THE VOLVO...Ugly semi truck crawler hauler build thread

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
After that I couldnt think of anything else I wanted to do to the dove for now so I busted out the cup gun, threw on some primer and then 2 coats of flat black Rustoluem.

I would like to build some storage for the ramps under the dove but that will be a project another day. So that wraps up the dovetail for now.

Next I decided to start messing with the stake sides and flare around the tire. I mentioned it was close to the tire....

Ive thought of a few ways to fix this.
My first thought was to lift the suspension. The bed sits flat empty. With the Scout loaded up its about 2" low in the back. I figured a 2" block wouldnt probably cause to much harm and then the truck would be level going down the road which should keep the tires clear. After looking at how big the u bolts are and having nightmares of what they must cost, I mostly scrapped that idea. I may end up doing a 1" block still because I have 1.25" of exposed threads on the existing u bolts. We will see if I need it first tho.

So here is what I came up with. Stake side pockets and a flare out on the bed.

The pockets arent spaced evenly but I couldnt make it work around the tire so this will have to do.

The bed is 1/4" tread plate. Under the outside edge than ran a big angle iron for support. Its pretty much that angle that was gonna hit the sidewall. If they would have made the bed 1" wider on each side there would be no issues at all. So out came the plas.

After cleaning that up, I welded the tread plate to the angle iron all the way around to give it some support. Next I cut 1" filler plates for the sides and then trimmed down the piece of bedside that was removed and tacked it all together

Filler piece on top

Doesnt look half bad to me and should do its job. I think with that all welded solid and the stake sides, it should be plenty stout. Stake sides will be convenient Im sure.

Was gonna weld it all in but the batteries gave out in my hood. I busted out the old school helmet but its WAY to dark to see anything so I stopped. Have to get that resolved quick.

I ordered up some LED marker lights that should be here this week. I get them in and the tail lights wired up and Im really hoping to get the truck inspected next week. Still a ways to go to be usable but I think its ready to be legal. Need to get some miles under its belt to see what issues are gonna present themselves

ChestonScout

Ive got some weld on D rings that I will put right on the deck.

The straps will attach from the axles and will run towards the center of the Scout. I may also run straps over the tires if I can find straps that long. haha

ChestonScout

Got another piece of the equation solved today. As I posted the whole reason for doing this setup was to have the ability to haul the Scout and a camper at the same time.

I had planned on just a normal camper but after thinking about it and debating with myself for months, I decided a toy hauler would fit the bill better.

First off, as shown in my pics, the flat bed of the semi is overflowing with Scout when its loaded. Not room for much of anything. I have a dirt bike and the wife has a 4 wheeler. Figured it would be nice to be able to haul all the toys to our destinations. And then also, my garage is super small. The Mustang project occupies one half and the Scout II is on the other. I stuff my bike between and the quad lives outside. I figured the toy hauler will make a great garage for the toys when not in use.

I really wanted one about 20' long. If you get to much camper then you just have dirtbag friends wanting to crash with you. lol...Ive been that dirtbag friend many times. Also, with only one boy we just didnt need the space. BUT I wanted a front stay down bed. Im to old and fat to be climbing a ladder to a top bunk bed. Finding one with this floor plan proved to be difficult. New haulers seem to have it figured out but Im poor folk.

So to keep with the theme of this whole project (which is overly BIG) we brought this home.

Its a 2000 Weekend Warrior. 30' long and 35' from hitch to bumper. WAAAAAAYY more camper than we need but I guess its better to have the room and not need it than vice versa. Good thing I dont have many dirtbag friends. But if I did, I could fit A LOT.

Its heavy. I dont know weight yet but its up there. I think it looks worse in the pics than it is because I had my drop hitch to low. It sagged the truck down as much as the Scout did on the car hauler trailer. Seemed to pull just fine. Just long.

Good thing it will be pulled by a semi truck most the time!

I also did this the other day which has slowed me down.

Rolled it pretty good. Feeling a bit better now tho.

I got all my LED marker lights and Im hoping to get them installed tomorrow. But I will have to work in the morning to make up for taking most the day off today to get the camper bought and home. With any luck it will be ready for inspection by the end of the holiday

RogueJeepr

Here!
Hope the ankle gets better . Hate to be the bearer of bad news but have you googled "Weekend Warrier" . My dad had one of these and the whole wall was rotted out along with the floor. They got cheap on the frame design also wich caused the leaks .

ChestonScout

I did do some reading before hand.

Sounds like a handful of people had problems.

