Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

STAG

On my grind
Yeah it is. I don't mind a nice reliable simple air-cooled motor. I will be doing a short write-up about my thoughts, likes and dislikes about the PP250.

sixstringsteve

those paperas are really cool on paper. I wonder what they're like to ride. My current hybrid has a very reasonable seat height. It doesn't bother me.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I thought this pertained to this thread... lots of talk about smaller, lighter bikes. This seems to perfectly blend the world of Trails bikes & Dirt bikes... the OSSA Explorer. I'm sure it's incredibly capable on a tight, technical trail... would imagine it's not too fun in the wide open desert. Fuel injected 2 stroke with a 6 speed transmission. Probably not cheap, but very cool... matter of fact, after some looking they seem to run around $8k, new.

Seat height- 32"

Weight- 163 Pounds!!

http://www.ossamotor.es/EN/models.php?idMoto=339

Ossa_explorer_002_copia.jpg

Cascadia

Undecided
Went and looked at a few bike for my wife today. The 125, 150, 200, and 250 are all too tall for here. They are about the same size. They had a used 105 sx at the edge that fit perfect. She could tip toe on both feet or lean to one side and flat foot. The bike only weighs in at about 150 lbs. She is 5'4" and about 105 lbs. She liked the feel of the bike under her and the riding position was comfortable she said. Only problem is it's an sx bike and I don't want to deal with adding a fww, an uncomfortable higher revving motor, and all the other stuff that comes with turning a mx bike into a trail bike. I asked the salesman if they made a smaller trail bike and he said no.

I got home and was doing research on the sx bike and came across someones post on thumper about their 105 xc. Doesn't anyone have experience with this bike for their wife or kids bike? Seems pretty cool to have a 6 speed transmission, kickstand, and I'm sure there are a lot of other bonuses. Just wonder if there are any known issues or things to look for?

sixstringsteve

The ossa explorer would be such a fun bike. It does, however, ride more like a trials bike than a trail bike.

The scorpa x-ride is still on the top of my list. My next bike will be trials-based.

[video=youtube;Gyl7KyaBG6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyl7KyaBG6c[/video]

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Went and looked at a few bike for my wife today. The 125, 150, 200, and 250 are all too tall for here. They are about the same size. They had a used 105 sx at the edge that fit perfect. She could tip toe on both feet or lean to one side and flat foot. The bike only weighs in at about 150 lbs. She is 5'4" and about 105 lbs. She liked the feel of the bike under her and the riding position was comfortable she said. Only problem is it's an sx bike and I don't want to deal with adding a fww, an uncomfortable higher revving motor, and all the other stuff that comes with turning a mx bike into a trail bike. I asked the salesman if they made a smaller trail bike and he said no.

I got home and was doing research on the sx bike and came across someones post on thumper about their 105 xc. Doesn't anyone have experience with this bike for their wife or kids bike? Seems pretty cool to have a 6 speed transmission, kickstand, and I'm sure there are a lot of other bonuses. Just wonder if there are any known issues or things to look for?

No idea about the 105 XC and I think you're right staying away from a small 2 stroke.... they will NOT be wife-friendly, IMO.

Have you considered a Pitster Pro for her? - http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?97554-Pitster-Pro-250-XTR-Review-and-Impressions

Greg

Admin
The ossa explorer would be such a fun bike. It does, however, ride more like a trials bike than a trail bike.

The scorpa x-ride is still on the top of my list. My next bike will be trials-based.

[video=youtube;Gyl7KyaBG6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyl7KyaBG6c[/video]

Looks like fun Steve! I could see the draw.

Cascadia

Undecided
Only a little thought. I like the main brands for parts availability and upgrades. I like orange a lot too. I'd love to have matching bikes in the back of my truck.

Greg

Admin
Only a little thought. I like the main brands for parts availability and upgrades. I like orange a lot too. I'd love to have matching bikes in the back of my truck.

Totally understand, I just don't know that KTM makes a decent beginner bike for a wife...

Cascadia

Undecided
I'm doing my research. So far almost all the comments I have read have almost all been from husbands whose wife has the bike or from the wife. All comments seem to be good and in favor of the bike.

sixstringsteve

A free ride 350 would be a great wife bike. And its orange.

I agree that a 2t night be a bit much as a first bike (and I like 2ts.)