Tow Rig Talk... Dodge Cummins - More power?

B-RAD

well hell I drive fast. I've been known to make my buddies squil like little girls. I've pulled my Jeep way over 100 mph. I usally do sandy to moab or moab to sandy in just over 3 hrs. my 99 cummer flys but suka I must say I think some of that bleach has ate into your brain either your full of sh!t or your nutty as hell J/K next moab trip we got to race. unless the wife & kid are with me.
FLAME ON.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
bigtex said:
Has any one here had a Ats diesel automatic tranny. If they'll do what they claim, they are impressive. I am thinking of getting one along with there triple loc torque converter. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have one...Built by a shop here, but with all ATS parts...triple lock converter, triple lock valve body and trans commander...Billet input shaft...
Mucho dinero but I love it. I would recommend their parts to everybody here.

www.atsdieselperformance.com :)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I personally wouldn't brag about makeing that run in 2:45 with a jeep in tow. It may seem 'cool' and an achievement to boast about, but it's only a matter of time till you kill someone innocent. I'd be emberrased for maliciously endangering the lives of other people. just my 2 cents. I'd just as soon take the extra 30 minutes and live to wheel for another year.

kinda like driving drunk--you may think you're totally in control and brag about how good of a driver you are after haveing some beers, but it's only a matter of time till you kill yourself, or worse, someone else.

Cody

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Cody said:
I personally wouldn't brag about makeing that run in 2:45 with a jeep in tow. It may seem 'cool' and an achievement to boast about, but it's only a matter of time till you kill someone innocent. I'd be emberrased for maliciously endangering the lives of other people. just my 2 cents. I'd just as soon take the extra 30 minutes and live to wheel for another year.

kinda like driving drunk--you may think you're totally in control and brag about how good of a driver you are after haveing some beers, but it's only a matter of time till you kill yourself, or worse, someone else.

Cody
Dude......totally.

sukaB said:
On that note KNUBER can eat a .....

All I can say to prove it is lets TOW....
BIZZZZZZZlllllleeeeee
Your computer **** aint what my skinny pedal can add up..
I"ve done Moab in 2:45 if youd like a ride you must suck or pay gas BITCH..
Green river to wellington in 5:30 turkey traffic passing was 31minutes...
I have two dudes that back it so recalculate web wheeler FORD dude!!!
Radio's help but you know all right. :suka:

You think My truck got the name Grey ghost cause I gave it....****....

57 miles in 31 minutes is 110mph. You've answered one of my questions...how 'bout 36 miles from Wellington to Soldier's? (though going up is usually faster than coming down on that stretch) to Spanish Fork? (another 37 miles) There are places you can haul living ass...but stretches where vettes have to slow down too. And except for 3am, between Provo and the Point, there's too many dickheads doin' 50 in all 3 lanes...you musta got lucky there.

bigtex

HOWDY
bryson said:
I have one...Built by a shop here, but with all ATS parts...triple lock converter, triple lock valve body and trans commander...Billet input shaft...
Mucho dinero but I love it. I would recommend their parts to everybody here.

www.atsdieselperformance.com :)

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated and very helpful. How mucho dinero are you talking about? Is it worth it to order one directly form them already rebuilt or do you recommend having a local shop do the install? I have a mechanic who will swap the trannies for me for 250 bucks if I have the tranny shipped to him.

bigtex

HOWDY
bryson said:
No problem.
I like the idea of a local shop doing it...warranty and service are a breeze if you ever need it. As far as the money goes......well......it was more than my jeep cost me (originally) which is over $4k. :eek:

http://www.quadzillapower.com/bigdawg-dyno-results-small.wmv

cool short video...even though they kill a 12v Cummins. :suka:

The video is pretty cool. It amazes me the amount of horse power these engines will put out. I got lots of questions. How long have you had your tranny and how many miles. Do you do any heavy towing? Is the billet input shaft a necessity. It is great to be able to talk with someone who has one. Once again, many thanks for the info.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Have only had the tranny for a month or two, and have not done any serious towing yet (just around town.) I do not think the billet shaft is a necessity...but it sure looks cool. :rolleyes:

I just bought the billet input shaft because I have seen a broken one before. I didn't want to take any chances. I figured I would do it right the 1st time. Hopefully it is the last time, too. :D

The best parts are by far the triple-loc converter, and the lock-up commander/valve body. You can control when the converter locks up (even in 1st and 2nd gear now!) which also lets your tranny run a lot cooler. :cool:
You can also keep the converter locked when decending a hill, which means you don't have to ride your brakes when coming down the summit!

