Central Utah Upcoming trip: San Rafael Swell this weekend; Jan 11-12

sixstringsteve

Im going to the san Rafael swell this upcoming weekend.

This is an easy trail that any stock 4x4 with good tires for the snow can handle. We most likely will not even need 4 lo. So your tow rig could handle this trail no problem.

For those who don't know the area, we will be visiting the area south of castle dale and west of goblin valley. There are lots of old mines to explore. This is the area where butch Cassidy hid out for a while. if you've never been, you owe it to yourself to check the area out. I expect there to be 3-6" of snow on the trails.

Here's the plan:

Jan 11th (Friday night)
- meet at Cabelas at 6 PM. Leave for the swell.
- 8:30 arrive at camp (campsite TBD, depending on which areas you want to explore)

Jan 12th (Saturday)
- 9 AM hit the trail
- noon lunch & shooting
- 6 PM head home

Committed:
sixstringsteve
Frieed

On the fence:
tacomann99
193kyle
cruiseroutfit

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm open to explore whichever part of it you'd like. Pick your favorite two things to see.

- slot canyon hike (little wildhorse)
- scenic vistas/overlooks (Wedge overlook - similar to Grand Canyon and Island in the Sky, but on a smaller level)
- old mine sites
- rock art panels
- some basic 4-lo action (no sliders or skids required)
- a hike to the top of a slot canyon (swasey's leap)

193kyle

I'm open to explore whichever part of it you'd like. Pick your favorite two things to see.

- slot canyon hike (little wildhorse)
- scenic vistas/overlooks (Wedge overlook - similar to Grand Canyon and Island in the Sky, but on a smaller level)
- old mine sites
- rock art panels
- some basic 4-lo action (no sliders or skids required)
- a hike to the top of a slot canyon (swasey's leap)

Thats my vote

sixstringsteve

I've got the same little buddy heater you can use Kyle. I mean... Bradon, you have to come to deliver Kyle's heater.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Booo I really would like to go to this, but I have to hold onto my vacation days. Sounds like a fun trip

sixstringsteve

Yes, I'm dangerously low on expo points, despite having a rtt and a snorkel. I'm still in the negative. If you were to come, I would definitely be in the positive again.

Last edited: