The Snowshoeing Thread

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I drive a Jeep and I am getting out...:D

I have cross country skiied in the Uintahs and above Farmington, but this year I am taking my snow shoes rather than skis. Cross country skiing takes a type of coordination I was not blessed with (I wish that were different), and the equipment I have rented SUCKED! For this year's trip, I will make it to the Yurts faster and easier than the skiiers in the group, but they will make it back to the car faster and easier than I will. The difference is I will be using my comfortable equipment, and I won't have the blisters I had last time. It will also be easier to pull the sled with my gear with snow shoes. Maybe I'll just ride the sled back to the car...:cool:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'd like to do at least one overnight backpacking trip in the snow. I'm ok car camping in the snow, but backpacking worries me a bit, especially being in a remote area in the cold. I'll need a few solid backpacking overnighters in the snow before I'm ready for that. I don't know if I'd be able to get any sleep if I can hear the ice beneath me crackling.

You can rent a Yurt in the Uintahs. We are going with our scouts in Feburary. We did it last year on XC skis. This year I am taking my snow shoes instead. It was fun! Here is the website for more info:
http://www.brorayurts.org/

sixstringsteve

Has anyone taken their dogs out with them ?

Sorry for the long reply.

My dog has always gone with me. I'm kinda bummed dogs are banned up Big Cottonwood Canyon, but I'll get over it.

The first time we took him, we did a 3-hour trek up AF Canyon. I knew he could handle the mileage and I figured he'd be fine since he was covered in fur and it was a nice warm 30*. After about an hour, he started developing ice-balls under each foot. As he walked, the snow stuck to the fur between his toes and compacted, until he had golf-ball sized balls of ice under each foot. He was wimpering and it wasn't fun for him. My wife and I took turn biting the ice until it was gone, only to have it build back up 10 min later. I ended up carrying him out the last 20 min.

Since then, i did some researching. Paging Houndoc for verification... but I read that dogs regulate their heat through their feet (and via panting). Since he had ice under his feet, he was freezing, despite the warm fur coat he had. Ice only forms under his feet when the snow conditions and temperature are just right (or wrong in this case).

We did some more research and we realized that dogs run on the snow all the time in a little race called the iditarod. Doing more research, I realized that in certain (most) snow conditions, the dogs wore booties. I'd been to petsmart and seen the cute $50 booties for dogs, but I didn't think they'd be what he needed. Dogs don't need vibram rubber soles, they just need a barrier to prevent the snow from sticking. I fount these boots for him:

http://mountainridge.estoreadvanced.biz/index.php?p=product&id=2&parent=1

They're only $1.50 each ($6 for 4), and they actually stay on his feet because they use elastic velcro. Since we've used these, he's never had a problem being cold or getting ice balls under his feet. We've had him out about 5 times since then, and he loves it. It took him about an hour to get used to the boots and stop walking like a Tennessee hi-stepper, but he tolerates them just fine now. I have some spare green boots I can bring if you'd like to try them on your dog sometime (assuming he fits the "small" boot size).

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
You can rent a Yurt in the Uintahs. We are going with our scouts in Feburary. We did it last year on XC skis. This year I am taking my snow shoes instead. It was fun! Here is the website for more info:

the yurts in the ashley national forest can be rented too. They are only 30 bucks per night. We usually do that once a winter. About 3 miles each way.

We ski into one of these yurts every winter with our older scouts. We are going Dec 13-14th this year. It is a blast! Unlike you, I like the XC better than snowshoeing, but maybe that will change as I get out on the snowshoes more!

I think we are at bearclaw this year. Last year we were in Ridge - about a 4 mile ski in.

mesha

By endurance we conquer

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
We ski into one of these yurts every winter with our older scouts. We are going Dec 13-14th this year. It is a blast! Unlike you, I like the XC better than snowshoeing, but maybe that will change as I get out on the snowshoes more!

I think we are at bearclaw this year. Last year we were in Ridge - about a 4 mile ski in.

Last year we rented 3 of the Yurts, but I dont recall what one I stayed in (Bearclaw sounds familiar though). It was the 3 closest ones. This year I think it is simialr, but I think we have a smaller group this year. We aren't going until Feb.

As for XC skiing, I am sure I am the odd one out, but I am just not coordinated enough for it. I downhill ski a lot, and the principle is too different for an athetically challanged person like me. I am at the point where I prefer the snow shoes. I make better time and end up having more fun, even if it is a bit more work. I have XC skied many times, but last time I decided it would be my last time. I didn't enjoy the skiing part at all. It could have been the poor equipment, but I am not buying equipment for a 2 time per year outing when I already own snow shoes and downhill skis.

sixstringsteve

I went to the "know before you go" training at Black Diamond tonight. What a cool storefront/campus they have. It was a quick 1 hr overview of avalanches, and I learned a lot. I've never been one to hike the steepest chute and go boarding down it, but it's good info and a good reminder that snowshoers can cause avalanches as well. I plan on attending the 2-day training in January with my wife. I definitely recommend the "know before you go" free training though. Here's one of the video clips they use:

[video=youtube;Mi7xVexqgGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi7xVexqgGY[/video]

ZUKEYPR

sounds good to me, i'll bring the extra set of shoes.

I can be the guide since i go there often, falling into the doughnut isn't likely since it's a climb to get near it.

Had to laugh when I saw this quote. I have had the misfortune of falling through the falls many years ago trying to get that perfect shot. It was summer time though and before the big land slide there. That said, I've been snowshoeing better than 40 years and I stay clear of Doughnut Falls, perfect set up to get buried in an avalanche. If you haven't already I would suggest attending as much classes as you get on Avalanche training, the Wasatch has an extensive amount of slides a year. You only hear about the ones where the less Avalanche aware folks head out right after a major snowstorm or the more daring folks and get caught up in the them. Keep the Avalanche forecast phone number handy, check it often, but don't solely rely on it. If you are snowshoeing without a beacon you're dead wrong and flirting with disaster.

A good hike is Mill D Fork in Big Cottonwood all the way to Dog Lake. It however as well has a rather big slide zone. You'll know it when you see it. There are as well some great hikes near Midway. The best by far though are in the High Uintas, especially around Lilly Lake and Murdock Basin.

I have a set of antique beaver tails I occasionally pull out but my favorite are the MSR's Denali's for their ability to kick in stairs, their exceptional traversing capability, and their floatation, I rarely even need to attach the tails. I haven't been out since the winter of 07 and have been itching to do so. Probably wait a week or two though for all the new snow to settle. Avalanche potential is going to be extreme after this storm. I'm sure the cornices are really loading up. Guarantee someone that's inpatient is going to get buried.

Last edited: