Time to start again

hoosier

mtn yot
IMAG0221_zpsdacc530e.jpgSo like brad paisley said lets get a little mud on the tires. yep a poser pic but I can tell you I DID NOT tow it out there for the pic. I am still having a little bit of a fueling problem but at least it is running and driving.

hoosier

mtn yot
CAM00130_zps347b7e69.jpgSo I did some mall crawling. It flexes ok for 3/4 ton lift springs but I hope to run some 56s front and rear with a sway bar with disconnects in the front

hoosier

mtn yot
I have been having running issues. I am not sure what is wrong with it. it was bogging down so I would shut it off and start it right back up and it would run fine for a while. Then today I went to move it into my driveway and it would barely run. It kept popping an engine light. I hooked up the scanner and nothing. started it.. ran fine. It is still running like... well... not good.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
OBD1.jpg

just turn the key to on. Flashes codes three times, followed by a pause. ALL the pauses are pretty long. 12 is the "hello" and "goodbye" code to let you know you're done. There are various OBD1 code guides online once you get them.

Don't run the truck for very long, like a minute, with the pins jumped, if you have to at all.

hoosier

mtn yot
So I am 86.2% sure it is the throttle body. so next pay day I will be getting the rebuild kit. in the mean time I am working on cleaning up the inside. The panel they had for the lights looked... well... not good. So I started pulling the panel and the wiring out. this is what I found. CAM00140_zpse9f743e4.jpg Why is it that some people cant just take the time to learn how to do things right. Want a pain... oh well

idahoyj

I think the same guy wired my YJ. But mine must have been after yours, because he didnt have all of those fancy butt connectors left when he got to mine. All I got was twisted together connections wrapped in tape....

hoosier

mtn yot
Maybe they are cousins. Anyways, i rebuilt my throttle body and found rust. So i was excited to get it done. Rebuilt it put it in last night at 9 in the rain. I was so excited i even took it for a drive in tre rain without a heater and half doors. Took off like a champ, but after a little bit it started bogging done and not wanting to run. I am lost now. I am going to check the timing tonight but i am not sure

hoosier

mtn yot
So I got told maybe the cat was plugged, took it off guess what someone welded a cat shield on a straight piece of pipe. So my neighbor has a really nice scanner so he is brining it home Wednesday and hook it up and see how it is running. while I wait I decided to work on the interior. I got the lower panels in the rear done. I worked on one of the upper on the passenger side. I got it fiber glassed but I need to put filler on it tomorrow. hopefully Thursday I can get them both painted and put in by the weekend. CAM00165_zps116a11ae.jpgCAM00166_zps45a9ad42.jpg Thought I would throw up a pic of what the diaphragm looked like in the throttle bodyCAM00160_zpsbefb314b.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My friend did an FI swap on a YJ with a GM based FI system and had a fuel pump relay act funky as it warmed up. Replaced the relay and the thing runs WELL!

we tested by just running a switched jumper wire to the fuel pump (bypassing the relay) and it ran awesome

Last edited:

hoosier

mtn yot
Thanks it has been a long time coming. The plan is to cut out part of the passenger side and put in the original fuel door. but I need to get it running and the interior first.

hoosier

mtn yot
Well after much frustration and heart ache I think I have found my issue... I think. My distributor looks bad. I am in the process of finding one that I can use to double check. I hope I can get this done so I can run it at the 4wheel parts day next weekend. If anyone has a distributor they know works I would be willing to pay for it. well hoping by this weekend it will be fixed.

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
What motor does this have in it? EFI I am guessing? It could be the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow). Typically when a fuel injected vehicle first starts up it will run in open loop, which means it runs on a pre-determined set of values for fuel ratio. Once the motor heats up it will start reading the O2 sensor and MAF sensor and others (Temp, Manifold pressure, ect...) and then begin adjusting the amount of fuel into the motor based on these values. If the O2 sensor / MAF or other sensor is bad it can get some false readings and either starve the motor or flood the motor. Either way, it can fall on its face.
A "no start" along with the other problems you described seems more like a fuel delivery problem or the motor is getting flooded. Maybe Plugged fuel pump/fuel line, bad ground preventing pump from running correctly, fuel pump relay problem, the list goes on and on.

Was you ever able to pull the trouble codes? What where they?
Here are some DTC info I pulled up real quick that should be able to help you down the right path. Also the How to read the DTC PDF.

Good luck. It can be frustrating, but your building a pretty sweet rig. Keep up the good work. I'll be watching this build as it progresses.

Attachments

• 89GM-5.7FI-GAS-DTC-5.7-NO Auto-84904064l.jpg
    89GM-5.7FI-GAS-DTC-5.7-NO Auto-84904064l.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 89GM-5.7FI-GAS-With_4L60-Trans-DTC-1of2-84904064l.jpg
    89GM-5.7FI-GAS-With_4L60-Trans-DTC-1of2-84904064l.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 89GM-5.7FI-GAS-With_4L60-Trans-DTC-2of2-84904064l.jpg
    89GM-5.7FI-GAS-With_4L60-Trans-DTC-2of2-84904064l.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 89GM-5.7FI-GAS-With_4L80Trans-DTC-1of2-84904064l.jpg
    89GM-5.7FI-GAS-With_4L80Trans-DTC-1of2-84904064l.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 89GM-5.7FI-GAS-With_4L80Trans-DTC-2of2-84904064l.jpg
    89GM-5.7FI-GAS-With_4L80Trans-DTC-2of2-84904064l.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 2
  • reading-codes-1988-8211-95-models.pdf
    65.4 KB · Views: 0

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
if all electrical and ignition parts test out OK... maybe this: my coil burnt up on the HTT waterfall out of no where, the motor would not give me spark, 29 dollar part from checker that was on a 90's version TBI 5.7L.