THE VOLVO...Ugly semi truck crawler hauler build thread

LT.

Yep, I am a little distructive. I still feel bad about that. Maybe it was a good thing. Jonah could have been there to knock it down instead of me. I will keep telling myself that, so I don't feel so bad anyways. The truck is big, and I am going to have tow rig envy.

LT.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Looks cool!

If your not using that center console and it's not all torn and broke I know of a super duty that needs one ;)

90% sure I wont be using it. It doesnt have any rips but the console might be broken a little. Mine in my Superduty is the same way. Just like someone big sat on it while the console was down. It still functions fine tho. Let me know if your interested

Thanks for all the compliments! I really hope it turns out ok but more importantly I just hope it works

ChestonScout

Started tinkering with the hitch support

little more

You can see the gooseneck hitch that used to be bolted to the frame. Half thinking about installing it on the dove tail just in case i ever need it. We'll see

ChestonScout

Got a couple pics of the seats and bases

As you can see.....altho the cab looks friggin massive on the outside, there really isnt a ton of room. It has a futon type seat in the sleeper which the wife wants to keep. With the front seats in, I can sit behind them on the futon but it isnt comfy. So the foot room for the back seat is in the middle of the front seats. Then the dash has the lame jog out in the center so between those 2 issues...I cant get the console in there.

I would like to do 2 bucket seats in the sleeper facing eachother to fix this issue. I think it would be nice but like I said, wife wants the futon. She likes the idea of sleeping back there while we are driving. But I will worry about that later.

Obviously I have a little work left to do on the bases. Need to cap the ends and then bolt them to the floor

ChestonScout

Started the day yesterday trying to make a decision on the goose neck hitch.

I was thinking it would just be to easy to bolt it in where its at there. But after looking at it, its just way to low to the ground. Cant get a perfect measurement since Im working in the dirt but its about 27" off the ground is all. I could build it up and make it work, which would kill my little cooler mount spot and I dont need the hitch.....So that idea got ditched.

Got a better pic of my hitch and supports and I made a little V gusset.

The C channel in between will have 4 or 5 bolts thru to mount it it to the semi cross member.

In my opinion, with just that and the subframe resting against the semi frame...it would be plenty strong. But I wanted to add just a little more strength.

The bottom of the truck frame had the holes drilled thru where the goose neck hitch was mounted. I figured they would be a good thing to use. And since I wasnt using the GN hitch anymore.....I just hacked off the side plates where it bolted down and used them for my supports. Plenty thick and the holes already lined up!

then a couple bolts to attach it to my sub frame and it will be good to go.

After this I was almost out of shielding gas for the welder. So I did some finish welding til it was gone and I called it a day.

Not a ton of progress but between the cold and the snow yesterday, I was happy to get anything done. Next I will finish weld the rest of it and start adding the tread plate to sides and the deck. Wire in some lights after that and then on the next project.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The 6v92 was one of the first big truck engines I ever drove. Loved that engine. It wraps up rpm wicked fast, which can make it a Bitch to shift if you are new. Mine was uber-low geared and had a max speed of 55. Don't be afraid to skip shift those low range gears.

If your stacks are unmuffled, you will love the sound... For a short time. Everyone else will hate it after 30 seconds. Awesome sounding motor, but it can be awesome loud, uncorked. Please tell me it has an engine brake. It will turn heads with the sound it makes with an engine retarder. (THAT 'S RIGHT, I SAID RETARDER, AND ITS THE PROPER FRIKKEN TERM!!) Retards are very useful in my line of work. We use em constantly, and they're reliable as hell. My retard is named Jake. I love my retard. He makes my job safer. :)

In the late 80's, volvo had the best riding cabs. The leaf suspension may negate that. It wouldn't be hard to convert it to air ride later on. Shouldn't cost much, either. You will be surprised how affordable the suspension and brake parts are. Probably cheaper than your Super duty.

Air ride seats are also very rebuildable, somewhat modular, and not too expensive to buy second hand, gently used. Keep that in mind if your current seats kill your kidneys. I know the leaf Springs will. If you max out your axle weights, it will help with ride quality.

You should have plenty of parts available in the two truck bone yards I know of. One in Tremonton, and the other just south of Smith & Edwards.

Tires. Looks like your tires are not traction tires. That will suck for anything but dry pavement. You will pray often in winter with those. Look into used tires, but not recaps. A nice set of half used drive tires will last you at least 100k miles. Michelin XDN tires are the best wearing, best traction tire I ever used. We used to run them over 300k miles. Avoid recaps. They WILL blow, and they will tear shit up when they do. Keep your pressure at 120 psi unless you have a long drive empty. Low pressure and Max loads = blown tires.

Cool truck, very easy to work on. Very easy to get parts for. Great motor. Unique sound.

ChestonScout

The 6v92 was one of the first big truck engines I ever drove. Loved that engine. It wraps up rpm wicked fast, which can make it a Bitch to shift if you are new. Mine was uber-low geared and had a max speed of 55. Don't be afraid to skip shift those low range gears.