This one was on the recall list. The frame was professionally repaired. By the looks of it, they cut the front A section off, doubled up the 6" C channel back to back all the way back to the axles, installed a new A with added support and added a bunch of gussets. Looks stupidly overkilled to me. The repair was done about 5 years ago. Im not worried about it.

The camper is not perfect. I can see a couple spots that might be getting a little wet but nothing to serious in my book. Nothing some seam sealer shouldnt take care of. Its 15 years old so cant expect it to be perfect. But the price was right as well.

The floor is solid everywhere. Even in the storage areas it looks good to me.

Fingers crossed it lasts me a good number of years

Ankle is getting better. Its to the point today where it doesnt hurt. So then I forget its weak and do something dumb like jump off a porch. Then Im reminded its still hurt. lol Should be good in a few days I bet

Cascadia

Undecided
Usually there is a sticker on the front driver side of the trailer that has the weight. We have the same setup. We both have truck and trailers. Now I just need a semi. :eek:

ChestonScout

You beat me to getting a trailer! How much will that add to the semi squat?

Your guess is as good as mine at this point. Hopefully get everything loaded and check soon.

Guess I assumed wrong. Figured your truck would have rear airbags.

I sure wish it did. Someday most likely. The problem is if I am goinh to swap out the rear axle, I would like to extend the wheelbase at the same time. The current bed really wont allow that

ChestonScout

Got a few things done this weekend but not as much as I hoped.

I ended up working about a half day saturday and when I got home I figured I better try to do something about this.

Thats the Superduty after about 10 minutes of run time. It has had a small leak for awhile but the last few days its gotten bad. It took me quite awhile to find it but I finally did. Heres my bitch

Its one of the plugs on top of the head. You can see the buggered o ring. It was hard to find because there is a ridge that was acting like a drip edge taking the oil right to the back of the motor. No where for it to puddle up and it was hard to spot. But after finding it, it was a 5 min repair.

My LED marker lights showed up so I figured I would get to mounting them. They are kind of cool. Just drill a 3/4" hole and the PVC grommet pops in with the light. Seem really solid

I also got 2 amber lights to replace the ones in the front of the bed but both of the ones there are working so they will stay for now...til after inspection. That pretty much wrapped up Saturday. Sunday, after church, we cleaned out the camper and started loading it up with supplies and what not from the last few campers we have had. I was having a little buyers remorse for buying such a massive trailer but I think Im over it now.

Hit it pretty good today. Started by finishing off the drivers side stake sides and fender flare.

Then got started on the passenger side. As with everything on this truck, the passenger side turned out better. Probably because I wasnt doing it in the dark. :ugh:

After that project I decided that no one was gonna come do the wiring for me. Even with offers of pizza and Mt Dew I was still stood up. So I got a good start on it. Started off by building my negative battery cables. I ended up getting 2/0 welding cable. It was half the price of the same size battery cable. :shaking: Got all the tail lights wired in and tested. Still need to do the reverse lights and the license plate lights. Just have to wrap it all and tie it up out the way. Getting really close for a inspection.

I hate wiring and Im no good at it so I wont bother posting pics of that. They work....for now

ChestonScout

These markers are pretty cool. They have optics by the 2 diodes that make them just as visible from the side as they are from straight on. Took a couple pics to try to illustrate it but of course you lose a bit in the photos

Straight on

From the side

They are pretty impressive to me.

Got home before dark so I messed with wiring some more. Everything is hooked up and working now. Just need a 7 pin connector for the trailer and loom it all and tie it up.

Hehehehehe

ChestonScout

I kept forgetting about the power steering reservoir. It was mounted on the fairings I removed off the back of the cab. I had just bungeed it underneath while I was working.

I didnt want it on the back if it was at all possible so....

Honestly there are several places it would have fit under there. I dont know why it went to the back.

The relocation wasnt to bad. I used one existing bolt and then drilled out the other 3. It was a little tricky getting under the dash to tighten the bolts but its done.

The right side of it ended up over this low spot on the firewall. So I just cut a old spacer to the right length and called it done.

The firewall is just aluminum and fairly thin. I was a little worried about it holding the weight (Im sure its fine) but just to make sure I dug up some fender washers for the inside.

The driveway got pretty dirty from all the work Ive been doing under the truck so it was time to move it and clean. So I decided to clean off the bed and take it for a spin around the neighborhood. Its gonna be fun!

I dont know if I have even taken a pic of it without the bed piled high with junk. So I snapped a few tonight

We swapped spots on the driveway because the wife is gettin grumpy about the hard water spots from the sprinklers on her black car.