Topic of Discussion TOD: Roll cage design and building

ProStreetZ28

Big Block Burb
What type of bender is acceptable for bending up DOM tube 1.5" Diameter with a wall thickness of .095. I really do not know anyone with a tube bender and was wondering if one of those 12 ton bottle jack pipe benders would work with the 1/2 to 2" dies. I have been reading up on everyones suggestions on the cage build up. I have my "weldor" with a stick and mig welder. A drill press with hopefully the right bits to notch out the tube to connect them. A band saw to cut the tube when needed. But no bender hahaha...

Your guys help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

I've only tried a couple of the cheap "pipe benders" and they didn't quite work right, they usually crimp the tube. I have a Pro Tools 105 bender and I'm getting ready to buy the hydraulic jack adapter from Copperhead Fab so that I don't have to kill myself bending.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I like the home built ones that seem to clamp the ram better. I was going to incorporate a little strap to help ensure that the ram did not slide through the clamp (if that was even a problem). The copperhead design looks a little thin on the end where it would hold all the pressure. But it seems to be holding up, that was my only concern about their design. But for the price I figured that I would give it a try. Did you see you can enter a discount code for a better price?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Hmmm, looks like a DIY kit....it's not assembled like they show it. That removes some of the attractiveness of it as compared to just fabbing one. :-\

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
My only concern with the design is the two areas in yellow circles. In my best guess that would be a lot of stress on those two thin plates of steel. I could see them wearing or breaking. But they are making and selling them, I have never heard of any problems, I just see that as a weak point in the design. I figured that it maybe strong enough, and if not I could aways fix it and make it better :busted:

TubeRam.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
that and it looks like a 3 year old cut it out with a plasma torch. For a "product" it looks kinda spotty. I'd be concerned about the steal tearing where the right hole (pictured above) is. Also - bending tube can retain some energy, if the bracket does break it's not going to just fall to the ground.

Corban_White

I built my own clamp style. I think the steel to do it cost less than the 3 grade 8 bolts I used to do the clamping. One of the main problems with the copperhead one is that the two pieces are welded after assembling onto the jack and the jack cannot be removed without cutting the bracket apart. Here is a pretty good thread on using this jack with the benders: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303

EDIT: if anyone is interested in a short piece of thick walled tube the right size to slip over the HF jack, let me know.

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I converted my bender to hydraulic today using this ram. I got it for $69.99 on sale, and used a bunch of scrap stuff I had lying around for the rest. I am really impressed with how well it works. It's really not too slow, once the bend is started I don't know that I would want it much faster. I wonder if people are not using enough air pressure. It says to use 110 - 120 PSI, at 90 PSI (like you may have your regulator set from other air tools) it would be significantly slower.

I'm thinking the degree ring may be more usable with the hydraulic conversion. :cool:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4902 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4902 (Medium).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 476

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Very nice Braden! I've been planning on doing the same thing. I like your mounting system much better, even though it is scrap. :cool:

bobmed

- - - -
I don't remember where I got these but I was going to try it.

Attachments

• benderhydro1.jpg
    benderhydro1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 99
  • benderhydro2.jpg
    benderhydro2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 91
  • benderhydro3.jpg
    benderhydro3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 85