The upcoming moto ride/quick report.

Caleb

We rode a bit tonight up AFC. Rode 157 to 173 to 41. We had a new rider with us and he was tired as hell, so we ran the pavement back up to the summit parking lot from Tibble. 41 is a pretty easy trail (I'd never ran it before). We also ended up riding 252 (front he parking lot down) in the dark looking for a lost Mnt. Biker. That was pretty fun too :D

This made me think of a pretty good loop, similar to our recent Saturday ride, from the summit parking lot 157 -> 173 -> 41 -> 40 -> 157 -> 252 back to the parking lot. I bet it would be 20-25 miles and cover a good part of all the trails up there. You'd completely skip all the river crossing besides the last one right before the switchbacks up 40.

MattL

We rode a bit tonight up AFC. Rode 157 to 173 to 41. We had a new rider with us and he was tired as hell, so we ran the pavement back up to the summit parking lot from Tibble. 41 is a pretty easy trail (I'd never ran it before). We also ended up riding 252 (front he parking lot down) in the dark looking for a lost Mnt. Biker. That was pretty fun too :D

This made me think of a pretty good loop, similar to our recent Saturday ride, from the summit parking lot 157 -> 173 -> 41 -> 40 -> 157 -> 252 back to the parking lot. I bet it would be 20-25 miles and cover a good part of all the trails up there. You'd completely skip all the river crossing besides the last one right before the switchbacks up 40.

You planning on making a thursday a standard riding day? This sounded fun.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... We also ended up riding 252 (front he parking lot down) in the dark looking for a lost Mnt. Biker. That was pretty fun too :D

I have mountain biked the AFC trails in the dark before... not because we wanted to, just one of those evening rides where we kept having problems getting and keeping going. We ended up riding the last several miles in pitch black with no lights... and it was one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had up there! It was so much fun, you could just see the outline of the trail and that was all you needed.

I have long thought about doing a mid-Summer AF Canyon night ride on motorcycles... a good headlight, perhaps some helmet lights too and riding in the dark sounds like such a fun time to me.

Caleb

You planning on making a thursday a standard riding day? This sounded fun.

Well, currently I work evenings and have for the last year. However, I'm going back to a normal 9-5 shift starting in September. I could make thursdays a normal riding day, that would't take much convincing :D It was a way fun ride even though we rode REAL slow due to Noah's buddy that was with us.

I have mountain biked the AFC trails in the dark before... not because we wanted to, just one of those evening rides where we kept having problems getting and keeping going. We ended up riding the last several miles in pitch black with no lights... and it was one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had up there! It was so much fun, you could just see the outline of the trail and that was all you needed.

I have long thought about doing a mid-Summer AF Canyon night ride on motorcycles... a good headlight, perhaps some helmet lights too and riding in the dark sounds like such a fun time to me.

Yeah, it was a blast. I was loving it. It kind of made that trail that I have done several times, in to a whole new trail. I only had a headlight and I think it was sufficient. Noah (my buddy I ride with) had a headlight for about 90% but his switches shorted out and he ended up riding the last little bit with only his blinkers on :rofl:

A night time AFC ride would be awesome. You would't have to deal with really any other trail users, and it would give those trails a new twist :)

MattL

Went up today with a buddy. Had a great time. Got some great seat time. I saw Steve taking off out of the parking lot. I yelled but guess not loud enough.

Here is the route we took if I read my gps right
tibble 41 173 40 172 39 157 171 157 198 007 85 tibble

It was a great day, perfect weather, not to many people, 1 rudeish horse group and one non law abiding group of utv'ers that crossed the closed lines at the top of mineral basin. Jerks!

If some one wants the gpx file let me know.

sixstringsteve

I'll be riding AF canyon singletrack tomorrow night. Meet at my house at 5:15. I'm getting better at riding up there (no crashes on the log steps last week), so I shouldn't hold anyone back TOO much.

Anyone and everyone's welcome to join. We'll probably take 41 up to the ridge trail, and take 40 down. If we get daring, we may even take the ridge trail over above forest lake, by the shale hill.

sixstringsteve

why yes, they do share a resemblance. :D

Had a great ride today. Rode 40 up to 157 and down forest lake. Forest lake is a lot rockier than it has been in past years. The hard parts are easier, and the easy parts are harder. Looks to be a fun trail in a 4x4. I enjoyed going down it, it was a nice change up.

I got my butt handed to me right when we got on 157. It was just too loose and rocky for me, and i got tired from picking the bike up over and over again. I think I'm going to go one tooth smaller on the front for situations like these, so I can stay in the powerband without having to go so fast I'm bouncing out of control off every rock in my way.

It was a blast though.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My thursday night commitments just got cancelled for the rest of August, so I am down for riding if you guys are still doing it weekly

sixstringsteve

yup. 6 PM tonight at tibble. I'm not sure if I"m going to trailer up there, or ride on up. I ride a red cr125 and I wear a purple chest protector, and i'm super short. I'd say you can't miss me, but I'm so short you just might. :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I was thinking of riding 40 up the switchbacks, up to 157 to pole line pass. From there we can see how much light is left. Maybe we can make it all the way to trail 32. Just a thought.

sixstringsteve

had a great ride with kurt and a few motoutah guys last night.

I'm planning on going back up AF canyon tomorrow afternoon if anyone wants to come. I'm thinking about 4PM. Post up if you're interested.