If your stacks are unmuffled, you will love the sound... For a short time. Everyone else will hate it after 30 seconds. Awesome sounding motor, but it can be awesome loud, uncorked. Please tell me it has an engine brake. It will turn heads with the sound it makes with an engine retarder. (THAT 'S RIGHT, I SAID RETARDER, AND ITS THE PROPER FRIKKEN TERM!!) Retards are very useful in my line of work. We use em constantly, and they're reliable as hell. My retard is named Jake. I love my retard. He makes my job safer. :)

In the late 80's, volvo had the best riding cabs. The leaf suspension may negate that. It wouldn't be hard to convert it to air ride later on. Shouldn't cost much, either. You will be surprised how affordable the suspension and brake parts are. Probably cheaper than your Super duty.

Air ride seats are also very rebuildable, somewhat modular, and not too expensive to buy second hand, gently used. Keep that in mind if your current seats kill your kidneys. I know the leaf Springs will. If you max out your axle weights, it will help with ride quality.

You should have plenty of parts available in the two truck bone yards I know of. One in Tremonton, and the other just south of Smith & Edwards.

Tires. Looks like your tires are not traction tires. That will suck for anything but dry pavement. You will pray often in winter with those. Look into used tires, but not recaps. A nice set of half used drive tires will last you at least 100k miles. Michelin XDN tires are the best wearing, best traction tire I ever used. We used to run them over 300k miles. Avoid recaps. They WILL blow, and they will tear shit up when they do. Keep your pressure at 120 psi unless you have a long drive empty. Low pressure and Max loads = blown tires.

Cool truck, very easy to work on. Very easy to get parts for. Great motor. Unique sound.

Yup...

The truck is VERY different to drive than the Mack truck I learned in. Shifting was.....interesting. But I will get it down. Just need some more practice.

The truck is straight piped right now. Might be part of the reason I wanted the truck...it sounds wicked cool!! I plan on adding stacks and I might try to sneak in a muffler underneath. I dont want mufflers on the stacks.

NO JAKE BRAKE... :( I seriously am going to consider adding one someday.

As soon as it warms up a little (and I save a little money) Im gonna go walk thru both of those truck yards and see what I can find.

My tires have good tread depth but the sidewalls are starting to weather check. I plan on getting tractions for the back for sure. And I agree.....nothing wrong with going used tires on this truck. New ones will dry rot well before I could ever wear them out. I will most likely wait til fall to replace them tho. Get a few more miles out of these.

Thanks for your input!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I don't know what it involves to add the Jake on this motor. I know it's simple on a Cummins. You may find one on eBay.

And don't worry about grinding the gears a little. I have yet to hurt one of those trans, and I abused them well over the last 20 years. Shifting is always easier at the lower rpms.

Last edited:
Adding a jake usually means new head(s) - not usually a cheap or easy thing unless you find a deal. For all semi parts, I've had pretty good luck with Vriens truck parts (www.vrienstruckparts.com) over on Beck Street. Looks like they have a bunch of stuff listed online nowadays. For used tires and/or wheels, see West Valley Tire at 1975 South 1045 West.

LT.

Adding a jake usually means new head(s) - not usually a cheap or easy thing unless you find a deal. For all semi parts, I've had pretty good luck with Vriens truck parts (www.vrienstruckparts.com) over on Beck Street. Looks like they have a bunch of stuff listed online nowadays. For used tires and/or wheels, see West Valley Tire at 1975 South 1045 West.

Hey brother, you need to go there just because of the street name!

LT.

ChestonScout

Had the day off work today so I decided to do a little playing with the vulva

With the warmer weather the side of my house is a mud hole. I had a LOT of finish welding to do underneath. I wasnt about to lay in the mud so I did some rearranging and backed the truck into the garage.

Its been a couple months since Ive started the truck. Took a little cranking but it started pretty easy. I should have took video of it starting for Hickey! I will do it one of these days.

Tight fit but it was very very nice to not be in the mud

Really not a whole lot of pics to show. I finish welded everything that was tacked on and added some gusseting here and there. Im pretty sure the thing is going to be stupid strong.

I found these flush mount LEDs at Cal Ranch. Perfect for this project. Just had to drill a 1" hole for the wires to go thru and then 4 small holes for the mounts. I only bought 2 lights but after messing with it, and asking the wife.....we decided we want 2 lights on each side.

The wife pulled the old stinky carpet out of the cab today. Tomorrow Im hoping to mess with the diamond plate on the sides of the dovetail and maybe get the seats bolted down.

ChestonScout

This friggin dovetail is taking longer than it should but what do you do I guess.

The last one I built on the F650 I did after my knee surgery and while I was on crutches. Still dont remember it taking this long.

Using old used metal takes time. Speaking of which....Im out of the old square tube. And with just a little more bracing to do, I just used some 1.75" tube I had sitting for bracing.

I was going to do a V instead of the X but I decided the X would provide a little more spread out support for the decking and should do the job

busted out the old tread plate I bought awhile back for the sides. Its 1/4". Im pretty disappointed in how different the pattern is but money was spent so it got cut up and used. Like Leroy told me.....at 80 mph and the other side of the freeway....you may not even be able to tell. hahaha

Lots of welding on these pieces. They really stiffened the whole dove up tho

This is where I ran out of wire.

I was considering doing wood for the decking on the center but Ive decided to just tread plate it as well. I will have to buy another sheet but just go 1/8" this time around.

So Ive got just a few more pieces of tread plate to install, drill a couple holes, and wire in some lights and a trailer plug and this part of the project will be done