Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

Cascadia

Undecided
What exactly does a lowering link do other than lowering it? How does it work? Is there a good way to cut down a fork or is that crazy? I have read a few pages saying you can have the fork cut down and it maintains a good angle. Obviously it'd need to be done professionally is this is possible.

Caleb

I don't think any of the Freerides have made it in to the US yet. I know they've been working on the importing precess, but I think Ken Block is the only one to have one in the US right now. Didn't the 350 freeride still weigh a fair amount? I remember when it actually came down to it, it wasn't a hybrid trails bike like it was played up to be??? I may be mistaken on that though :D It was a very mild trail bike though, great for a wife.

Caleb

What exactly does a lowering link do other than lowering it? How does it work? Is there a good way to cut down a fork or is that crazy? I have read a few pages saying you can have the fork cut down and it maintains a good angle. Obviously it'd need to be done professionally is this is possible.

Depending on the fork, you can have it lowered internally. Again, it needs to be done by a professional (or at least someone comfortable tearing the forks down) but it can be done. The angles are important, but on a wife bike, I doubt they'll really care too much about the angles (or will even notice I should say).

Tonkaman

A lowering link will typically drop a bike 1-2". You do sacrifice some suspension travel and some would say even a little handling. As far as the front end just lower the fork tubes in the clamps. It will effect handling but for a beginner she probably won't notice any negative effects

Caleb

Don't rule out using a lowering link on some of the bikes and shaving the seat down.

Yep, I'd look at a 150XC with a lowering link, lower seat (ktm usually has a factory lower seat option, I know my old/Greg's 300 has the lower KTM seat along with the stock seat), and drop the forks a little along with having them lowered by a shop like Race Tech.

Caleb

How do you lower the rear? Is that where the lowering link comes in?

Yes, the lowering link replaces the link on the rear suspension. This obviously only works if the bike has a rear link. Luckily the 150XC does :D. Or you can send forks and shocks in to race tech and they can lower them both internally.

Cascadia

Undecided
Yep, I'd look at a 150XC with a lowering link, lower seat (ktm usually has a factory lower seat option, I know my old/Greg's 300 has the lower KTM seat along with the stock seat), and drop the forks a little along with having them lowered by a shop like Race Tech.
What a boring website! But I learned more on that boring website than I thought possible. They told me everything I needed to know. Thanks Caleb!

Caleb

What a boring website! But I learned more on that boring website than I thought possible. They told me everything I needed to know. Thanks Caleb!

:rofl: Yeah, their site sucks. It's even worse when you're trying to find the info you know is on there. Try and find that page by browsing around starting from their home page. Is doable but a PITA :D

sixstringsteve

Didn't the 350 freeride still weigh a fair amount? I remember when it actually came down to it, it wasn't a hybrid trails bike like it was played up to be??? I may be mistaken on that though :D It was a very mild trail bike though, great for a wife.

I think you're right.