Topic of Discussion TOD: Roll cage design and building

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
is a cage not strong enough if you only follow the vehicle pillars and roof line(in a solid roofed vehicle of course)? do you need to have triangles and such to make it safe? what is the best way to tie it to the frame? i have seen holes cut through the floor and cage attatched straight to frame and i have seen cage with plate on top of the floor and a plate on the under side of floor braced to the frame and then the two plates bolted together?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
andy d said:
is a cage not strong enough if you only follow the vehicle pillars and roof line(in a solid roofed vehicle of course)? do you need to have triangles and such to make it safe? what is the best way to tie it to the frame? i have seen holes cut through the floor and cage attatched straight to frame and i have seen cage with plate on top of the floor and a plate on the under side of floor braced to the frame and then the two plates bolted together?

That's the "basic" cage, which will add a lot of strength as compared to only the factory top. Adding triangles and gusseting will stiffen the whole thing, and make it stronger in a huge way, but will get in the way of rear-seat passengers if you have any, and stuff like that. If you want the cage to last more than one roll, interior bracing is needed. (your factory roof is gonna suffer though...)

My preference is floor plates, with another plate on the bottom, sandwiching the floor.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
you use different size plates or the same size? In the real world, does it make the difference the magazines have said it does???

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Tacoma said:
you use different size plates or the same size? In the real world, does it make the difference the magazines have said it does???
I'm interested to know what the mags say about different sizes of plate. I have alway used the same size.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Shawn said:
I'm interested to know what the mags say about different sizes of plate. I have alway used the same size.
The theory is that same-size plates can punch through the floor easier, kinda like a "cookie cutter", setting up a shear plane through the sheetmetal. In reality, nearly everyone I know uses same-size plates. :redneck:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I suppose if the bigger plate was on the bottom it might help a tiny bit? but I never could reason my way into that making a great argument.

Same size it is then. ;)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I just want to jump in and express the importance of NODES.

One of the best things you can do is tie multiple tubes and spreaders into a single point.

Attachments

• buggy-nodes.jpg
    buggy-nodes.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 405

broncofntc

Frame attachment

What is the recommended method for attaching to the frame, on a "jeep type vehicle"? Weld supports directly to the frame or reinforce the frame area with plate and bolt to that.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
broncofntc said:
What is the recommended method for attaching to the frame, on a "jeep type vehicle"? Weld supports directly to the frame or reinforce the frame area with plate and bolt to that.

John, when mine had a body( ;) ) I used a plate on the the top (in the vehicle) the about 1/2 of rubber the same size as the plate under the body. Then another plate under that that was weld to the frame via a tube....
A sort of sandwich
plate
floor
rubber
plate

Just allowed a little flex for the body, but still secured to the frame

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
rckcrlr said:
John, when mine had a body( ;) ) I used a plate on the the top (in the vehicle) the about 1/2 of rubber the same size as the plate under the body. Then another plate under that that was weld to the frame via a tube....
A sort of sandwich
plate
floor
rubber
plate

Just allowed a little flex for the body, but still secured to the frame

So you're just welding a 'fit' piece of tube to the frame end, correct?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Is .145 DOM to thick for a cage?

It's a bit thicker than most people use, so it will be a bit heavier than the same diameter .120 wall tube. What is the outside diameter of that tube? If it's somewhere between 1.5" and 2" it is probably usable, depending on the application and design of the cage.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I don't think it is really to hard to learn compared to CAD or some of them other programs I think it is mostly frustrating because it can be a ***** to get it to do some of the things you want until you figure out all the tricks. Here is a link for the free download.
It is actually a pretty fun program once you get the hang of it.
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

5.0explorer

Lets go splorin!
Are there any extra theories to take into consederation when building an exo-cage as opposed to an internal cage on a roofed rig?

Walter Mila

What Type Of Bender?

What type of bender is acceptable for bending up DOM tube 1.5" Diameter with a wall thickness of .095. I really do not know anyone with a tube bender and was wondering if one of those 12 ton bottle jack pipe benders would work with the 1/2 to 2" dies. I have been reading up on everyones suggestions on the cage build up. I have my "weldor" with a stick and mig welder. A drill press with hopefully the right bits to notch out the tube to connect them. A band saw to cut the tube when needed. But no bender hahaha...

Your guys help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!