The RME street moto gang

STAG

On my grind
I built my own years ago. I used 5” C-Channel steel. It worked, but it always scared me as far as the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing if my bike was secured or not.

The first time I used it (in the hitch on the back of my 5th wheel camper) I used an excess of tie down straps. (Like, a dozen, including the ones that went from the carrier to the trailer too). I didn’t want to lose the bike on the way down to Moab.

Being steel it was heavy and slightly awkward to maneuver into a receiver. I’m sure a storebought one with aluminum would of course be lighter.

ID Bronco

My son has been using a homemade steel one for a few years on his 4 runner. The tie down points are further out than the store bought models. He hasn't had any problems but uses 4 straps on it.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have hauled several bikes thousands of miles on the home built unit I put on the back of my camp trailer. I use 3 tie downs, 4 on occasion. Mine is the T tray style where the straps are parallel to the forks. I then put a strap underneath going peg to peg or one from the rear wheel to the back of the hauler.
I think the key is to use tie downs that have soft loops on the bike end and clip on carabiner hooks on the other end. That way you don't come unstrapped with the bike rocking.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I’ve just increased my adventure potential. Thanks to @Gravy for the recommendation on the XT250. This is a 2022 model with 25 miles on it. Mostly sat in their barn so the disks have rusted. I’m going to try sanding them to clean them up. If that doesn’t work I’ll buy new. A great deal. It still smells like a new bike.

The carrier is a hydraulic type with a tray. It rides pretty stable on the rear of the van. I’m looking at a riser to get back some of the departure (or approach as the case may be) that I’ll lose. The hydraulic makes it quite easy to load but does push it out away from the van quite a bit.
CF0F32E3-04DD-488D-AA22-8F18335DE9CD.jpeg
9FF3EE18-1149-42D3-B12A-39D3F2D7D925.jpeg
B1562869-20FD-4922-B772-7A83B2D5C45B.jpeg
71755670-2470-4613-A546-33E9A63C0886.jpeg

This riser belongs to my friend. With it I can open both doors and I do gain back some departure angle.
B64DD961-FFC9-4573-93B6-787C271698A2.jpeg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I took my wife on a ride up to Park City the long way for our 14th anniversary last weekend.
20231006_191241.jpg
We started about 7pm and rode from Pleasant View, up Ogden canyon, around Pine View reservoir and over Trapper's loop, up the 84 to I 80 and had to stop in Coalville to warm up for a minute.
20231006_203552.jpg
Then finally to the Sundial Lodge in the Canyons resort side of PC resort.
20231006_223404.jpg

Had a nice dinner and evening, spent the night and foodie breakfast
20231007_084731.jpg
and rode back the same way but tacked North Ogden Pass on.
20231007_113110.jpg

14 years has had its ups and downs but mostly ups!

Loved the new lights on my bike.
Haven't really done a night ride with my wife before and it was fun listening to her confidence grow on the comms.
Leaves were gorgeous on the way back down Saturday morning.
Screenshot_20231016_200126_Maps.jpg

02SE

Nice ride, and congrats.

I'd suggest Morgan to East Canyon, versus I-84/ I-80.

I rode over East Canyon yesterday, and it's getting a bit past it for leaves, but still pretty in spots.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Nice ride, and congrats.

I'd suggest Morgan to East Canyon, versus I-84/ I-80.

I rode over East Canyon yesterday, and it's getting a bit past it for leaves, but still pretty in spots.

Thanks, did you do that ride with us up that way then up the canyon from Coalville on Chalk Creek rd to the Armpit of Utah? (If you haven't, that's a must ride road, and you can tack on a dirt road up through the Wyoming Badlands to Evanston as well).

We discussed going home that way (Morgan to east canyon then up i15 but we had a time crunch to pickup our kids in Pleasant View and she didn't love the idea of a long I-15 run (SLC to PLVW).
I do love that way! Such a fun road.

That’s an awful fancy outfit she’s got on for a moto ride 😍

She fancy.

I had to buy her new warmer gloves after that ride and promise to install her heated grips too.

Tonkaman

I took my wife on a ride up to Park City the long way for our 14th anniversary last weekend.
View attachment 165324
We started about 7pm and rode from Pleasant View, up Ogden canyon, around Pine View reservoir and over Trapper's loop, up the 84 to I 80 and had to stop in Coalville to warm up for a minute.
View attachment 165328
Then finally to the Sundial Lodge in the Canyons resort side of PC resort.
View attachment 165325

Had a nice dinner and evening, spent the night and foodie breakfast
View attachment 165326
and rode back the same way but tacked North Ogden Pass on.
View attachment 165327

14 years has had its ups and downs but mostly ups!

Loved the new lights on my bike.
Haven't really done a night ride with my wife before and it was fun listening to her confidence grow on the comms.
Leaves were gorgeous on the way back down Saturday morning.
View attachment 165329
You are one lucky dude! I love that you two share such an amazing hobby. That looks like the perfect date. 🤘

02SE

Thanks, did you do that ride with us up that way then up the canyon from Coalville on Chalk Creek rd to the Armpit of Utah? (If you haven't, that's a must ride road, and you can tack on a dirt road up through the Wyoming Badlands to Evanston as well).

We discussed going home that way (Morgan to east canyon then up i15 but we had a time crunch to pickup our kids in Pleasant View and she didn't love the idea of a long I-15 run (SLC to PLVW).
I do love that way! Such a fun road.

She fancy.

I had to buy her new warmer gloves after that ride and promise to install her heated grips too.

No, I don't believe we've ridden together. My current bikes are not dirt road friendly. But I have been on those roads in a 3rd gen 4Runner.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I can't seem to find anyone to give me a pile of cash for my 1090 so I am looking at keeping it as a 2 up "touring" bike. The wife and I took it for a spin around UT lake yesterday and I am thinking it will be great for this with a few mods.

I have a Motoz GPS rear tire that will get mounted again to give it better street manners and I am going to match that with a front GPS from Motoz. The bike already has Tusk pannier racks. I think I might order some Tusk hard pannier bags and a taller wind screen.

Tebbsjeep

Have any of you bought a helmet from overseas? I'm eyeing one from a company in the Netherlands, and I'm unsure how much import fees will be.