Tow Rig opinions needed

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Originally posted by Greg
I'll pass on the 460'd rig.... I want more than 6 gallons per mile, :p .

Thanks for the info, I'll watch for the Auto. If it's an Auto that's been rebuilt, would it be worthwhile?

I think if its been recent and a few improvements were done when rebuilt.

Lazarus401

Old Time RME'r
It seems that every one uses Trucks as tow rigs. Has anyone ever used a van. I am looking at picking up, a mid 90's GMC 2500 Explorer Conversion van. It has 3/4 t frame and axles, but is only powered by a 350. SO I know that up hills may be slow, but are there any other real downers? I am looking at this to use to pull quads as well. So the kids will have a nice place to rest if they get tired. PLus I can get it for 3K. It also only has 80,000 miles on it.

Comments and concerns are most welcome.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'll pass on the 460'd rig.... I want more than 6 gallons per mile, :p ..,

We actually got closer to 10-12 mpg with the cab-over camper and 21' boat... The cummins now does the same job at about 16 mpg... and it still has some breakin time... :D

Caleb

Originally posted by Lazarus401
It seems that every one uses Trucks as tow rigs. Has anyone ever used a van. I am looking at picking up, a mid 90's GMC 2500 Explorer Conversion van. It has 3/4 t frame and axles, but is only powered by a 350. SO I know that up hills may be slow, but are there any other real downers? I am looking at this to use to pull quads as well. So the kids will have a nice place to rest if they get tired. PLus I can get it for 3K. It also only has 80,000 miles on it.

Comments and concerns are most welcome.

there are quite a few guys on POR that use vans, mainly for the reasons you stated (cheap and a place to sleep)...the 350 is gonna be worked if you hae a rig on the trailer but it will do the job just fine...

Caleb

Originally posted by Hickey
I loved my old 91 2wd F150. Sucker had 170k on it and still got 15mpg every tank. 12 when towing the Jeep. I miss ole blue sometimes...:(

What does your truck now get??? My very worst tank I have had in mine was 14.9 mpg and I was towing a lot that tank...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Lazarus401
It seems that every one uses Trucks as tow rigs. Has anyone ever used a van. ..

I think Ford Econoline with the PS would be awesome... chip, ehaust, injectors.. Get the travel conversion done.. and you have a sweet shaggin wagon for you and your rig.. :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit

I think Ford Econoline with the PS would be awesome... chip, ehaust, injectors.. Get the travel conversion done.. and you have a sweet shaggin wagon for you and your rig.. :D
When I bought my truck, there was a 01 PSD econoline in the paper for 15k.:eek:

Lazarus401

Old Time RME'r
Originally posted by supergper

there are quite a few guys on POR that use vans, mainly for the reasons you stated (cheap and a place to sleep)...the 350 is gonna be worked if you hae a rig on the trailer but it will do the job just fine...

This is pretty much what I thought. It will probably end up being my DD as well. Creature comforts are nice, and the 2wd Ranger that I currently drive is so small. I would love a Diesel Truck, but they definitely dont come cheap.

robrocketanski

i love a van as a tow rig. i picked up the best deal while in slc. a 78 e250 w/ a 460 and dual tanks rust free from california for 700. it would tow my 2000lb construction trailer w/ 91 toy like it wasnt there but only got 7 mpg trailer or not. and it was a conversion not cargo.
i recently was given a 90 ford e350 ambulance (van body, not box and srw) w/ a 6.9 it was free but i havent picked it up yet- it may be junk:( but it ran when parked. and it has a second alternator running 110v and outlets inside.
i currently use my father-in-laws 3/4 ton chevy 2wd reg cab long bed w/ a 350 and it will do 80-90 mph w/ a car on the 18' trailer not that i drive so dangerously:rolleyes: gets about 12 mpg towing.

robrocketanski

wait there's more .02 it appears that a chevy 3/4 ton van (most are) is no different than a half ton and 1 ton chevy vans are not common. while ford on the other hand doesnt seem to do much to a 1 ton that a 3/4 ton doesnt have.
point being almost all chevy vans are half ton pick-ups minus the frame while 3/4 ton ford vans are like a 1 ton.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OK, since when does 'It has 200k miles' mean it actually has 300k?? :rolleyes: Stupid used car salesmen....

I just checked it out, 296k miles. It looks like it had a Camper in the back, so the previous owner drove it all over the country, apparently. 300k on a 1995.....that's 35k a year! The dealership got it an auction. As far as they know, the only maintainance that's been done is having the Injectors & Pump serviced & the Tranny, too. Oh, & it's an auto. Everything felt OK.... The engine started easy, didn't smoke & actually looked great under the hood. The oil & tranny fluid looked new. I think they'd take around $5,800 if I made the offer.

Do the older 'Strokes feel weak off the line? This truck had nothing off the line, then pulled pretth hard right before shifting out of first (Boost kicks in), then pulled hard into & thru 2nd. The shifting felt pretty tight.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what to do. $5,800 is hella cheap, but I don't want to rebuild the engine or tranny in a year. Anyone know what a engine or tranny rebuild costs on a PSD?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
as far as off the line power, that is how they are. They don't make much power till about 1800 RPM, when the turbo spools up.

Greg

Admin
That's what I figured, it seems like it would have more power with a load on it.

Is there anyway to tell the current condition of a PowerStroke?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That's what I figured, it seems like it would have more power with a load on it.

there are a few things that can be done to make the turbo spool earlier, it's mostly about getting more air to flow through it. When mine is hooked up to the trailer with Jeep, it feels gutless off the line until the turbo spools, then it feels like I just hit the nitrous switch. As far as knowing the condition of the engine, I have no Idea. Maybe it wouuld be worth it to take it to a Diesel Mech. and have it looked at before you buy it. The salesman should let you do this.

Caleb

Yeah, the cool thing is that when you do have a load you can't tell a big diff powerwise...mines the same way as Jeremy described, once it spools up it really picks up...

I dont know really how to tell if its worn (I would like to check mine out as well) maybe take it to a diesel shop and see what they say...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by supergper

I dont know really how to tell if its worn (I would like to check mine out as well) maybe take it to a diesel shop and see what they say...
Yup, even if it costs you a hundred bucks, you will feel a lot better if you buy it or if you don't.

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Hickey
Yup, even if it costs you a hundred bucks, you will feel a lot better if you buy it or if you don't.

Yeah, I need to find a good mechanic that could get specific details.

Anyone know a good diesel shop?

I was thinking about getting the VIN, looking up the last owner at the DMV & contacting them about rebuilds & repairs.