The Snowshoeing Thread

sixstringsteve

Let's say 6 PM at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Tuesday night. Does that work?

I've never hiked that trail, and I'm a little bit afraid of walking into the donut hole if it's covered in snow.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I did it back in 1997 with some old school military type snow shoes. They were supposed to be made of magnesium.

My friend and I snow shoed up to the top of a ski hill. it took 4 hours to get to the top. Had lunch and hot chocolate. Then put our skis on and headed down. we were at the bottom after 10 minutes of skiing. needless to say, i never tried it again.

It was pretty fun though, I think if I had more modern snow shoes it would be a lot more fun.

smartass_kid

Let's say 6 PM at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Tuesday night. Does that work?

I've never hiked that trail, and I'm a little bit afraid of walking into the donut hole if it's covered in snow.

sounds good to me, i'll bring the extra set of shoes.

I can be the guide since i go there often, falling into the doughnut isn't likely since it's a climb to get near it.

B2-Bomber

have you guys tried cross-country skiing. kind of the same idea, just easier on the body

not for on hiking trails, even the backcountry skis would be poorly suited for hiking-type trails (and likely nowhere near "easier on the body"). you need traction, and floatation. 1, out of 2 won't cut it

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Probably, but not quite as crazy as the people who shut themselves indoors all winter long. :)

That's true, can't stand that one. I need to get out and do at least some things with the snow. I take my daughter sledding typically. I'm too out of shape to take part in these hiking activities lol

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Nah, Jeep go to the mall sometimes too. :p (lest anyone get offended, Mesha and I are just joking, it's all tongue in cheek.)

haha so true. Funny enough I got my first set of snowshoes at the mall. I have been hooked ever since.

I want to do a winter backpacking trip across a big frozen lake. Like flaming gorge or similar. I just need it to freeze enough to be safe. I think walking for a couple days on a straight path and sleeping on the crackling ice would be awesome.

sixstringsteve

I'd like to do at least one overnight backpacking trip in the snow. I'm ok car camping in the snow, but backpacking worries me a bit, especially being in a remote area in the cold. I'll need a few solid backpacking overnighters in the snow before I'm ready for that. I don't know if I'd be able to get any sleep if I can hear the ice beneath me crackling.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I'd like to do at least one overnight backpacking trip in the snow. I'm ok car camping in the snow, but backpacking worries me a bit, especially being in a remote area in the cold. I'll need a few solid backpacking overnighters in the snow before I'm ready for that. I don't know if I'd be able to get any sleep if I can hear the ice beneath me crackling.

I wouldn't get any sleep either, but it would be awesome.

Overnight snowshoeing trips are super amazing. There are a few good places to go with minimal risk. Backpacking into campgrounds that are closed in the winter is cool, cause you get a picnic table and fire pit (if you can find them under the snow).

sixstringsteve

maybe I'll try an overnighter up granite flats. If anything catastrophic happens, I'll be a short hike back to the truck. That's a good idea.

MattL

I bought a used pair a couple of years ago and have yet to really try them out. Id love to go pending on time.
Id love to give ensign peak or anything behind the U a go.
Side note, has anyone taken their dogs out with them ?