Tow Rig Talk... Dodge Cummins - More power?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
While I am very content with the power my truck has, I am getting curious about what kind of extra power and gas mileage I can squeeze out of it.

Does anybody have any experience with this; Micro Tuner ?

I like the idea of the Micro tuner because you just plug it in, program it, unplug it and your done. No connections to come loose...

What are some other available super chips available for the 24 valve cummins? Anything I should be aware of? Any advise?

Thanks in advance. :)

Turbobob

Semper Fi
I have the Edge EZ box on my 2000 CTD. In the top setting, adds about 80 HP and 165 TQ. There is an Edge Comp that adds even more! If you have an automatic trans, be careful about adding more power. The trans needs mods before it will handle it. Also, if you do add a "box" of some kind, re-do the exhaust as well. The stock exhaust is too restrictive. Check out www.dodge-diesel.org. Lots of good info there.HTH :D

sibeta

Herzog said:
While I am very content with the power my truck has, I am getting curious about what kind of extra power and gas mileage I can squeeze out of it.

Does anybody have any experience with this; Micro Tuner ?

I like the idea of the Micro tuner because you just plug it in, program it, unplug it and your done. No connections to come loose...

What are some other available super chips available for the 24 valve cummins? Anything I should be aware of? Any advise?

Thanks in advance. :)

I also did the EZ chip on my 2000 Cummins and it made a difference. However Injectors are the way to go for more power. If you are running an auto you will have to plan a good rebuild if you add injectors. For the money and power the EZ Edge chip is the best. Exhaust is a good upgrade. They say by just changing the exhaust syestem you can add a ton of HP's. I guess it is pretty restrictive.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I had the exhaust system tested a couple months ago and it didn't register any resistance at all. I understand that a larger exhaust is the way to go if you add a box to the system though.

Tell me about upgrading the transmission. I've browsed a few places and heard them call it "bombing". What's this all about?

Turbobob

Semper Fi
Tell me about upgrading the transmission. I've browsed a few places and heard them call it "bombing". What's this all about?[/QUOTE]

Don't know much about the autos...mine has the 6 speed :D Check BD performance's website. They have all kinds of stuff for the trannys.

B-RAD

I have an edge EZ box and an AFE cold filter rest is stock oh the truck has a 5spd go see or call my buddy, Zane he owns Wide Open performance 233-1111 he can hook you up from mild upgrades to radical twin turbos plus you got to see the radical power stroke the built. the mild mods I made gave me about +
3-4 mpg and the power increase is wonderful

James K

NO, I'm always like this
bombings= better off modified :D

The exhaust will help the turbo spool faster. Thus getting you to peak boost quicker. So will adding a less restrictive air filter/system. Which in turn makes that power upgrade that much better ;)

But like Bob said try BD performance that do so nice upgrades for a auto.

Mine is also a 6spd

sukaB

Banned
My 99 cummer has a 60hp chip, 210 injectors,full magnaflow exhaust,no governor limit,k&n filter,HPC exhaust manifold, 3inch lift, 35 Interco Truxus, Shell, Anarchy adjustable Control arms, U-bolt yokes, redline cottage cheese gear oils, and custom built tranny by BD-(first one that's ever worked after 4) ..
Stock gears i have to tow at 85 to run 2000rpm but seems to be better for mileage and TIME :D ;)
My truck Is not even close to the fastest but I seem to get way better mileage at 18-1/2-19-1/2 towing with full load heavy trailer, golf cart and buggie.
Unloaded is around 22 gal per mile...
I wouldnt trade her for the world.....I would take my truck over my house..
I spend more time in it..! :cool: :suka:

troutbum

cubi-kill
12v vs 24v

Is there a major difference in the exhaust systems between 12 and 24 valve CTDs? The reason I ask is I read at TRD.com that you need A LOT of hp before the exhaust is the limiting factor. true or false??

James K

NO, I'm always like this
troutbum said:
Is there a major difference in the exhaust systems between 12 and 24 valve CTDs? The reason I ask is I read at TRD.com that you need A LOT of hp before the exhaust is the limiting factor. true or false??

I know from my on experience. I added the cat back 4" kit first made a difference with EGT's and also freed up things and then when I added the front half of the full 4 inch exhaust that my EGT's dropped another 50 degrees. It also made the turbo spool up faster.

Try going to the ATS web site or thier place in murray. Also try HOG performance also located in murray.

As far as difference in 12/24 exhaust system. I don't believe there is because the exhaust I bought for my 2000 was for 94-2001 when I bought it.

sukaB

Banned
James K said:
Is it a boat or a truck :rofl:

That would be spendy eehh...
It's the other way around you clown asses... :p

My Truck used to run around 800-1050degrees towing uphill but the full exhaust from Magnaflow helped a ton and then HPC'd my mani and that helped too.
Now I run around 600-800.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Brandon, I can't believe you get 18-19 MPG while towing.... at 80! And yours is an Auto?!

I want to build mine for the best MPG. I was thinking about Propane from ATS, the Edge EZ & straight piped. Those are my current plans...

Shane- One of my friends has the SuperChips Micro Tuner for a PSD. He's trying to figure out how to make it work for more than just one vehicle.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
sukaB said:
That would be spendy eehh...
It's the other way around you clown asses... :p

My Truck used to run around 800-1050degrees towing uphill but the full exhaust from Magnaflow helped a ton and then HPC'd my mani and that helped too.
Now I run around 600-800.

What did your HPCing the manifold cost you?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
James K said:
What did your HPCing the manifold cost you?

Just FYI, the guy that owns HPC in SLC has offered a discount (10% ??) to RME members. :cool:

Can you have a sentance with more abbrevations? I think not....

sukaB

Banned
Greg said:
Just FYI, the guy that owns HPC in SLC has offered a discount (10% ??) to RME members. :cool:

Hpc Is a sponsor of ours so I got it free but it would run $120 complete.
I definetely think it's worth it now..
I can make it from Moab to my driveway in 2hrs 45 minutes at nighttime.
Half tank either way..
I can't wait to get a lighter alum trailer... :D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Greg said:

So what do you have to say to get the discount :D

If you try harder I bet you can :p

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Greg said:
Shane- One of my friends has the SuperChips Micro Tuner for a PSD. He's trying to figure out how to make it work for more than just one vehicle.

My dad has a Micro Tuner for his PSD also. At the lowest setting they said that he didn't have to make any exhaust modifications. I drove it before and after the chip and you can tell a huge difference! He gained a bit of mileage out of it too.

I think the Micro Tuners first download the stock configs, then upload the new ones. Basically it swaps information in the memory, so you really can't use it again, until you swap the information back again... That's just what I heard anyways.

I want to find more information on my Transmission for modifications, then I want to do the low setting on the SuperChip just to try it out. :)