Central Utah Upcoming trip: San Rafael Swell this weekend; Jan 11-12

blznnp

Even though it's going to be so cold, wish I could really make it, I will be thinking of you guys as I am ice fishing an shooting some guns an replacing brake pads, oh an also when sitting in my house at 70*

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Kyle,

I'll be hiding/sleeping in my rig, Steve is face to the stars/snow in his bivi, what are your plans?
Personally, I'm really looking forward to playing in some fresh snow :D

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My philosophy on this trip is: It's just the one night. If it gets too uncomfortable or even dangerously cold, climb into the vehicle and run the heater and we bail in the AM or continue on with a little sleep deprivation.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We got a fair amount of snow down this way, the downside it that it's quite windy. Hopefully that wind goes away for you guys!

sixstringsteve

I got a ton of wind and no snow last night at my place. I agree, I hope the wind doesn't act up. I'll be sure to bring my earplugs.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
We got a fair amount of snow down this way, the downside it that it's quite windy. Hopefully that wind goes away for you guys!

I just love a nice horizontal campfire.. NOT
Been there/ done that at about 14*. don't want to try again with it 20* colder

sixstringsteve

I'll be using the bivy. I may have the RTT with me, but I have no intentions of using it, especially if there are going to be strong winds.

I set up my new bivy, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag last night in the middle of the storm to get a feel for what it was going to be like camping with it. While it was a relatively warm 27* outside, I was toasty within 2 min. I fell asleep almost immediately. I definitely could have spent the night out there comfortably. It's a pain to get in and out of and keep your boots from filling up with snow, so I'll have to work on that, but once I'm in there it's awesome. I think I'm really going to like this bivy.

sixstringsteve

It looks like it'll be a little breezy tonight, but nothing as bad as last night.

Friday Night

Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Low of 1F with a windchill as low as -8F. Winds from the WNW at 5 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 30%.

Saturday

Partly cloudy. High of 12F with a windchill as low as -11F. Winds from the West at 5 to 10 mph.