Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

sixstringsteve

although this has nothing to do with a bike for a short rider, I think this is the exact type of bike I'd love:

[youtube]n2eUucG4gwU[/youtube]

It even comes with a trials rear tire and a seat height that I can handle. Too bad I won't be able to afford it for 5 years. Killer bike though.

I think the electric ones are cool too.
[youtube]t5SqoyR8Ht0[/youtube]

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

They're supposed to be more "budget-friendly". That means I'll only have to spend $8k to get one. :D I'm excited, this is the exact bike I've been waiting for. Low seat height, low weight, tirals tire in the rear, not meant for racing, looks to be a great bike.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

a buddy at work offered me his '93 xr200 for $450. The top end was just redone, but the rest of the bike isn't in great shape. Trying to decide if I should jump on it or hold out for something else...

I'll be really excited in the next year or two when a used freeride 350 is in my price range. I can't justify spending $9k on a new bike.

STAG

On my grind
I'd hold out... I've pretty much made up my mind on a CRF230F for trailrides and Moab, and keep my YZ450F for the dunes only. My dilemma is whether or not to get a 230F new or used.. 4k isnt bad for a brand new bike.

sixstringsteve

it'll be less zippy than your old KTM, but it'll chug up just about any trail. Electric start and low seat height are some great features for the vertically challenged like choc and I.

STAG

On my grind
ha yes, Tyson, you and steve both know how tall I am, and for me I prefer the 230F for two reasons, A) the seat height, I can touch the ground like I should, and that makes it rideable. and B) the gearing and powerband are perfect to me for moab and the trail rides I do.

I think you'd be happier with a 250X because it is taller for you and is gonna have more oomph.

JR has both a 250X and a 230F, I'm sure he'd let you ride them both.

But in my opinion and my situation, a bike that I can fully control, both the bikes ergonomics and the powerband, is faster on a trail than a bike with more power that ya can't whip around. Which is why I'll never take my 450 to moab again, it's like tryin to ride a bulletbike down there :greg:

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm really leaning towards a TTR230 or a CRF230F. Even though they're heavy little pigs, they'll get me where I need to go safely, with zero maintenance. My mom has 2 TTR-125s, and my brothers have put close to 2000 hours on them without even an oil change or air filter cleaning. And they're still running strong.

But in my opinion and my situation, a bike that I can fully control, both the bikes ergonomics and the powerband, is faster on a trail than a bike with more power that ya can't whip around. Which is why I'll never take my 450 to moab again, it's like tryin to ride a bulletbike down there :greg:

I 100% agree.

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
hmmm I love the idea of a magic button. might look into those

Dey iz fancy, ya never fog up your goggles pushin a button. In the best of both worlds I would have a bike with an electric starter button and a kick starter, for those dead battery situtations, there's not always places to easily push start a dead bike in moab.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My vote is the TTR but I bleed blue (Ford and Yamaha). My dad picked one up a couple years ago. The thing had a lifter tick like you put playing cards on the swingarm. When we changed the oil the first time there were some metal shavings all over the filter. That was thousands of miles ago with a good majority of them singletrack. It still runs great (sans ticking noise) and gets 80-90MPG. I am hoping to pick one up this summer. I highly recommend DOT approved Trials tires. That bike with trials tires handles really well, doesn't tear up the trail, sticks like glue and they last forever. If you are going to ride it in Moab they would be even better.

STAG

On my grind
The suspension is good on the 230f, just not as good as motocross style bikes, the 230f is designed as a trail bike, and comfortable. You can jump the 230f, it's strong enough, but it's a little heavier and a little less powerful as the "standard" 250, so it's not going to get big air easy; still, fun to do.

pELYgroso

'Merica
FWIW, I'd choose an XR200 over the 230. I rode a 230 when we were looking for a bike for my wife, and the weight difference made the 200 feel a lot more zippy. My sister got a 230 after My wife got her 200, and I rode them both, one right after the other, and again, the 200 was a funner bike to ride. Pretty much the exact same suspension and seat height but the added weight of the 230 made it feel like a heavy pig to flick around. ALSO, my wife is 120 lbs of skinny, and she has NO problem kicking over the 200 and it has NEVER not started after 2 or 3 kicks. My sister's battery died once when we went camping and we were SOL with no jumper cables so she had to park it. On a 250 or 450 the magic button is worth it. On the 230 vs 200, the magic button is not worth it because the 200 will start with the weight of your leg pressing the kick starter, EVERY time. Choose wisely!

Steve, if you friend still has that 200 and you don't want it, PM me his #! :)

ps, you talked about maintence.....we haven't changed the oil in the 200 in 3 years and I'm not too worried about it. Air filter is a must of course, but those bikes just GO!

sixstringsteve

If everything goes as planned, I'll have that XR200 tomorrow night. It's a project, but I should be able to get it running in about 10 min.

MattL

Exciting. I rode with a group last year that had one. It was a little goat that climbed everything in its path. Not certain to the speed but did well.

Ive been thinking of getting a xr200 for the wife to tootle around on.
id like to hear of the new adventures with it.

rholbrook

Steve, we need to get a group and go ride some trails in the Swell area. I had a blast last Thursday, we ran, Coal Wash, Devils Race Track, Blue Trail, Orange Trail and the Red Trail, about 80 miles worth. We should have run the Red Trail first because we were tired when we ran it at the end of the day.