BTW...If anyone is interested, I was taught a trick that you can use on a stock tranny to make a torque converter lock-up control with just toggle switch and tapping into one of the factory Dodge PCM wires. You can lock it up anytime in 3rd or OD...and it is free!:suka:

Last edited:

DToy

Herzog said:
While I am very content with the power my truck has, I am getting curious about what kind of extra power and gas mileage I can squeeze out of it.

Does anybody have any experience with this; Micro Tuner ?

I have the micro tuner for my '99 cummins. It works, contrary to what alot of people and local shops tried to tell me. I bought mine on ebay for $289 shipped to my door...not bad for the power gain, plus you can scan/reset your codes and adjust your speedo for tire size.

I just added an Edge Comp (without the pump wire hooked up for the time being) and got about the same jump as with the Micro Tuner :eek: :D . A tranny rebuild is definitely in the not-so-distant future though, since I do get a little bit of Torque Converter shudder at about 50-60 mph when really mashing it.

Cummins is the only way to go!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
DToy said:
I just added an Edge Comp (without the pump wire hooked up for the time being) and got about the same jump as with the Micro Tuner :eek: :D . A tranny rebuild is definitely in the not-so-distant future though, since I do get a little bit of Torque Converter shudder at about 50-60 mph when really mashing it.

Cummins is the only way to go!

Is this box still adjustable even without the pump wire hooked up??? Why didn't you hook it up? Has anybody else heard that most 98 and some 99 injection pumps can be siezed by doing this? (I heard about 1 in 100 chance or so...) I have an Edge EZ on my 98 right now, but would like the Comp...is the comp box about the same as the EZ when it is hooked up like yours? :)

BTW...when you get your tranny done, it will make your truck seem so much faster...it is amazing how much the stock T/C clutch slips....

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You guys rock! The tech in here is better than the Tow rig section on PBB, a question like this would have been answered with either "Search!" or "Try this website"

I myself want the questions answered by people who I know are towing the same hills and toys as me. :)

DToy

bryson said:
Is this box still adjustable even without the pump wire hooked up??? Why didn't you hook it up? Has anybody else heard that most 98 and some 99 injection pumps can be siezed by doing this? (I heard about 1 in 100 chance or so...) I have an Edge EZ on my 98 right now, but would like the Comp...is the comp box about the same as the EZ when it is hooked up like yours? :)

BTW...when you get your tranny done, it will make your truck seem so much faster...it is amazing how much the stock T/C clutch slips....

Yep, the Comp box is adjustable even without the pump wire hooked up. From what I'm told it's basically like running an EZ. I don't have the wire hooked up because I still have 10 months of warranty left, and the auto tranny is slipping as it is. I can't wait to rebuild the tranny...I just haven't found the coin to do it yet.

More often than not the injection pump gets killed by the lift pump going bad and starving the VP44 (injection pump). Just make sure you have a fuel pressure gauge and you'll know when your lift pump goes bad.

bigtex

HOWDY
bryson said:

Awesome I can't wait to have one put in. My current tranny is about to kick the bucket. It has difficulty shifting from second to third when it's cold. It will drive you up the wall. Now all I need to do is to find the $ to pay for one. Ditto what Hickey said, "You guys rock." Thanks again.

DToy

Another Great Diesel Resource

For all you guys with Dodge Cummins trucks, there's a ton of information on the Turbo Diesel Register

I've been a member of the TDR since I bought my truck, and it's well-worth the $35. More info there than you could find time to read, plus their quarterly magazines are full of cool info.