The Snowshoeing Thread

jentzschman

Most of the packs I've used lose a lot of comfort when packed to within 5lbs or so of capacity. If it's only rated to 30lbs then it may not be comfortable past 25lbs. 70L is a large pack and winter overnighters can fill it up quickly. What is golite's return policy? Could you take it out and return it if it's not up to snuff?

That is what I was thinning as well, they have 30 day return policy. They have a store in Lehi and I am going to check them out tomorrow.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The z lite will supplement an REI stratus pad: http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/unisex-rei-stratus-insulated-air-pad-reviews#Description

Thank you for the input on the 70 liter pack.. I guess I can get a smaller one and force myself into lighter gear :)

The 50 liter might be an option.

My wife works at Golite and you can't return it if it is used. You definitely can return it if it is unused. So you could load it up at home and see if it works for you and return it if you dont like it. (if you threw a big enough fit they would probably take it back used)

jentzschman

The 50 liter might be an option.

My wife works at Golite and you can't return it if it is used. You definitely can return it if it is unused. So you could load it up at home and see if it works for you and return it if you dont like it. (if you threw a big enough fit they would probably take it back used)

Good to know, thank you Davy. (does she work at the one in Lehi?) I am going tomorrow after work to check them out. If I like it I will buy it and stuff it at home and walk around with it for awhile. That stinks you can not return it after being used. This is one of the BIGGEST reason I like REI.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
the quest is heavy, but if you are going to be carrying loads heavier than the jam can handle the quest is not a bad option.

I really love Granite gear packs. They are the lightest for the loads they can handle. The Blaze AC 60 would be a good option for you. Under 3 lbs and can carry loads of 40 lbs. Maybe look into a few of the granite gear packs.

sixstringsteve

I have a 55 L pack right now, and I'm seriously considering getting a 40L for my overnighters. The 55L will be nice for week-long backpacking, but I don't have enough vacation time to do that as much as I'd like. 40L is just about right for my needs. Sure, I could simply roll the top of the 55L down a bit more, but that's not nearly as much fun as buying more gear. :D

Last edited:

jentzschman

the quest is heavy, but if you are going to be carrying loads heavier than the jam can handle the quest is not a bad option.

I really love Granite gear packs. They are the lightest for the loads they can handle. The Blaze AC 60 would be a good option for you. Under 3 lbs and can carry loads of 40 lbs. Maybe look into a few of the granite gear packs.

I am on a budget and the Jam looks like it fits the bill very nicely. I want good quality gear, but also do not want to spend tons of money simply for a brand name (which is, of course, most of what we pay for when it comes to gear)

ozzy702

If I didn't already have a ULA pack I'd be looking at the Granite Gear packs (despite their stance on off road use). They really are well made, well thought out and fairly light.

I am on a budget and the Jam looks like it fits the bill very nicely. I want good quality gear, but also do not want to spend tons of money simply for a brand name (which is, of course, most of what we pay for when it comes to gear)

The golite packs look nice for the money. One thing to think of is how much use your gear will get, the Granite Gear packs will last forever so if you're much like me (once a month outing if I'm lucky) then it will literally last a decade of use or more without problem. Even if a Golite pack lasts half as long (I have no personal experience with it's durability) it's still going to last forever if you don't get out much. At $109 for a 50L the Jam looks like a winner.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

my wife loves her Granite Gear pack. I don't like the way it rides on my back, but I do like the little details they've designed into it. The pack I have now is my all-time favorite pack. I have a little camelbak pack that used to be my favorite. Now it feels uncomfortable compared to my hyperlight mountain gear pack.

jentzschman

Ok, just spent the past hour weighing all my gear so far. Here are the results:

Not everything is meant to be taken, but this is a good list of stuff so far. Thanks Steve for the idea (from that book you recommended)

