Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

sixstringsteve

sounds good russ, I'd love to ride in the swell. I'm not good at going over 40 MPH, so you probably don't want to invite me. 5moh sounds more fun than desert to me. But I want a trials bike for 5moh.

sixstringsteve

A little update. I picked up a used XR200. It's just had the top end and valves done. I can't decide if I want to upgrade the forks and shocks on it or not. The XR seems to be the perfect height.

I tried a kx100 today, and it was WAY too small. Seat height was perfect, but the geometry was not. It had PLENTY of power, but it just handled weird. So I know I don't want one of those.

sixstringsteve

cool, thanks. Does anyone here have any access to a trials bike I could borrow for a jaunt up AF Canyon? I think trials would be a blast to get in to, as I prefer the technical trails over speed.

sixstringsteve

I'm thinking something like this would be ideal:

zehijang.jpg

I dig that it's air-cooled, and I like how much he cut the seat down. It looks like a light flickable bike. I'm thinking I need to try out a pitster pro 230 LC this weekend.

MattL

I'm thinking something like this would be ideal:

View attachment 71495

I dig that it's air-cooled, and I like how much he cut the seat down. It looks like a light flickable bike. I'm thinking I need to try out a pitster pro 230 LC this weekend.

That is a pretty wicked looking bike.
Muffler on that thing is... um... unique?
Where are the details on this thing?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I got another bike today, and '89 YZ250WR (or WR250 2T). Ever since I rode Tyler's I've been on the lookout for the right one. This deal came along at the right price and I couldn't pass it up. It is by no means suitable for a short rider like me, but when I remove the seat, I can tip-toe on both sides. That means I can shave the seat down and get close enough to make it work for me. It feels a little bit shorter than my old CR/kdx hybrid, but I could be wrong about that since I haven't been on it in 6 months.

IMAG0199.jpg

It's not as clean as it looks, the tank and frame have recently been painted.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Nice bike Steve, sounds close to ideal for your needs.

As far as lowering, could you drop the forks down in the triple clamp 1-2" to drop the front?

There has to be a way to drop the rear too and keep all the suspension travel. Does the bottom of the shock have dog bones? I wonder if you could find 'lowering' dog bones to drop the back?

sixstringsteve

yeah, I'm pretty sure I could lower the forks. I had a lowering link on my old KDX200 and it made the suspension really weird. WHen I removed the lowering link, it was tons better.

So I'd rather modify the seat or subframe than the suspension. It's got more than enough power for me. It runs, but it doesn't idle well. I think the jetting is too rich. I need to take it to Russ's house and pick his brain to get the jetting perfect. It's got more power than I need though, that's for sure. Apart from the seat height, the only other potential modifications I forsee are radiator guards, possibly lower gearing, a kickstand, and possibly an 18" wheel with a trials tire someday.

Looking forward to more AF Canyon night rides, weekly thursday rides, and monthly RME rides.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Awesome! LOL I was actually thinking of you when I saw that one pop up Steve :D

The 89 was the first year of the WR and it was actually labeled as a YZ250WR whereas the later years were just labeled WR250Z. The 89's are getting rare these days and I don't think they made to many to begin with. A 38mm Keihin PWK carb with a JD needle kit would be the only upgrade I can think of--the WR's are very potent right out of the box. Put me first on the list if you decide to part ways in the future ;)

ricsrx

Steve I have had your old bike out twice now on a few long runs and it is a fantanstic bike, I think i will keep it for my self since it is still to tall for Hunter!!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Nice find Steve, I pulled mine out of the trailer yesterday to see if she would fire up. Damn battery is dead and i've had it on a trickle charger all winter WTH!!. Fired up after about 6 kicks though, need to change the oil and grease everything and she'll be ready to go.