The "trophy husband" pro mod buggy build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I had to buy a mixer for the neverending tile job. The tile store had this massive drill/mixer combo for $99, so I went with that. It will definitely be used with a notcher when I get one.

I actually thought Nate's drill WAS the mixer one... I didn't look that close, obviously. This one: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-low-speed-spade-handle-drillmixer-56179.html

Now I see it's just a drill. 😁 And 2800 RPM's.... definitely faster than hole saws will like for long life. (still better than a cordless, I bet)

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I actually thought Nate's drill WAS the mixer one... I didn't look that close, obviously. This one: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-low-speed-spade-handle-drillmixer-56179.html

Now I see it's just a drill. 😁 And 2800 RPM's.... definitely faster than hole saws will like for long life. (still better than a cordless, I bet)
It has a variable speed trigger otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I start notches fast and then slow down once the cutting begins. That combined with oil and I get good life out of hole saws.

N-Smooth

I got like 3 hours out there today 😢

Since getting the new notcher I really wanted to mess with it and get it dialed so I did just that. I got one of the floor pieces for the passenger side put in, it’s offset two directions. It was fun doing that for the first time.
37403047-6ABA-4033-B896-CE4A2CB8C334.jpegThen I did some support tubes to the bottom of the front seat mount tubes since I’m cutting the middle section out. They had to be different due to different space constraints but I’m pleased.
FB049C25-A6B2-4E14-90FB-AE9B387FAC86.jpeg
I also got three little tubes notched and floating in between the rear seat tube and chassis tube. I’ll weld them in when I decide where everything else is going.
C5763AA5-7CEE-45EE-8E22-455301DB7725.jpeg
The real MVP is the little cutting oil mount I made on my vise stand 🤣
01B8C6DB-1ECD-495C-A221-D90CC62369B7.jpeg

N-Smooth

Looking good!
I can't be bothered to use cutting oil. 🤣
Yeah it’s definitely a bit of a pain and it seems like most of it just flies off and covers my floor 🤣 but we’ll see if it makes hole saws last a little longer

N-Smooth

Tonight @skippy finished up my gear and locker install for the rear axle. I want to say I helped but I’m nothing if not honest.
B8F69ABC-9DD8-4554-8CC7-A9ECDF972F39.jpeg
I’m pretty sure I need a new back after moving it out of my truck and around my garage by myself. It’s amazing how much heavier it is with the gears and zip locker. Yikes!

I took the little time I had remaining in the garage and made a couple little support tubes to tie the door bar nodes into the “dash” bar. These are the sharpest notches I’ve done so far and it’s amazing how much better the RF notcher handles them over the HF notcher. Fun stuff.
6B38D7FA-2878-48AA-8698-F64053110D99.jpeg
C2D913B7-691F-4953-BDD4-81A71A70697A.jpeg

N-Smooth

I dropped my brand new beadlocks off at Armor Coatings on Wednesday. I’ve never had anything powdered before but now that I’m going to be a GME bajillionaire (jaykay) I decided to start living a lavish lifestyle. I can’t wait to see the color and share it with you guys. It’s going to be STUPID.

I set aside a good chunk of time to work on it today but then @STAG stopped by to pick something up and we talked for a couple hours. I still managed to get the roof spreaders in though and I’m stoked on the results.
9F609411-76BF-405D-ADE1-8B35B6EFC5B4.jpeg
314CC6CA-D3C0-44A0-A781-E3E0E9CA78B8.jpeg
I need to make a run to Midnight4x4 for some more tube but it’s hard to do that when my trailer has snow on it. Ugh.

N-Smooth

I had a fruitful yet frustrating night tonight. I got the b pillar supports in. I knew going into it that the angled, or V tubes would not be able to connect to the b pillar due to the seats being in the way. Cool, no biggie they’ll still totally save my life. Then I went to add the vertical tube because again, I don’t want to die and also it will help the cage withstand a hard roll much better. Not dying is cool but not having to replace tubes is even cooler. Well, since it’s straight vertical that gives me a weird vibe because of the contrast to the V tubes. I decided I don’t care, it’s fine.
But then the V tubes jumped out and hurt me when viewing from one angle, straight from the side. They bug me. I’ve seen other buggies done this way and liked it but man I’m not stoked. Make me feel better or something 🤣

Like.
6660522D-8853-434C-B222-A868FB007DB0.jpeg
Like.
E958C139-4CD7-4373-B9F3-4CB7666ADF9A.jpeg
Like.
B91410D1-5F4B-4D5D-949B-1C2DB0D5BA7F.jpegNo like.
AD391C2A-C6BA-43CA-86A5-27AF485FB845.jpeg
I imagine once the whole thing is done I simply won’t care and may not even notice anymore but as of right now it bugs me and there’s really no solution.

N-Smooth

After thinking about it very deeply in the shower I decided it’ll be broken up by stuff like the radiator being behind that tube. I think it hurts my eyes so bad because it’s wide open right now. Here’s to hoping I’m right about that 🍺

RockChucker

B pillar is vertical to support the joint? If you kicked the b pillar back 5ish° it would probably line up? You could always double up the b pillar too...also effective in preventing death

N-Smooth

B pillar is vertical to support the joint? If you kicked the b pillar back 5ish° it would probably line up? You could always double up the b pillar too...also effective in preventing death
yeah if I kicked it back it wouldn't connect with the top tube so I don't want to do that. Maybe I will run another tube to the shock mount. That would break things up. We'll see...
1612450273818.png