Thoughts on 2002-2004 WJ... Will most likely (and hopefully shortly) be my new rig

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
death wobble is not that hard to fix if it happens and it is not specific to grand cherokees. It is a mild issue on every coil sprung jeep (also dodges). I have had two TJ's both got death wobble at some point and both were easily fixed. The 4.7 has been problematic for a few people I know.

The hemi is a million times better than the 4.7 if you move up in price. It will get you IFS though. I would go back to 98 and get a 5.9 limited.

rustyjeep21

What are you towing? i know my 4.0 has had taken major abuse towing our 3500 lb + tool trailer. A decent 5.2 ZJ might be a good fit. On any unibody jeep just add frame stiffeners early and you will be fine and IMO no body lift is a good thing. I was able to get the wobble out of my cherokee very easily, and don't know of anyone that has had a permanent death wobble problem.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
death wobble is not that hard to fix if it happens and it is not specific to grand cherokees. It is a mild issue on every coil sprung jeep (also dodges). I have had two TJ's both got death wobble at some point and both were easily fixed. The 4.7 has been problematic for a few people I know.

The hemi is a million times better than the 4.7 if you move up in price. It will get you IFS though. I would go back to 98 and get a 5.9 limited.

Actually, the 5.9 ZJ had quite a few issues as well, the 5.2 is a better running engine than the 5.9 but the 4.0 is still the best of the bunch albeit underpowered.

Toad

The 4.7 is garbage. Head gaskets, valve seats, timing chain, the list goes on and on. I had a 2004 with the 4.0 never had any problems with it. It only had 70k on it when we sold it. It was pretty gutless. It pushed itself around just fine but nothing great. I think the best Grand would be a 99-04 with a 5.3, 4l60, combo :)

mierdota

I drive a stock beater 98 zj with the 5.2 I really like that motor, I'm getting close to 200k and I beat the Hell out of it and don't maintain it very well and it runs like a champ. I've always wanted to find a newer one with the hemi and do an sas. Or I like the wj with a 5.3/4l60e combo idea I actually almost bought a 2000 wj limited and did just that because it had a blown 4.7 you can find a wj all day long with a bad motor for $600-1000. You could probably be into a wj and do the swap for 5-8k doing the work yourself of coarse.

Troop92

Yeah... I don't have the skills to do the swap for engine/axle. The hope was to get into something for a little cash, and do a slow build on a solid foundation.

Though, I might have unrealistic expectations. I picked up Trooper for $800, and over the course of the 4 years I've had it, including rig, build, and maintenance, I'm in $4200 total.

skeptic

I had a 5.2 ZJ and loved it.... Except the TC and tranny are crap. Just swap in a different transfer case and be ready to rebuild the tranny every 60k to 100k miles (or swap it out for something stronger). I'd rather have a ZJ with swapped TC/tranny than a WJ.

Cascadia

Undecided
I've had 4 wj's and never had a problem on any except for the blend doors on the 99. But I sell all my vehicles before they hit 100k so maybe that's where I lucked out.

cackalak

Friend of mine has had his 04 Overland 4.7HO for about 10 years. Put close to 300k on it and still running strong. He's had issues with electrical doo-dads, window regulators, but nothing major. I had a 98 5.9 and didn't have any issues, but only had 130k when I sold it.

A LC would also be in the running if I were looking for something within your criteria.

Troop92

Friend of mine has had his 04 Overland 4.7HO for about 10 years. Put close to 300k on it and still running strong. He's had issues with electrical doo-dads, window regulators, but nothing major. I had a 98 5.9 and didn't have any issues, but only had 130k when I sold it.

See, this has been more what I was thinking going into looking for one, as friends/family have had good experiences, other than regulators and small stuff. I know that horror stories abound, and each is different....

LC would also be in the running if I were looking for something within your criteria.

I love LCs, but they're WAAAAY out of my price range.

Troop92

What's your price range?

The wife has granted me "no questions" buying power for $3k and under. More than that will take convincing. And by convincing I mean pleading/begging. Ideally, I sell Trooper then get WJ, but WJ first is fine too. No loan involved...

Mods will follow, obviously, but that's an "over time" thing and not watched/regulated as closely. :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ive never owned a 4.7, but I don't know that the grand cherokee circles really complain that they are problematic compared to the other motors offered over the years. I've owned 4 ZJ's, and the only motor I would never buy again would be the 4.0. The 5.2's ran through hell and back. The 4.0 couldn't even run to green river and back (and if it did, with 35's, 4.56's and loaded, it would only do it at 55/60 mph and like 10 mpg).

The 96-98 5.2 ZJ's are pretty solid rigs....but I also wouldn't hesitate to jump on a 02-04 4.7 WJ.

Also, for whoever said the 4.7 is the worst motor Jeep ever put in something obviously never owned a 2.8 v6.

Troop92

They (Vari-Lok gerotor limited slips) were available on models with the Dana44HD axle, rear only as a standalone option, or front/rear standard on Overland models.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
They (Vari-Lok gerotor limited slips) were available on models with the Dana44HD axle, rear only as a standalone option, or front/rear standard on Overland models.

They actually made WJ's with an open 44 as well as a vari-lok version with a different carrier. If you end up with the v8 model look for one with the part time transfer case, better mpg and easier to install lockers.