The upcoming moto ride/quick report.

MattL

How was the ride Steve?
Went out for a short over night trip with a friend. From Magna, hit the freeway then Lakepoint traversed the dirt as much as possible over to Soldier canyon and messed around up there. Camped and rode home in the morning. Gotta give it up to those that pack a weeks worth of crap on their bike and then proceed to haul balls in the dirt. New experience. I used a backpack and rigged up a bag on the back fender. I need to decide if this is something I want to do more before I get in deep on buying gear.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
FWIW Steve, I went down 3 times the other night. This was from the worst one:

IMG_20110702_111235.jpg

A pair a riding boots would have prevented this one...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I rode up Butterfield to the mine overlook Saturday. I saw two guys on ds bikes down by the horse area. I didn't stop, but should have. Must have been about 630pm when I passed them. Just wondering if it was anyone on here?
Anyways it was a nice ride. The first for me in a while as I've had a dead battery. I just upgraded it to a much larger one. 80cca to 190cca. Starts much nicer now. I heard that the mine was going to close the canyon because they are going to start digging further south. Either that was not true or they haven't started yet. I got to the top in time to see thunder storms all around me, but not on me. It was a pretty cool site.

Caleb

I rode up Butterfield to the mine overlook Saturday. I saw two guys on ds bikes down by the horse area. I didn't stop, but should have. Must have been about 630pm when I passed them. Just wondering if it was anyone on here?
Anyways it was a nice ride. The first for me in a while as I've had a dead battery. I just upgraded it to a much larger one. 80cca to 190cca. Starts much nicer now. I heard that the mine was going to close the canyon because they are going to start digging further south. Either that was not true or they haven't started yet. I got to the top in time to see thunder storms all around me, but not on me. It was a pretty cool site.
I've yet to ride up Butterfields this year, I need to get up there. The expansion is going to happen. If you google Kennecott Rose Canyon, you'll see they finalized the deal for $5.3 million to SLCO. There's lots of news stories on it, there's even a facebook page protesting it :rofl: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Citizens-Against-Mining-in-Rose-CanyonHerriman/114289481970105

rholbrook

Thinking about heading up to the trail above Pine View Res. tonight after work. We will see how far we can go. Anyone else want to join in? Thinking about leaving Kaysville around 5 pm.

MattL

Correct me if I am wrong, I thought that it was illegal to ride up this.

Let me know as Id like to check it out.

Caleb

Correct me if I am wrong, I thought that it was illegal to ride up this.

Let me know as Id like to check it out.
Nope, it's completely legal. We rode it last year, very fun ride as long as you don't attempt Ben Lomond Peak :D

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
I rode to the top of Butterfield tonight on my way home, to the overlook. I did it on my Triumph Tiger 1050, because I didn't realize what the road was going to be like. I made it up eventually, a fair bit of tire spin. Easily attributed to Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. Heh! Stopped in at the Triumph dealer on the way home, and nearly traded that sucker in on a new Tiger, to bridge the gap between touring and dirt. Maybe next time. :)

Caleb

I think Matt was referring to Butterfield?
Good call...I guess it's not a good idea posting on forums when I've only had a couple hours of sleep for the last week :D

As for Butterfield, it's also 100% legal too as long as you stay on the road and the gate is open. (which it is now) You do need to be street legal to ride it though since it's a state route.

sixstringsteve

I'd really like to hit AF canyon this evening, but I need to finish my bike first. If anyone wants to lend a hand, I'd be happy to have you over, then we could go riding after.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

not sure what's rideable at the moment. I know you can at least get up to pole line pass, and silver lake flatts is open.

It'll be my maiden voyage on the new bike, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Just promise we won't do mary ellen's, that trail rocked me last time.

Caleb

If you see this (doubt you will) go up and ride trail 252. That's a fun pretty easy single track that's not rocky. Better than riding dirt roads :)

sixstringsteve

I couldn't find anyone to ride with, so I just went to Lambert Park in Alpine and messed around. Thanks though Caleb, I'll hit that trail next week.

I'm back in the game. My bike works wonderfully and I can't wait to ride it. Thursday night is open for me, as is this upcoming saturday.

Last edited: