Turbo time!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Picked up an intercooler for the build. A bit bigger than twice the size of the factory one, and I think I can work with the input/outputs without much modification.

Any idea what the original application was for this unit (assuming it isn't a total custom job like it appears to be)? What are the core dimensions?

BTW: it gets substantial bonus points for having the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. This will reduce/eliminate internal 'backflow' issues while also maximizing its thermal efficiency.

xjtony

The core is about 16x9 and 2 inches deep. He said it was modified for a turbo Miata, but the inlet and outlet are in good spots to set it up how I want (hopefully) they are both 2.25 inches. I will roll a bead on the side with the 90 before installing and give it a good clean/leak check

xjtony

The generic 10 bar AFR gauge that I had installed worked fine and seemed to read right, but occasionally would not read correctly at all. The signal was also filtered. I'm sure it was done so you could read the gauge more easily with out it bouncing up and down. The issue with this is that there was a fair amount of lag which would be problematic once I start adding boost past the fuel tables. Auto Meter for some piece of mind. The one that was in there will go into the Power Wagon to help with carb tuning. The filtered read out will not be as much of an issue in that application.
20240111_143000.jpg

xjtony

Damn it.... :D.

89 Chrysler TC by Maserati. Doesn't run but low miles, 63000 I believe. No rust, I think I can cut and buff the paint. Mechanically very clean. The interior is filthy, but not in too bad of shape. T2 2.2 Turbo car. This engine color combination is 1 of 781. Even has the factory Maserati umbrella
20240210_134604.jpg20240210_134614.jpg20240210_134639.jpg20240210_141638.jpg20240203_163639.jpg20240203_163632.jpg20240203_163534.jpg

xjtony

This one is going to be a keeper. I'm treating it like a budget resto. It's too good and too weird for parts. That's my problem, I keep bringing them home but they are too good to part out lol. No rust, no dents just a bit of elbow grease hopefully

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
THIS JUST IN:

Anybody else looking for a local parts/project turbo Dodge car?

The Lancer appears to be a (very rare) 1988 Dodge Lancer Shelby, which means it has a true TurboII engine and an A-555 transmission. I'm told it is complete under the hood. At $650, it would easily be worth the price just for those parts alone.

FYI

xjtony

I just showed that to my son (I've given the LeBaron to him to build). The Lancer is a Shelby, the Daytona is a Turbo Z as well. I know someone who has gone down and looked at them. If the boy picks up the Lancer that will be the drive train for his car.