THE VOLVO...Ugly semi truck crawler hauler build thread

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
at idle its actually pretty quiet. But when the 2 stroke Detroit hits the powerband....all smiles!!

It sounds pretty flippin mean.

Im gonna go get temp tags for it this week. I will see if I can get the wife to record the noise

ChestonScout

Not much really to update but I spent a ton of money today.

First a trip to the DMV. Utah sells a temp tag but the catch is you have to pay all your registration fees up front. Otherwise I would just go get a temp everytime I wanted to use it. I havent been able to load everything up and go weigh it yet so I took a guestimate and registered it for 36k. Im guessing the truck is going to be 20k, the Scout is 6900, so that leaves me 9k for the camper. Might be pushing it when its all loaded up.

Next I called Progressive and got the insurance paid for. I also registered the camper and got insurance on it at the same time. Feeling pretty violated today.

But now that its legal to drive for 2 weeks.....I decided to go for a drive. Put about 20 miles on her mostly just around town. It was pretty fun! I need a cupholder first priority. Speedometer and tach that works would be nice as well. The stacks are pretty noisy but thats to be expected. I dont think its anything I cant live with. Im extremely happy with the seats and the ride. And it was empty. I wish my Superduty rode as good. I imagine it will get better with the Scout on the back.

Took the help with me for the drive. He approves.

I backed it up to the camper to get an idea of what it will look like and also measure the total length. 62' :eek: Utahs length limit on non commercial is 65' Guess I shoulda got a 33' camper.

Hopefully get an inspection in the next couple days and see what they are gonna make me change

The weight fee is 69.50 for 14k + $19 for each 2k over 14k. I'd be shocked if your rig weighs 20k. Mine weighs under 15k after dropping the 2nd axle, but it is a little newer than yours. I think I register it for 26k. It is shocking the extent to which the heavy truck manufacturers have gone to save weight - aluminum cabs, frame cross members, etc etc.

Chevycrew

For reference mine, with dual axles, steel 16' flatbed, full tanks, etc. is around 21,500lbs.

I'm registered motorhome @ 34,000lbs. Tax was based on the original cost, when asked I said roughly 100k. They had no way to verify so my own honesty and guestimate cost me a total of $580 out the door. Insurance is $13 a month added to my policy.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Hopefully get an inspection in the next couple days and see what they are gonna make me change

I think the only thing they may get ya for is some sheilds for the stacks. So no-one gets burned. They made me do that for sidepipes but I already had em' . I told the guy to touch it (wasnt hot) . He did after I touched first, then passed me .
Thats good about the trailer frame being re called and beefed up. My dads was too far gone to put any money into it.
Lookin good, cant wait to see it all loaded up .

littlyota

Wiring isnt completely done yet!

Need to figure out the trailer brake and wire in the 7 blade plug.

All easy stuff. Let me know one evening and I can come and help you. Most of the wires are already at the back of the truck, but I would recommend adding a charge line to charge the camper batteries while towing. I did find that brake controller in my garage if you need one. Not the best, but should work.

littlyota

For reference mine, with dual axles, steel 16' flatbed, full tanks, etc. is around 21,500lbs.

I'm registered motorhome @ 34,000lbs. Tax was based on the original cost, when asked I said roughly 100k. They had no way to verify so my own honesty and guestimate cost me a total of $580 out the door. Insurance is $13 a month added to my policy.

Who is your insurance through?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Wiring isnt completely done yet!

Need to figure out the trailer brake and wire in the 7 blade plug.

I spent a couple hours doing a couple trailers and trucks last night.. I could do that shiz in my sleep.. and I'm almost out of dew..
Why must you live so far from me?

ChestonScout

Because SLC is expensive!! And crowded.

I was smart and left spliced out wires for the 7 pin for stop and running lights. Just need the 12v and the trailer brake.

The truck does have a trailer brake controller in it and after looking at it, it appears to be wired in under the dash. But it isnt lighting up. It may be junk. After i mess with it a little more i may have to take you up

ChestonScout

Progressive for insurance. For now anyway.

Also, i paid 382 to the dmv for the registration but that included the temp tag. A little spendy but could be worse