The 'What did I replace or fix on my motorcycle' thread

rholbrook

F5368DD3-1771-4C21-86D7-72E4974466FB.jpg

Caleb

3 bikes, filter change after every race, a couple of practice sessions..........holy crap, at around $20 for the twin airs I run, it would cost me over $500 a year in filters.

When you're riding as much as a serious racer rides, buying new would get spend. I didn't ever ride as much as a racer rides so I always had 2-3 new ones on hand and just replaced them instead of trying to clean them. I also used to use twin-air but after trying no-toil, I actually seemed to have less dirt in the air box (that's relative really, neither really let anything through) so I started using the no-toils. $12 for a new one is not worth my time to clean them.

Russ, your bike is looking good. I always enjoyed doing a full refresh like that. Even though it's the "same old" bike, it always felt better afterwards. :)

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
After spending 8 hours this past summer with Pete, owner of NOST Suspension, while he did the forks and shock on Jack's 85 and installed his N10Z (pronounced intense) compression valves, I decided to bite the bullet and have him redo my 300. Overall I was happy with the work I had done on it previously. The bike tracked well and was predictable, but I had to make some compromises. When I had it plush enough to not deflect off the rocks, I was always bottoming, and if I had it stiff enough to not bottom, I was deflecting off of rocks. On the MX track I was also bottoming hard. The N10Z valves offer a progressive bottoming resistance and works better in the rocks since you can free up the mid valve to flow more freely. The quicker and harder you move through the stroke, the more progressive the compression valve gets. The interesting thing about this set up is that I have been able to go to a lighter spring (stock) in the rear from what I had before. In the forks I was running a .46 in one leg and .49 in the other and now I am running .46 in both.

As hard as I try, I cannot bottom this thing to the point where it clanks, like I used to.

So the work done was the replacement of the compression valves with the N10Z valves, replacement of the mid valve with his XV2 piston, replacement of the rear piston with his XV6 piston and reworking of the rebound circuit.

Here are a few quick clips of it after I got it mostly dialed in today. I still have a little more tweaking to do to it......

[video=youtube_share;MHseIcB83dE]http://youtu.be/MHseIcB83dE[/video]
[video=youtube_share;2wSzn8E96FM]http://youtu.be/2wSzn8E96FM[/video]
[video=youtube_share;2NUccmK-qkk]http://youtu.be/2NUccmK-qkk[/video]

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
When I first got my 300 I asked Paul what the first thing I should upgrade would be. He said suspension. I thought the stock suspension was amazing as is. But when my rear shock had an issue I took the opportunity to do it all. It made a huge difference. My newest upgrade are my flexx bars and fastway stabilizer. The stabilizer helps in every situation but the bars are a huge help. It's like tuned suspension for my arms. I will never not have a pair of flexx bars on another bike.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
X3 :cool: Novice, pro or lazy--out of shape trail rider like myself tuned suspension is worth every penny.

I will never not have a pair of flexx bars on another bike.

Great feedback. I've had my eye on those for awhile. Kinda curious if they would help tame some of the crazy vibration my CR500 produces.

Last edited:

rholbrook

On Blias Racing's website they have a 300 crank, rod and piston kit that is BALANCED. Skylar Howes rides one of their bikes, Tyson, do you know if he has this setup in his 300? I know you have ridden Skylar's 300, did it feel more vibration free than your 300?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
On Blias Racing's website they have a 300 crank, rod and piston kit that is BALANCED. Skylar Howes rides one of their bikes, Tyson, do you know if he has this setup in his 300? I know you have ridden Skylar's 300, did it feel more vibration free than your 300?

Yes, Skyler does run a balanced crank and it takes an incredible amount of vibration out of the 300 motor.

How old is Jack? That kids a stud.

Jack is 11. He just moved off of the 65 onto the 85.....Thanks for the comments......he really has an incredible amount of balance on the bike and when his confidence gets up to where his ability is, he will be really flying.

Cascadia

Undecided
Like Paul said, yes Skyler has that setup and yes the bike was smooth. He also has the bigger carb with the jd jet kit which also helped with vibration. To be honest though I don't really notice bad vibration with my 300. Not sure if it's the bars or what. But I raced my 300 12 hours after buying it and had zero seat time on it and I wasn't anymore fatigued than my 250 4t. That was with stock bars.

rholbrook

The 300's don't have a ton of vibration, but the little they do is helped with the balanced crank.
I have little to no feeling in in the fingers on my left hand because of an accident. After a while of riding, my left hand feels like its asleep. It is worse on my 300 than it was on my 450. Was just thinking about doing the balanced setup next winter when I need a rebuild. I just got a Dampner, not that that will help with this but I steering is a lot lighter on the 300.

rholbrook

I bought a Rekluse and Ox Brake Left Hand Brake for Harrison's KTM 200 XCW. The Rekluse came in the mail so I put it in. First pull of the clutch handle and it was really stiff so I made the mistake of squeezing it harder and blew out the slave cylinder. Of course no one in Utah stocks it except RMATV so I got one from them. Went back over the instructions and I installed it correctly so I called Rekluse after I had installed and bled the clutch. Same thing, stiff clutch lever and then no pressure. I went over the instructions with Rekluse again and I knew it was correct. Finally on the third call to Rekluse the guy asked if I put the new washer on top of the throw out bearing. I told him I had and he asked if I could measure its thickness which I did and told him it was .030 which came with it and was in my instructions He said that on the 200 it needed a .120 washer. Luckily I was able to get one from Layton Cycle. We had to MIC a bunch of them to find one that was right. After installing that washer it worked perfectly. Apparently it was letting the plunger expand right out of the cylinder. Rekluse apologized for sending the wrong washer.

We we had a great ride Saturday to test the Rekluse and it worked flawlessly. The only thing left is some wider bars and that bike will be perfect