The Snowshoeing Thread

sixstringsteve

Ensign peak would be great.

I don't mind longer treks either. I'll bet there's some cool stuff up above the U. I REALLY like wooded, forest type stuff. I know of an intense, but really fun route up AF Canyon.

Last edited:

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I used to go. Mostly to get back country and ski or board. I was supposed to go with a friend back country once, but had to work. He died in an avalanche. Since then I have been gun shy, until as of late. I used a pair of mountaineering boots and skis. This was about the coolest thing ever. I didn't have to carry skis or boots. The best part was, when the snow got really fluffy you wouldn't sink much at all.
Either way it is a great way to get out into areas that are little seen in the winter. If you have great winter camping stuff. you can just about trek anywhere and stay.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Ensign peak would be cool. I wouldn't mind something longer either. I'll bet there's some cool stuff up above the U. I REALLY like wooded, forest type stuff.

I am not exactly in fighting shape yet, so I need to start slow and work my way up. I also have a long ski season ahead too. I am down for Ensign peak tomorrow or next Tuesday (if you need snow shoes by then). Friday's aren't that great for me since I have dates with my wife and she doesn't snow shoe. Millcreek could be a possiblility too. It gets so dark so early, what time would you be looking at?

sixstringsteve

I was supposed to go with a friend back country once, but had to work. He died in an avalanche. Since then I have been gun shy, until as of late.

Man, sorry to hear that. I'm not interested in backcountry snowshoeing, I'm too scared of avalanches.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I am not exactly in fighting shape yet, so I need to start slow and work my way up. I also have a long ski season ahead too. I am down for Ensign peak tomorrow or next Tuesday (if you need snow shoes by then). Friday's aren't that great for me since I have dates with my wife and she doesn't snow shoe. Millcreek could be a possiblility too. It gets so dark so early, what time would you be looking at?

No worries. I'll check with my wife to see if she wants to come too. I could be there by about 5:15 PM. I'm sure it'll be dark by then. if my commute doesn't work for you, no need to go out of your comfort zone to include me. We usually go at night by moonlight or headlamp anyway.

sixstringsteve

@ moab_cj5, someone just scheduled me for a late meeting tomorrow, so I'm not going to be able to make it up to Ensign Peak in time.

I may end up heading up AF Canyon later tomorrow night if anyone wants to join.

sixstringsteve

cool, I've never seen that. My wife and I usually start around 6 or 7 PM, so we could make that work. Do you think Ensign Peak has enough snow?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Looking out the window, it doesn't appear that the SL area has enough right now. May have to wait for a few more storms for that one. That will give me some time to get in better shape too. Skiing and snow shoeing are different types of activity, so i need to get more aerobics in...

smartass_kid

i'll throw my name into the hat, wife and i picked up a pair late last year and never used. gotten out a few times this year up in big cottonwood and like it a lot. we got a pair of older tubbs and like them, also got pair of adjustable poles and another set from savers.

i would be down for a good outing but not too crazy about nighttime and this weekend is busy.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I can do that. I can't likely be there until 5:45. I don't go south from dowtown very often, but it doesn't sound quick.

So, 5:45 on 12/10/13 at the Park N Ride in Big Cottonwood Canyon.

Donut falls is a fun, fairly short hike. I took some scouts up there last year. I can't make it out this week or next - too many things going on. Keep posting what you guys are up to, though. I would love to join you sometime!

sixstringsteve

We definitely will unimog. I've been wanting to meet you for a long time now. Hopefully its sooner rather than later.

Last edited: