The Snowshoeing Thread

sixstringsteve

You should go to different stores and try on a bunch of backpacks. Load them up with 20-30 lbs of camping gear and see how they ride walking around the store. You won't get a 100% accurate feel for what they're like on the trail, but it's better than looking at websites.

How will I know I like/dislike a pack that is ~280 bucks vs a pack that is ~100? I would hate to spend the money on a zpack only to find out that I personally may not like it after using it.

REI, Campsaver, Moosejaw, zpacks, Sierra Trading post, Bacountry.com and many others have great return policies for this very reason.

From zpacks website:

Do you accept returns or exchanges?
Yes. You can return any item in new or lightly used condition for up to 30 days after you receive the item for a full refund, minus the shipping fee.​

It is nice that so many here are willing to share gear so you can get a feel what works for you.

x2. There's no substitute for experience. I use the forums at backpackinglight to hear people duke it out over which pack is better, but nothing compares to actually getting out and trying it. What I love, you may hate.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

One thing that's been a tough transition for me with the UL packs is the lack of pockets. The main pocket is one giant tube. I've had a tough time transitioning to the "tube." Where do my socks, knife, headlamp, hand sanitizer, matches, stove, map, compass, first aid kit, food, etc go? Do I just chuck them all inside the tube and completely unpack my pack when I get to camp? That's what I did the first trip with a UL pack, but fortunately I'm getting better organizing my gear on these lighter packs.

I think it's a lot easier to stay organized when each item has its own "home" in a defined location (pocket) on the pack. Granted, that means a specific zipper, and extra cloth to make this pocket, which equals more weight. I have found that using ziplocks and small stuff sacks has helped me stay organized. I also had HMG add a single zippered pocket to the inside of my pack, which REALLY helps keep the little things organized.

Last edited:

jentzschman

I hope this next question is on point with this tread:

So what are the differences with the zpack vs the HMG? From first glance, they seem very similar.

sixstringsteve

My wife is sick, so she can't make it on my overnighter tomorrow night. That means I have an open spot in my tent. If anyone wants to save some weight, they're welcome to sleep in my tent with me. We can use my stove too, to save weight. I don't think I feel comfortable going alone up there, so hopefully someone can tag along. if not, no biggie, I'll just reschedule it.

sixstringsteve

Well, I wasn't able find any friends crazy enough to spend the night with me up AF Canyon, and I didn't feel comfortable going alone, so I bailed on that trip.

Instead, we did a big 8 miler around Big Baldy today. It was an insane trek, and we didn't use snowshoes. Kyle and Rosa are amazing, no gaiters and no complaining. I have a feeling they might be getting gaiters soon... Cody, as always, was a mule busting trail the entire way.

Here are the trip details. You can see the pics we took at each point (pics still uploading at the moment), along with the route.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/View...tLinkKey=2861024d-9c46-4201-8c4b-c48e22eb97f7

Last edited:
I had intended to do a bunch of snowshoeing over the Christmas break, but with the nice early cold weather and my 18 yr old having lots of free time, we have been ice climbing 4 times instead. Haven't needed snowshoes for any of the approaches we've done, but outdoors nonetheless.

This morning we will be on Scruffy Band in LCC. I love this weather with the clear skies!

sixstringsteve

It has snowed enough to make it worth it for me. I can meet anytime after 4:30 Pm tomorrow. What time is good for you guys?

sixstringsteve

don't worry about slowing us down, it'll be good to have you with us. I haven't picked a trail yet. I'm open to suggestions. I like 40 to 41, I like granite flats, and I even like just walking up the main fire road.