Weight in oz
Clothing carried base-layer bottom 5.70
base-layer top grey zip-top 7.10
underwear 3.35
socks rei expedition weight 6.20
bottom mid-layer fleece pants 9.75
top mid-layer down jacket 11.90
swix hat 1.15
sunglasses 0.95
bottom outer-layer REI “softshell” pants 17.20
top outer shell REI blue jacket 15.05
light gloves head walking gloves 2.15
buff 1.40
balaclava smartwool 1.50

Clothing packed
down Jacket black parka 32.40
secondary gloves hed mittens 7.95
secondary bottom mid layer
secondary top mid layer broncos hoodie 21.45
secondary socks costco wool pair

Cook gear
stove w/windshield soto stove 3.15 w/out shield 2.45
fuel can
cup w/sleeve and gripper 6.15
spork orange prison style 0.20
fule stand 1.15

Shelter
tent body 32.75
tent fly 38.20
tent footprint 10.25
tent poles w/out carrying sleeve 19.20
tent body stakes aluminum hook style 3.05
guy lines x4 1.50
guy line stakes
pole repair tube 0.65

Sleeping gear
bag 41.5
air pad REI Sratus 19.10
foam pad
liner

Essentials
headlamp w/batteries
spare headlamp batteries
lantern w/batteries
lantern spare batteries
streamlight AAA w/battery 1.15

Misc stuff
shovel
benchmade knife 4
leatherman wave
sidearm w/holster and full mag 36.5
phone 5.20
keys all keys w/remote 3.70
truck key w/remote 1.35

Total 370.25

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I want good quality gear, but also do not want to spend tons of money simply for a brand name (which is, of course, most of what we pay for when it comes to gear)

not always true. Everything is better on high quality gear. Materials, zippers, quality control, etc. That isn't to say that you have to spend a lot to have a great time outdoors, you don't. However, you are paying for better quality and a little bit for the name.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Ok, just spent the past hour weighing all my gear so far. Here are the results:

Not everything is meant to be taken, but this is a good list of stuff so far. Thanks Steve for the idea (from that book you recommended)

Weight in oz
underwear 3.35
swix hat 1.15
sunglasses 0.95
buff 1.40
balaclava smartwool 1.50

Clothing packed

Cook gear
fuel can
fule stand 1.15

Shelter
tent body 32.75
tent fly 38.20
tent footprint 10.25
guy lines x4 1.50
guy line stakes
pole repair tube 0.65

Sleeping gear
bag 41.5
air pad REI Sratus 19.10
foam pad
liner

Essentials
headlamp w/batteries
spare headlamp batteries
lantern w/batteries
lantern spare batteries

Misc stuff
shovel
benchmade knife 4
leatherman wave
phone 5.20
truck key w/remote 1.35

Total 370.25

not a bad list, but you can easily and cheaply shave several pounds from that list.

sixstringsteve

Good job weighing all that stuff. It really helps lighten up when you weigh it all. I have an excel spreadsheet with all my gear and what it weighs.

In my opinion, you don't need any of the bold items. Even if your headlight dies it won't be a life or death situation, so you don't need all the redundancy:

Weight in oz
underwear 3.35

swix hat 1.15
sunglasses 0.95
buff 1.40
balaclava smartwool 1.50

Clothing packed

Cook gear
fuel can
fule stand 1.15

Shelter
tent body 32.75
tent fly 38.20
tent footprint 10.25
guy lines x4 1.50
guy line stakes
pole repair tube 0.65

Sleeping gear
bag 41.5
air pad REI Sratus 19.10
foam pad
liner

Essentials
headlamp w/batteries
spare headlamp batteries
lantern w/batteries
lantern spare batteries

Misc stuff
shovel
benchmade knife 4
leatherman wave
phone 5.20
truck key w/remote 1.35

Last edited:

jentzschman

Good job weighing all that stuff. It really helps lighten up when you weigh it all. I have an excel spreadsheet with all my gear and what it weighs.

In my opinion, you don't need any of the bold items. Even if your headlight dies it won't be a life or death situation, so you don't need all the redundancy:

Some of that stuff I will not be packing. Just adding it so I have all gear weigh in one list.