Tow Rig opinions needed

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm looking for a Tow Rig... under $9k. I've been looking at 1/2 Ton Chevy Gas pickups & some Ford PowerStrokes. If I could find a Cummins around $9k, I'd do it, but they don't exist. Anyhow, here's what I found, tell me if you think it's worth it-

1995 Ford Powerstroke Ext Cab, 200k miles, XLT, 4x4. Price, $6,800. (Not sure if its a Auto or Manual, probably Auto.)

What are the thougths on the mileage? It sounds OK to me. I'd rather have a diesel than a gas truck but they are hard to come across under $9k. Thoughts?

Caleb

I wouldn;t let the mileage scare ya...but if its an auto I would hope the auto has been rebuilt, and for your benefit, recently...I would go 3/4T or larger for sure even if you have to go with a gasser...I have had zero probelms with mine and it has 258K on it now...

Sheesh you dang newbie...search its been discussed:rofl:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
'95 was prier to the intercooler?

I had a 94 chev 1/2 ton w/nv4500 it was a great truck but, when I built the jeepster(heavier) it just seemed like it was putting alot more strain on it and I just did not want the worry. So I bought the CTD w/nv5600.

Look for a manual and don't let the mileage get to you on the deisels.

Caleb

Originally posted by Hickey
I would trade mine for the same truck, only 2wd, in a second.

why do you want 2WD:confused:...is it too tempting to take it out since your jeep is in hibernation:D (mines in DEEEEEEEEP hibernation:p)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I loved my old 91 2wd F150. Sucker had 170k on it and still got 15mpg every tank. 12 when towing the Jeep. I miss ole blue sometimes...:(

gtidrivr

i have a great tow rig for sale just in the right price range for ya. its a 93 ford f-250 136,000 460ci auto 4x4 extra cab shell carpet kit runs great tows great ac is cold 5900 or offer if interested its at 268 e 9000 s in sandy or call 801-913-5622 if you know curt from cruisers i was with him 2 weekends ago and he saw it and suka has pictures but sorry no digi here

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by gtidrivr
... curt from cruisers i was with him 2 weekends ago and he saw it ...

Didn't look at it closely but it did look like a clean Ford. My dad had the 460 awhile before his Cummins... that thing TOWED like mad.... gas mileage wasn't the greatest but it hit some hills fast.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'll pass on the 460'd rig.... I want more than 6 gallons per mile, :p .

Thanks for the info, I'll watch for the Auto. If it's an Auto that's been rebuilt, would it be worthwhile?