Turning my tow rig into an expedition camper

Our old camper was destroyed when one of the jacks failed. So we stripped it of all the appliances, and goods on the interior and planned to build a tough off- road camper that would take a beating and be more roomy than a traditional slide in camper. I also wanted the camper to be removable so that the truck can be used for other things.

I have to get this camper all put together before Easter Jeep Safari. So I have only a few weeks. This truck tows a trailer with our Dodge T-Rex 6x6, or pulls our Jeep behind it. The Truck is a GMC 5500 4x4. I first built a custom winch bumper for it and put in new exhaust.

Now I took it up to my buddy's shop in Idaho: Casper Customs. Cory the owner builds ultimate 4x4's and extreme rock buggies. You may have seen some of his work in TTC.

Well, this would be the first camper for Cory and I. But I new that we could do it.

First i built a winch bumper for the truck. Here is the truck as Cory's shop in Idaho.

38654904054_large.jpg

Next we laid out the fram as I had designed it.

38654904003_large.jpg

Here is Cory starting to weld up the frame.

38654904005_large.jpg

Here is the frame coming together:

38654904008_large.jpg

Now piecing and cross memebers:

38654904010_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Where's the pics?

LT.

Their coming, I just get so busy I don't have time to sit down and download pictures. Tonight I will try but I have soccer practice from 5-6, I teach at the univ. from 6:30 - 9 and then I will have dinner and try and download some pictures.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
OK I finally got time to load the pictures. So I hired Cheston to build my cabinets, walls, bunkbeds, and tables, because I DO NOT WORK WELL WITH WOOD ( everything I make out of wood looks like an ash tray..:ugh::ugh:). Cheston does great work. See for yourself:

38654904084_large.jpg

38654904085_large.jpg

38654904086_large.jpg

38654904087_large.jpg

I finished the plumbing and built the gas lines and Cheston worked around them.

38654904087_large.jpg

38654904089_large.jpg

38654904090_large.jpg

Tons of storage

38654904091_large.jpg

RockChucker

have you had your 4 way yet? when is the final inspection? Just kidding. it is looking really cool though. definitely a camper fit for a king.

Bart

Looks awesome Stan. Both you and Cheston do great work. Can't believe it's coming together that fast, but I guess there is a timeline here.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
In goes the internal Trim

38654904094_large.jpg

I made an aluminum counter top

38654904092_large.jpg

In goes the Fridge.....That was a pain!!!! had to take off the door of thecamper and we were still1/8 an inch off. had to take the whole fridge apart. .

38654904093_large.jpg

38654904096_large.jpg

THe throne room.

38654904095_large.jpg

On the outside I waterproofed the roof and started on the gas can carriers.

38654904097_large.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Very impressive build. What is the plan with this camper i.e where do you plan to take it? Someone brought up the vulnerability of the jacks off-road such as in the trees, the gas mounting would be even more vulnerable no?

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Very impressive build. What is the plan with this camper i.e where do you plan to take it? Someone brought up the vulnerability of the jacks off-road such as in the trees, the gas mounting would be even more vulnerable no?
Jacks are removable and the gas cans would only stick out the same distance as the jack mounts. The mirrors on the truck stick out the farthest. This truck will not see an serious wheeling, that is what the T-Rex is for. We will take it off road but the Rubicon, Prittchet, Hells revenge, and the Snakes are out of the question.:rofl:

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Spare fuel cans and holders? Dude, real glampers toss in an aux tank. ;)

Lookin good!

Good point. Tool boxes are going in on the underside and so there is not much room for spare tanks. Plus with fuel cans I can carry a variety for truck , generator, other peoples...etc...

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
I thought the camper was cool already.... But an anti-gravIty bathroom with the lieu mounted on the wall to save space........ AWESOME!!!!!!! Are you putting in those sweet NASA style, vertical sleeping bags fir you and Shawnette, except mount them on the ceiling?!?! :-D hehehe
The camper is coming out really awesome brother!! I can't wait to see it in a few weeks!!

LT.

I have now spoken to Stan, Corey, and Cheston about the build. I am in awe of how fast and how well it has turned out. GREAT work y'all! Could this be the way for us to get out camping quarters, trailer, and rig to the wheeling spot? Most of us have out own unique ways of getting all three there but, this maybe the best option yet. Easy to remove from the rig, stable, secure, weather resistant, the whole works. I am going to check it out more in person at EJS. If it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures I hope y'all would be willing to build me one as well. A nasty side effect of being successful.

LT.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Here is the prep for the stain

38654904098_large.jpg

38654904099_large.jpg

38654904100_large.jpg

Stain on and ready for urithaine.

38654904101_large.jpg

Stereo box complete

38654904103_large.jpg

More Fuel can holders

38654904102_large.jpg

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
The stain looks great!!! Its getting close now!

Rob............

I really do think this is what we need to do for you. Its like that trailer we looked at in Moab but not 70,000 dollars! And you already have the perfect trailer for it.

Im ALL for helping build you one

LT.

Rob............

I really do think this is what we need to do for you. Its like that trailer we looked at in Moab but not 70,000 dollars! And you already have the perfect trailer for it.

Im ALL for helping build you one

Helping me! No, no, no, I don't want to screw it up. I am thinking hiring you to do it. I will still want it to be removable so I can haul the buggy to the trail head and not have to pack up camp.

LT.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
That would be no problem I would love to help. First stop, Cory's shop .

Yeah Cheston is right on, Look at how much those other guys charge. Before I started this build I priced just the box. First off no one can make a 6 foot overhange with aluminum. They all said 4 feet was the max. So we went with steel. They also priced the box way high. For example I got quotes from all over the country and the cheapest one was an outfit in Kentucky that would charge $6800 just for the box, no windows, no interior, and not jacks to get the box off the truck, this was a permanent mount. The quotes ranged from $6800 to $12,000.
NOW WAY I say! So ta dah..... we build our own. So far 4 weekends, and evenings, some great friends ( thanks Cory and Cheston), and a wife who can paint, cut steel, insulate, etc... and we have a camper for less than $5500. That is cheaper than just the box, and cheaper than a good used camper.

I say go for it! It has been fun.