Thoughts on 2002-2004 WJ... Will most likely (and hopefully shortly) be my new rig

Troop92

Hey guys. After all that has transpired with Trooper/Jiffy Lube, I've thought long and hard about my goals going forward. I've decided to get Trooper fixed up, running right, and sell him. Been a great rig, zero issues apart from this latest hiccup, but at nearly 23yrs and 225k miles, a change is in order.

I've settled on a 2002-2004 WJ Grand Cherokee. I love the V8, solid axle angle. Yes, no body lift due to unibody, but I'm okay with that. I'm not looking for a buggy, don't need 40s under it. Just a comfortable rig for family wheeling, scout camp and camp outs, and the occasional wilder guy trip to Moab. It will eventually sit atop 32 or 33s. That's about it.

So, that said, those of you that have or have had them -- what are the issues to be aware of when looking for one? Hoping to keep it under 150k-ish miles.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Having owned one. I'd say get a Disco. V8, full frame, center locking diff in the transfer case, better control arms, easier to lift. same gas mileage.

But that's my opinion. Come by and take mine for a drive. I know you'll like it.

Jesser04

There is a pretty clean one in layton off of sugar street by the smiths warehouse for sale. I don't know the price if your interested I can stop and check for you.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The 4.7 V8 in the WJs isn't known for being very reliable. Actually I'd say they are more problematic than anything. If you're stuck on a WJ, buy one with a 4.0 straight 6 - Way more reliable. A quick google search will net lots of results about 4.7 head and cooling problems.

Troop92

Having owned one. I'd say get a Disco. V8, full frame, center locking diff in the transfer case, better control arms, easier to lift. same gas mileage. But that's my opinion. Come by and take mine for a drive. I know you'll like it.

How much are replacement parts for said Disco when I break something? There are WJs in the yards all the time...

There is a pretty clean one in layton off of sugar street by the smiths warehouse for sale. I don't know the price if your interested I can stop and check for you.

I'm in Layton, actually. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
The 4.7 V8 in the WJs isn't known for being very reliable. Actually I'd say they are more problematic than anything. If you're stuck on a WJ, buy one with a 4.0 straight 6 - Way more reliable. A quick google search will net lots of results about 4.7 head and cooling problems.

I couldn't agree more, that 4.7 is likely the least reliable engine Jeep has ever used.

Troop92

Apart from a few mentions about radiators having issues, needing correct coolant, I haven't read much about widespread issues. At least on the HO 4.7 anyway.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We just sold our WJ. we averaged about 12mpg (v8). Once we put a lift and tires on it was endless death wobble. I spent thousands trying to fix it. We absolutely LOVED the wj, but an unsafe vehicle is an issue for a wife's dd.
we used it in many trails and trips and were fairly impressed. I would go to the 05 model if I were to go grand Cherokee again. I am a believer in independent front suspension now.

we also went the rounds with coolant/over heating issues.

Troop92

You need to find yourself a Montero.

Nope, solid axles a must. Having had IFS, I'm not jumping to full.

@jeeper, I saw your posting and almost jumped, but wifey wasn't completely on board with the car shakeup idea yet (getting a newer commuter too). Replacement isn't a dd, though it will be used for getting to/from trails, camp outs, and as a tow rig.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
A buddy owns a Grand with the V8. He bought it to wheel, and has only had it out once because it overheats and he hasn't found the cause yet.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Just get the 4.0 as stated above. It won't be a race car but at least they last. Plus it should be even cheaper too

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
We don't buy anything with a 4.7 anymore, every durango and grand we bought ended with head or knocking. We buy the 4.0's now, but have to pay more because everybody knows the 4.7 sucks. Now all we do is suspension work and bearing noise in all the rear axles

corbin.black

I had an 04 HO V8 and had no issues but know many people who had the same issues mentioned above so I was always worried about it. I built it to wheel it and it did great but in the end I sold it to wheel something with a frame. My wife has an 04 WJ 4.0 and we absolutely love it. Great vehicles but i would recommend the 4.0 over the 4.7

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Every vehicle has flaws. Why are you so set on the v8? WJ's are cool rigs and it will be a ton more capable than your Trooper.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Nope, solid axles a must. Having had IFS, I'm not jumping to full.

@jeeper, I saw your posting and almost jumped, but wifey wasn't completely on board with the car shakeup idea yet (getting a newer commuter too). Replacement isn't a dd, though it will be used for getting to/from trails, camp outs, and as a tow rig.

Only the 01-06 Montero was full independent, my 98 has solid rear axle with factory air locker and front IFS, stock axles will handle 37's. If you are hell bent on a solid axle trail rig I'm about to sell my built 97 ZJ on 35's.

Troop92

I tow for scouts and for my own camping, just the added torque/hp a v8 brings would be nice. And since the 4.0 and the v8s aren't that dissimilar in mpg, that was my thinking.

Trooper has mad flex in the rear and more than enough traction with the ls, but the front ifs was always the weak spot. Having true articulation and downward travel up front would be awesome.