The Snowshoeing Thread

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I started to rack up a huge bill with "just in case" gear, only to realize I don't travel in the backcountry where it would be beneficial. After a beacon, an avalung made sense, followed by a pack with inflatable wings, and before I know it, I'm at a $1000 ticket for gear that I wouldn't use.

I'll carry your probe while we're hiking, so I can at least find you. If i get buried, then just dig for 5 minutes then give up on me.

I ended up thinking the same thing. That is why I don't have a beacon or an avalung.

When we go together I have an extra probe.

ozzy702

I'm planning on spending new years up AF Canyon, snowshoeing and backpacking on the ridge trail (157). Thinking of starting at Pine Hollow and heading towards trail 41 to Tibble Fork. Who's in?

I'm interested. Jan 1 at what time? How many miles and what kind of elevation gain?

jentzschman

I picked up a two pack of light weight collapsable shovels at Costco and plan to carry it with me just in case, as well as getting use to carrying gear.

sixstringsteve

I'm interested. Jan 1 at what time? How many miles and what kind of elevation gain?

These are good questions that I don't have answers to. :D

Leaving: 8 PM on Tuesday, Dec 31st.

We will hike about 3 miles to Mud Springs and camp somewhere in that area. The next morning, Jan 1st, we will wake up, have breakfast, then hike ~5 miles to Tibble Fork. I would guess no more than 2000 feet elevation gain for the total trip. I don't mind going slow as long as everyone is capable of making it. Mud Springs is 3 miles from a road, so it would be a long miserable night for the unprepared.

Last edited:

ozzy702

These are good questions that I don't have answers to. :D

Leaving: 8 PM on Tuesday, Dec 31st.

We will hike about 3 miles to Mud Springs and camp somewhere in that area. The next morning, Jan 1st, we will wake up, have breakfast, then hike ~5 miles to Tibble Fork. I would guess no more than 2000 feet elevation gain for the total trip. I don't mind going slow as long as everyone is capable of making it. Mud Springs is 3 miles from a road, so it would be a long miserable night for the unprepared.

Hmm... My wife is due on Jan 9th... so I should probably not even entertain the thought of an overnighter... darn... that sounds like a LOT of fun! Most of my buddies won't do outdoors stuff and those that will are usually on lock down by their wives. :)

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
beacons are nice. I don't have one yet either. I take a probe and like friends to have a probe. It gives me at least some chance of finding someone buried. Beacons work better, but unless the buried victim and the rescuers have them they don't help.

I was doing some beacon training a while back and the beacon cut the time of rescue down significantly. Probes were still needed to actually find the person.

You can rent beacons rather cheap from BYU, UofU and I belive REI as well... problem is when you don't own a beacon and haven't practiced with a beacon just having one doesn't help out very much when you are freaking out because you just watched your friend get buried under an avalanche. I wouldn't want to go out with a bunch of people who hadn't spent time training with their beacon and count on them being able to find me.

sans beacons or even other people take the time to dig a snow testing hole, keep an eye on the avalanche forecast (there is even an app for that), and read up on avalanche stuff I suggest Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain [Bruce Tremper]

sixstringsteve

So the temps at the summit parking lot below Timp have been 20-30* warmer than here down in the valley lately. That's great news for our new year's overnighter.

Last night it got down to 0* in Lehi. The lowest it hit at the summit was 28*.

ozzy702

So the temps at the summit parking lot below Timp have been 20-30* warmer than here down in the valley lately. That's great news for our new year's overnighter.

Last night it got down to 0* in Lehi. The lowest it hit at the summit was 28*.

Where do you get your info on summit temps? That would be super helpful in planning trips.

jentzschman

Steve, what size pack are you using for your overnighters?

The biggest I have is 33L and not sure that will be big enough for winter style overnighters

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

ozzy702

Steve, what size pack are you using for your overnighters?

The biggest I have is 33L and not sure that will be big enough for winter style overnighters

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

Only way you'll know is to pack all your gear and see if it fits. I have a gregory pack that claims to be 75L but holds a LOT less than my 70L Osprey pack. Shoot, my ULA circuit feels like it holds more than many packs that have similar rated storage.

I use a Gossamer Gear Gorilla and it is about the right size (39L main, 46L total) for everything I like to carry in a cold weather overnighter, but I use every bit of the main pack body. I do like to be prepared for everything clothing-wise.

jentzschman

I use a Gossamer Gear Gorilla and it is about the right size (39L main, 46L total) for everything I like to carry in a cold weather overnighter, but I use every bit of the main pack body. I do like to be prepared for everything clothing-wise.

Agreed. I would rather overpack in a winter conditions. Guess I better start looking for a larger pack. I have been wanting one anyway...