Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

sixstringsteve

that's exactly the type of bike I'd love. It's like a 2-stroke KTM freeride, but even cooler. Beta makes fantastic trials bikes. I can only assume their enduro bikes are equally as awesome.

rholbrook

One of our riding buddies just got this BETA CROSSTRAINER in. It took forever to finally get here. It was supposed to be here at the end of last year, then they said March and it finally showed up yesterday. He couldn't wait to get it set up and got it done yesterday. I am going over to look at it and will try to remember to grab some pictures. Specs show a 35.8" seat height. Thats atleast 4" lower than my 300XC which is higher now because of the new Mountain MotoX tire I put on it.

I think this may be a better option to the KTM FreeRide but we shall see. There are two FreeRides in the group right now with a third on the way. One of the guys wanted a second one. Neither one of them would go back to a more traditional dirtbike but both have had the suspensions done and Rekluses. I hope to toss a leg over the Beta shortly but based on the shape of the pipe, I am thinking it has more of a traditional 2 stroke powerband where the FreeRide has a really odd shaped pipe like the old Yamaha DT 2 strokes. It develops power completely different. It is seriously so different. Its almost like it is a 3 stroke with how the power comes on. The only knock on it power wise is the lack of high RMP tire spin to get up those long steep loose hill climbs. Normal single track, the thing is incredible. Its so easy to ride and its so light and nimble.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I would love a freeride 250r, it looks like such a blast.

That could be the bike to get me back into riding. I wish I could rent one for a few days a year. That might be the perfect 5moh bike.

Last edited:

rholbrook

The FreeRide is a great bike for somebody that wants a bike that is strictly a trail bike that is ridden at slower speeds.
The FreeRide is a riot to ride. Top speed is about 65 mph. We clocked on one of our rides. 0-top speed is fast too. Would I race it in a desert race, probably not but that doesnt mean it wouldn't be my bike of choice up AF, Moab, San Rafael, etc. The bike just flat works and is so much fun to ride. For a big guy like me, suspension has to be done on it.

rholbrook

Here you go

B745F509-075E-46DF-818C-229DD2C58685.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Love the oil injection

2AF907A3-6F47-4569-9D4D-C111DA2AB7F0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Built in grab handles located at the back of the seat on both sides
7F1D8B9B-C787-4E61-950B-143588128C39.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The exhaust pipe on this is small but still more traditional shapped then the FreeRide
7B82E875-B07A-4B45-BCE1-9D83632D5B17.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Comes with a fan as well as on the controls it has high and low beam, electric start, blinker and horn buttons. The off switch is really cool. Its a button on the back side of the head light switch so you have to use your finger to shut it off.
D31924FB-27D7-49E8-B42B-F464911AB894.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I am excited to toss a leg over this one and its a grand cheaper than the FreeRide. The suspension components look like they belong on a motorcycle. The spokes are huge. The rear tire is a little different than the FreeRide as well.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I watched a couple demos on those on YouTube. Sounds like a fun play bike. There was a guy with one in the pits at one of the Cherry Creek races.

They look about as small as a 125 but different ergos

rholbrook

It's time to move Harrison off his CRF150RB and on to a bigger bike. I am thinking a KTM200XCW or a KTM250XC or XCW. Either bike will get a Rekluse and I will have the suspension shortened until he gets a little taller. What year did the 200 get an electric starter on the 200 and on the 250?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I don't know exactly what year, but it would probably be around the same time the 300 did in 09. Between those 2 bikes I would pick up a 200 before a 250. The 200 will tractor along better than a 250 and overall is probably better suited for the type of riding you do.

rholbrook

I put Harrison's CRF150RB with Rekluse and bigger fuel tank on KSL Saturday evening and it sold quickly. Now I need to find a replacement. I am thinking either a KTM 200 or 250 smoker. Anyone know someone with a 200 for sell????? Grant????

GAR

Come up and ride with me in AFC sometime this week and atleast check it out. I rode 20 miles today and it was the first time I've had it in mt. single track. I really liked it, easy to manage, tractors up steep stuff in 2nd gear. There were a few times that I thought I would have definitely dropped my old 525. It's nice and light between the legs.