 161632
View attachment 161633

It’s a little ugly but with what I need it for that’s just fine.

The first time I rode an R1 (same color scheme even) I about died. I throttled hard while already at speed, and the bike lifted the front end and took off.. I was hanging on trying not to fall off the back, but couldn't release the throttle either.. I had to be doing over 100 by the time it set back down and I regained control...

02SE

Congrats. I believe the 2001 still used carbs, don't let ethanol gas sit too long in it. Ride it to keep the gas fresh.

Some inspiration...

The rider they refer to as 'Shakey' is Shane Byrne. 6 time BSB champion.

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
Congrats. I believe the 2001 still used carbs, don't let ethanol gas sit too long in it. Ride it to keep the gas fresh.

Some inspiration...

The rider they refer to as 'Shakey' is Shane Byrne. 6 time BSB champion.
Yeah it’s carbs, and yeah it sat around a while not being ridden. Carbs need gone through. But I’m already planning on that.

02SE

I put up a better version of the original classic Fast Bikes video. Hopefully no music is dubbed onto this version.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It's quite the saga but that YZF I had was a fully race prepped bike with a fully built race motor, carbon fiber body, Ohlins suspension, blip shift, full titanium catless Graves exhaust, quick shift etc etc. The story is that this guy had it up for sale for 8 months and no one wanted to buy an expensive race bike.
I got to ride it a few times fully race prepped with race gas, sticky tires, GP reverse shifting, super high rev, 3mm foam seat pads... etc... and I thought- as a race bike- It was incredible, so loud, hard riding, terrifying and scary fast!
He had bought the bike brand new and his mechanic had taken all of the stock parts off of it including the motor after like 10 hours... Put all the parts in bins, wrapped all of the body in cling wrap and put them in bins too. A very extraordinarily talented racer now in his early 60's but not a mechanical fellow... Since no one would buy it as a race bike he hired me to change it back to a street bike. And he sold the race motor separately.
This was a hard job to undo all this maticulous work done by his race engineer (a former helicopter mechanic.) Every fastener was titanium or aluminum, torque marked and safety wired. Every electrical connector was repinned with water proof deutchtech stuff. Race ECU and stand-alone shifter ECU wired so clean.
So minty.
It was a tragedy to take it back to stock. But I got it done and he posted it for sale.

After 6 months of holding the bike for him with only a couple of showings and not being paid: we agreed that I would sell the bike for him- surprisingly he brought me the title the same day. He was just in a bad place financially but an honest guy. I sold the bike, kept just what I was owed and gave him the rest. Then he gave me a good size chunk of his cut for my trouble- what a guy.

I always wished I had the means to keep it as a race bike and try my hand at track racing. But the prep costs alone would blow my whole desert racing season budget out of the water. (He told me he had somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25k just in the motor- which he refreshed each season).

My warehousing guy bought the fresh (street bike version) for pennies on the dollar! He called me a few weeks later after he blew the head gasket when he overheated it bouncing off the limiter showing off at house party.
I declined the offer to have me fix it lol ---I'd had enough of that bike in my life.
8 or 9 months later- I think he's finally got it back together with just him and his father! But he covered in monster energy stickers...

02SE

When I was into the track riding scene, it was through the USBA (Utah Sportbike Association). It was on cone courses in parking lots, then MMP was built. I believe there are still advanced riding courses and a racing series that are held there, but I haven't been involved in a long time. Too many other things taking my time.

I will say that getting advanced riding instruction is probably the best thing you can do to ride a sportbike (or any bike) competently, and confidently.

STAG

On my grind
When I was into the track riding scene, it was through the USBA (Utah Sportbike Association). It was on cone courses in parking lots, then MMP was built. I believe there are still advanced riding courses and a racing series that are held there, but I haven't been involved in a long time. Too many other things taking my time.

I will say that getting advanced riding instruction is probably the best thing you can do to ride a sportbike (or any bike) competently, and confidently.
Yeah UMSC (formerly MMP) does have the riding courses and open track days and stuff

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member

Agreed.
It's way fun to beat up on 60+ HP bikes dragging pegs on a TTR125.
i-KG88sM7-X2.jpg

I can vouch for the riding school at SoCal Supermoto. It's one of the most fun things I've ever done on a bike.

Anyone who's interested, I'd like to plan another guys trip: cheap flight into ONT or LAX. AirBNB in Riverside and SoCal Supermoto provides everything: gear, gas, bikes and instruction for very very cheap. It's a riot!

i-xzZhwWx-X2.jpg

J-mobzz

Agreed.
It's way fun to beat up on 60+ HP bikes dragging pegs on a TTR125.
View attachment 161754

I can vouch for the riding school at SoCal Supermoto. It's one of the most fun things I've ever done on a bike.

Anyone who's interested, I'd like to plan another guys trip: cheap flight into ONT or LAX. AirBNB in Riverside and SoCal Supermoto provides everything: gear, gas, bikes and instruction for very very cheap. It's a riot!

View attachment 161755

I think I would be interested in that.