Trip Report: Hole in the Rock March 22-25 2012

Hardcastle

Brandon told me I needed to check this out. Very nice video, Steve. I've put together plenty of gopro vids and know how much time and effort it takes to make something that nice. Good job.

Invite brandon on your next adventure. He has an r/c helicopter you can use. My latest video features some arial footage from that.

sixstringsteve

everything IS easy on the trials bike. Too easy sometimes. I'll put together soon of a video of GAR and me riding Hanging Tree in the middle of a hail storm/flash flood on our dirt bikes.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Kick ass video Steve, oddly enough when you sent me the text that it was posted I was in lake powell :D Started summer there ended summer there

cackalak

Sorry to bump this back up, but great photos. Quick question - what do you think would be the minimal vehicle requirement to run this trail (modification wise)? Sliders? Lift? 33's? Bumpers?

sixstringsteve

depends on the vehicle and the driver. What type of vehicle do you have? I think super wide vehicles would struggle more than narrow ones.

The white JK Rubicon was brand new, only 2000 miles on it. It was 100% stock except for a 2.5" lift (although all Rubi's have a 4:1 and lockers front and rear).

The samurai in our group had 30" tires, but it was being driven by one of Utah's best offroad drivers.

Here's the list I'd make, in order of importance for this trail.

- rear bumper
- good tires (more important than size)
- reliable vehicle, it's a pretty remote trail
- good gearing
- maybe a small lift

If the driver is totally new at rock crawling and desn't want a scratch, I'd say rear bumper, 33's, sliders, and a rear locker.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sorry to bump this back up, but great photos. Quick question - what do you think would be the minimal vehicle requirement to run this trail (modification wise)? Sliders? Lift? 33's? Bumpers?

Minimums for a trail are all relative to the specific vehicle and driver skill.

Steve was the one who organized the trip and his requirements were as follows

Vehicle Requirements:
- 33" tires
- rear locker
- sliders (unless you don't care about denting your rocker panels)
- rear bumper
- reliable vehicle

Seemed pretty reasonable. I think a couple people weren't quite to those specs but didn't have any issues. I'm not counting Scott in that since he is insane and drives his sami pretty much anywhere.

cackalak

Thanks for the replies. I've got a 100-series LC aka fat pig. Currently stock with 33's. No locker, but does have ATRAC. Long overdue mods are medium OME lift from cruiseroutfitter and sliders from metal-tech or Slee. No plans for bumpers, and don't care if the plastic bumpers get scratches. May be better if they do get trashed to convice the wife I need new ARB's...

sixstringsteve

I'm curious to see what Kurt says. I'm sure he'll chime in. He has more experience with the trail and 100 series cruisers than almost anyone.

If it were me, I'd pick a rear bumper and skids before a lift for this trail. I doubt you'll require a locker, the ATRAC does a great job. None of us hit our sliders, but we all sat a bit higher than a 100. Sliders may be nice peace of mind.

The rear bumper isn't for scratches, it's to prevent slams when dropping off a ledge. Almost everyone drug their rear bumper at 2:23:

[video=youtube;F8sAn8dOwUU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8sAn8dOwUU[/video]

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Man what a fun trip, I just hope I have a rig if this trip happens again this year. Was such a blast, I would like to do it again a little slower and do some more exploring on foot.

Maybe if the 4runner is sold I can ride shotgun with Brian ;)

Caleb

Man what a fun trip, I just hope I have a rig if this trip happens again this year. Was such a blast, I would like to do it again a little slower and do some more exploring on foot.

Maybe if the 4runner is sold I can ride shotgun with Brian ;)

OR...you'll still have your bike and we can do a bike trip :D I'd love to ride this trail again on my bike.

As for vehicle specs, I agree with what the others have said, depends on the driver, the rig, and your tolerance level of damage. For the most part, this isn't a tough trail in a vehicle. We had a stock LJ on 30-31" tires and other than dragging the rear (bumper and gas tank a few times) it got through no problem.