Tow Rig opinions needed

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I thought you could get an 'oil analysis' for diesel engines????......talk or maybe have someone at Gillette take a look at it for you.....It'd be worth the peace of mind to get a 'professional' opinion

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I just talked to my friend who used to work at a Ford dealership as a mechanic. He's going to look at this '95 tomorrow & tell me what he thinks. He knows these things inside & out, looks like I owe someone lunch and then some.

He tells me not to worry about 300k!! :eek:

I may have a cheap Tow Rig after all...... :rofl:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Greg
I just talked to my friend who used to work at a Ford dealership as a mechanic. He's going to look at this '95 tomorrow & tell me what he thinks. He knows these things inside & out, looks like I owe someone lunch and then some.

He tells me not to worry about 300k!! :eek:

I may have a cheap Tow Rig after all...... :rofl:
Just keep an eye on that tranny, maybe get some temp guage and inline cooler for it.

Greg

Admin
Yeah, a Cooler & Temp Guage would be very wise. I'm sure there would be plenty of things to repair, replace & upgrade to make it a reliable Tow Rig.

Do you know of any Mods to get better fuel mileage? I don't want some 900 Ft Lb Tranny Killer, but more mileage would be great.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Greg

Yeah, I need to find a good mechanic that could get specific details.

Anyone know a good diesel shop?

I was thinking about getting the VIN, looking up the last owner at the DMV & contacting them about rebuilds & repairs.

Joe's Diesel. 930 W Jewell Ave (1910 S.) Great Shop

BTW everyone of the Mech's there drives a Dodge 12V Cummins.

Hmm....Does that say anything

Also my dodge 24mpg HWY 12-16 with my car hauler and truck.

Last edited:

Caleb

Originally posted by James K

did I mis-spell

I dont know if you mispelled it but a girl I went to school with family owns it...her name is Amber but I doubt she would remember me since she was such a druggie I bet she doesn;t remember anything from 9th grade on:D...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Hickey
Well Greg, did you get it?

Would you be interested in a lift for it?:D

that sure sounds like a lot of miles on a PS...for a cummins, you are just getting into the primetime.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Originally posted by supergper

I dont know if you mispelled it but a girl I went to school with family owns it...her name is Amber but I doubt she would remember me since she was such a druggie I bet she doesn;t remember anything from 9th grade on:D...

the service manager lives in my friends nieghborhood. Ron or ? can't remember.

Greg

Admin
Well Greg, did you get it?

Would you be interested in a lift for it?:D

I made an offer, he counter offered, we settled on $6,200, :D .

I had my good friend Will @ Intermountain Land Rover check it out. I trust his opinion, since he worked on PSD's for 3 yrs. He pointed out a bunch of small things then gave his recommendation on buying it. He said not to sweat the mileage.... at all. It's a non-issue!

It does need some work, but nothing that's urgent. Just general maintainance stuff. The previous owner seemed to have taken pretty good care of it, so I went ahead with the purchase. I got it $3k below NADA Low book, so if & when I need to sell it, I should be able to get my $ out.

I'll pass on the lift Jeremy.... thanks though.

Anywho, I wouldn't leave out the pics!! Here you go..... looks like any other PSD-

Attachments

• 100_1109.jpg
    100_1109.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 46

Greg

Admin
It's got a K&N, 265/75 Sport Kings w/ plenty of tread, and Rancho 9000's, Wohoo! It didn't come with a CD Player, but luckily for me I have a extra one laying around. The Tint is the ugly purple crap, so that'll go eventually. There's a ugly arse crack in the dash, too. Besides that, the interior looks flawless. It's a XLT, so it's got power windows/locks & Cruise. Oh, & the Bench seat is the best feature!! :rofl:

From the front-

Attachments

• 100_1108.jpg
    100_1108.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 45

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I beleive it is a Tuff country lift. 4 inch. It's the one on mine now. I want a lower CG for hauling a camper. I just want to swap suspensions. It's a block in the rear I beleive.

Greg

Admin
I beleive it is a Tuff country lift. 4 inch. It's the one on mine now. I want a lower CG for hauling a camper. I just want to swap suspensions. It's a block in the rear I beleive.

I'll pass. I'd consider 2", but I like the way the truck currently sits. Plus, there's no reason to make it more difficult to tow. :)