Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

o313

On the KX100 the bike lacks torque so if you weigh more then 120 lbs you will need a flywheel to even get out of your driveway. The KX100 foot peg to seat height is perfect if you are under 5'1".
The CRF150R has a much better cockpit, size wise, and has enough grunt to move a full grown man. the 150R can be had used for pretty cheap and trail tech makes a nice DC electrical conversion for it to run lights etc...

sixstringsteve

That's good feedback o313. I found the 150R to be too small feeling for me. I felt like I was wheelie-ing out all the time on it.

sixstringsteve

I'm loving the idea of a pitster pro right now.

I've always thought this would be a wicked bike. Too bad they're $5k+ used.
beta rev 4.jpg

sixstringsteve

Plus they have a lighting coil for the 2nd annual AFC night-ride (I didn't make the first one and I've regretted it ever since!):D \\

Honestly, the memory of that night ride is what makes me want to get a bike again. I can't miss any of those, they're way too fun.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I had a xr200 chinese clone. It has a super low seat height and got 97mpg (no joke) not a ton of power but the motor is bulletproof.
Could have used some better forks but you could ride one and see what you think

pELYgroso

'Merica
Steve, let's go riding out at 5 mile and you can ride my wife's xr200. I've taken it up AF canyon and done some pretty nasty trails with it and I'm 5'9, and I had a BLAST on it! The ONLY complaining that I had is that it was a hair too low for me, so my legs started to ache a little from being over-bent for so long sitting down, but you won't have that problem being a little shorter. It was probably one of the funnest days I've had up AF canyon. That thing went EVERYWHERE! It's not a speed demon, but I can still have a great time on it! And, you can ride them off a cliff and they'll just keep going! Parts are readily available, and they're around $1k used.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My girlfriend had a KX100, I would recommend staying away from it if your plans are mostly off road. I'm 6'3" 220 and it would pull me around decent, be even for her (she's about your height) it struggled on some hill inclines (partly because she would rev it out enough). But the other problem is the fork angle is set more for street use, I also could not find a dual sport tire for it that was even slightly more aggressive than the 80% street 20% dirt tires that come on it. She currently has a TTR-125 and it has been a really good step up for her, however i'm having the same problem with tires, I can't find a good dual purpose tire (that is DOT approved) for the odd sized rims.

I'm trying to get her to step up to the TTR-230 it runs the same size tires as the 250 and 450 so finding good dual sport tires is much easier. Also the 21in tire will roll over ledges and such much easier than the smaller 19in. She has the same issue with seat height. The TTR-125 is a little small and the 250 is to tall she can't touch the ground. The 230 is the happy medium the seat height is slighty taller than the 125 but it has a lot more travel and the bigger wheels, really the only downfall of the 230 is the weight, it's kind of heavy for a smaller bike.

sixstringsteve

My girlfriend had a KX100, I would recommend staying away from it if your plans are mostly off road. I'm 6'3" 220 and it would pull me around decent, be even for her (she's about your height) it struggled on some hill inclines (partly because she would rev it out enough). But the other problem is the fork angle is set more for street use, I also could not find a dual sport tire for it that was even slightly more aggressive than the 80% street 20% dirt tires that come on it. She currently has a TTR-125 and it has been a really good step up for her, however i'm having the same problem with tires, I can't find a good dual purpose tire (that is DOT approved) for the odd sized rims.

I'm trying to get her to step up to the TTR-230 it runs the same size tires as the 250 and 450 so finding good dual sport tires is much easier. Also the 21in tire will roll over ledges and such much easier than the smaller 19in. She has the same issue with seat height. The TTR-125 is a little small and the 250 is to tall she can't touch the ground. The 230 is the happy medium the seat height is slighty taller than the 125 but it has a lot more travel and the bigger wheels, really the only downfall of the 230 is the weight, it's kind of heavy for a smaller bike.

The KX100 was set up for street?

I agree on the ttr-230. perfect size, power is fine, just a bit heavy. Not a huge deal.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The KX100 was set up for street?

I agree on the ttr-230. perfect size, power is fine, just a bit heavy. Not a huge deal.

The one we had was, maybe there are different variations of it, had factory speedo signals and mirrors.

Not to hijack but if anyone is in the market for a 07 WR450 i'm considering down sizing to a 250, don't do the crazy stuff I used to and could use the extra range the smaller motor offers.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Steve, if you keep your eyes ksl, you can also find the '90's WR250's for under $1k. My buddy asked me to look for a bike for him a few months ago so I jumped on ksl and found a nice '94 that had just been listed with a bunch of extras! He talked the guy down to $600! I was jealous, even though I already have one. I imagine that you could shave the seat a bit and lower it an inch and still have plenty of travel for AF canyon....and of course plenty of power! And since it's built the way that it is. the low end torque is very usable, unlike many modern 2 strokes!

sixstringsteve

wow. For that price, I could make a WR250 work for sure. I've been checking ksl, but not every single day. I need to see how much $ is left over after my build, but if the right deal was available I'd snatch something up quick now.

o313

Most likely was a KLX and not a KX100.

6 string, did you ride the 150 with the suspension dialed in or soft for a 100 lbs person?

sixstringsteve

it was Corban's. He had it set up for his wife. The suspension felt great, the wheelbase just felt too short. It was super easy to throw around, but it was cramped (pegs super close to the seat) which made me feel like I was way too big for the bike. I would still enjoy a ride up AF canyon, but it's too small for me to plunk down some cash for one. I will say that the 150 had plenty of power for me.

sixstringsteve

After a little research, it look like the pitster pro is nearly identical in size to the KX100. But the KX is 60 lbs lighter. I like that :D I'm going to have to get out there and throw my leg over both and see if they feel small in person.

rholbrook

CRFX 250 is already sold. My FIL has an older WR250 oil burner that he has mentioned a few times. They are tall, probably too tall based on all your comments.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Steve, my dad is 5' 7" and rides a TTR 230 all over Hobblecreek single track. I think he put 2K miles on it last summer. I convinced him to run trials tires and he loves them. They are DOT approved. He says the worst MPG he has gotten is in the upper 70's and usually gets 80-90MPG with a 2 gallon tank you can ride all day. His is street legal and has been geared down so in first you can pull the front brake until you can feel the engine fire and it won't stall. It is really the best singletrack bike I have ever ridden. The older models were 225 and they can be had for $1500 on KSL quite frequently. I think he paid $1700 for his 07.

sixstringsteve

I've ridden those ttr230s, and they seem just about perfect sizewise/powewise for me. A bit heavy, but you can't have it all. I think I could be very happy with one of those.