The 'What did I replace or fix on my motorcycle' thread

Tonkaman

Yeah, I remember reading that before (and why I've always used it before with my Rekluses), but now I can't find it on their site. They now say anything JASO-MA or JASO-MA2 is what they recommend. Pulling the clutch is only a few minutes, so I'll give that a shot but may switch to the Rosella T anyways.

I think they only rev oneness that to keep people away from using anything with a friction modifier like moly

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I just greased the linkage a month ago and it was in great shape. I don't know if the seal leaked all the oil out and it kept bottoming untill the spring broke and it bottomed hard enough to bend the shaft? I was in 4th and hit a G- out when it happened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I went back an re read the post and saw the mention of the broken spring. The spring failure probably caused it.

rholbrook

Yeah, I remember reading that before (and why I've always used it before with my Rekluses), but now I can't find it on their site. They now say anything JASO-MA or JASO-MA2 is what they recommend. Pulling the clutch is only a few minutes, so I'll give that a shot but may switch to the Rosella T anyways.
I run yamahas 2 stroke gear oil with zero issues. I have some in the garage right now if you need it.
Edit....forgot you now ride a 500 4 stroke. I also ran the the rotella in my thumper with a rekluse

Caleb

It scared me, I thought the back tire came off.
Took it apart this morning and here is the damage.
31fbd1fed8f55244d5a39b1b7db40923.jpg

Deviant offered me his stock spring. I plan on calling Jesse tomorrow. Might as well have the rear revalved and resprung for my fat ass if I'm this far in.

I've also got a stock spring (72-250) you are welcome to. I'll never use it :)

Caleb

Happened to my last bike after sitting for a little while when I had 2 bikes. I pulled the clutch cover off and separated all the layers and then reinstalled. Never had the problem again.

Well, so far so good. Tore it down and put it back together, no more problem. What's odd is when I had the cover off, I could pull the clutch, which lifts the pressure plate. When it would do that, I could separate all the discs that I could see. I'll play around on it more tomorrow and see if I can get it to act up again, if so then I'll change the oil. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I wondered what happened Chad. By the way that was me yelling for you to hurry up when I passed you in the pits and I was only joking! LOL. I was pretty surprised when you came cooking past me about 10 miles later. You were hauling the mail.

Cascadia

Undecided
Whoa! I wasn't expecting you to do anything without me. I don't want to be the guy that says hey fix my bike, I'll pick it up in a few weeks. I really appreciate it though. With everything I have going on with my daughter the bike would never get done.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Whoa! I wasn't expecting you to do anything without me. I don't want to be the guy that says hey fix my bike, I'll pick it up in a few weeks. I really appreciate it though. With everything I have going on with my daughter the bike would never get done.
No worries, you have a lot on your plate right now.

Was the filter that was in the bike, the filter you raced in St. George with?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I think your dirt came in through the air box. The black area of the boot that the filter seals against was completely packed with sand where the filter should have been sealing against it. I should have grabbed a picture before I washed out your air box, but will show you where sometime. It is not an uncommon problem with these filters since it may look like the filter cage is seated properly, but there may actually be a gap that you cannot see. It is always a good idea to run your fingers around the entire edge of the filter to see if it is fully seated.

Cascadia

Undecided
I coulda sworn I felt around the back side cause the cage didn't sit right the first time but I could be wrong. I coulda sworn it was from where I cased and tweaked my carb a few inches allowing a gap in the boot. But again, I could definitely be wrong.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I wondered what happened Chad. By the way that was me yelling for you to hurry up when I passed you in the pits and I was only joking! LOL. I was pretty surprised when you came cooking past me about 10 miles later. You were hauling the mail.
I knew it was you. I was really feeling good second loop. Sucks it ended the way it did.

I dropped my shock off to Jesse yesterday. He's revalving it and springing it for a fat bastard so I should be golden for Cherry Creek.

rholbrook

I think your dirt came in through the air box. The black area of the boot that the filter seals against was completely packed with sand where the filter should have been sealing against it. I should have grabbed a picture before I washed out your air box, but will show you where sometime. It is not an uncommon problem with these filters since it may look like the filter cage is seated properly, but there may actually be a gap that you cannot see. It is always a good idea to run your fingers around the entire edge of the filter to see if it is fully seated.
AND....good idea to put a layer of actual grease around where that seal should be too. Harrison's 200 has a hard time getting that cage in just right so it all seats. I use water proof grease, the same as I use on my boat bearings.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am a little bit puzzled. Looking at the sealing surface on your filter, it looks like it was sealed since it is clean, but the sealing surface of the air box was caked with red sand. The reason I asked if this was the filter you raced with, is because the dirt on the filter is darker brown/black and not red and what is in the motor is definitely red sand. I think you sucked all this dirt on a previous ride in St. George.