What books are you reading (or listening to?)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I finished "All the Shahs Men" yesterday. It's about Iran from about 1920-1959 when the Brits were pillaging the oil there and the steps they took to keep that from changing. It also goes into the CIAs work to overthrough the prime minister and give control back to the shah and the wests puppets.

According to the book that coup, operation ajax, is what led to the intense hatred the Iranians have of the west. The new puppets were horribly oppressive and they pissed the people off. That all led to the Iranian revolution in '79.

I need to find something to read on the Iranian revolution.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That’s probably the biggest thing I miss about driving truck. The audiobooks.

It does make time fly.

I love history related books but I’m generally not good at listening to them as I usually like to make notes, highlight things, reference maps, etc. In the car, some good fiction storytelling wins and the times passes by. We did rock a ton of polar explorer historical audiobooks in Greenland, pleeeeeeennty of time to listen :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm waiting on #4 through the library. It's like 3 weeks out along with the other books I'm in line for unfortunately.

I’ve got a hardback you can borrow. No sweating, smoking, licking or spilling on it... it’s signed :D

And #4 is good 😎. Really kicked me into high gear for #5 which I’m 1.5hrs completing.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Cool. I got an iPad over the summer and have been doing a bunch of ebooks.

Are you planning to be at the museum this week at all? That's easy access for me and work but I can come wherever. I'll holler at you tomorrow.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

Are you planning to be at the museum this week at all? That's easy access for me and work but I can come wherever. I'll holler at you tomorrow.

No plans yet but I can bring it to work in Murray.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

And just to confirm, you need The Devils Hand?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
And just to confirm, you need The Devils Hand?
Yeah looks like its a 6 week wait for "The Devils Hand." I could swing by today during my lunch (11-12ish) if you see this before you head in.

I've seriously cut back my youtube-ing at work and have replaced that time with school and reading. The semester is over (FINALLY) so I've got time to kill.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yeah looks like its a 6 week wait for "The Devils Hand." I could swing by today during my lunch (11-12ish) if you see this before you head in.

I've seriously cut back my youtube-ing at work and have replaced that time with school and reading. The semester is over (FINALLY) so I've got time to kill.

Done, I'll bring it to work today.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've read a fair amount over the holidays and while I have school to deal with.

Jack Carr, finished until the next one comes out.
-The Devils Hand
-Only the Dead
-In the Blood

Started King Rat by James Clavell. Wasn't really in to it.
Jumped into "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown next and like it a lot.

"Shogun" popped up next but I was a little apprehensive because of King Rat but I started it and really enjoyed it. It was a real long book and it kind of felt like it. If that makes sense.

From there I started "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" by John le Carre which I just finished. I don't know. It was fine but it seemed a little slow after binging the Jack Carr books. I had two more le Carre books teed up but decided to return them too and look for something else. I'm sure I'll go digging back through these threads to find another good lead. (I'm also sure I broke Stephens heart saying what I did about le Carre.) School started back up yesterday but I'm only take two credits rather than the seven I had last semester, so I'll have time to read.

Also, a plug for the Libby app on my iPad. Other than "the devils hand" I borrowed from Kurt, all of the books have come from there for free.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Started King Rat by James Clavell. Wasn't really in to it.
"King Rat" is a hard book. I really enjoyed it, but I can see how others wouldn't.

"Shogun" popped up next but I was a little apprehensive because of King Rat but I started it and really enjoyed it. It was a real long book and it kind of felt like it. If that makes sense.
"Shogun" is one of my all time favorite books. One of the few I read cover to cover in "one" sitting, I just couldn't put it down. I also have a first edition of it :D:
IMG_6834.jpg
If you have the time, check out the 1980 Shogun miniseries with Richard Chamberlain, absolutely fantastic!

From there I started "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" by John le Carre which I just finished. I don't know. It was fine but it seemed a little slow after binging the Jack Carr books. I had two more le Carre books teed up but decided to return them too and look for something else. I'm sure I'll go digging back through these threads to find another good lead. (I'm also sure I broke Stephens heart saying what I did about le Carre.)
le Carre's spy books are the antithesis of a thriller. They are slow, methodical, twisting stories with very little action and lots, and lots of talking and thinking. And for that reason, I love them. I love that he rewards the reader who really paid attention and could keep track of all the different threads for when the mystery is revealed in the end. But, he's not for everyone, so while you broke my heart, I understand.

Westernhunter

Some recent road trips gave me the opportunity to catch up on fiction reading. About to wrap up Jack Carr’s book #5
I like Jack but man it reads like an infomercial for whatever tactical gear he is pushing. For example, The blade of the Viking titanium Maxfield tomahawk cut through his scull like a warm knife through butter. Made up but you know what I mean.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
"King Rat" is a hard book. I really enjoyed it, but I can see how others wouldn't.

"Shogun" is one of my all time favorite books. One of the few I read cover to cover in "one" sitting, I just couldn't put it down. I also have a first edition of it :D:
View attachment 168636
If you have the time, check out the 1980 Shogun miniseries with Richard Chamberlain, absolutely fantastic!

le Carre's spy books are the antithesis of a thriller. They are slow, methodical, twisting stories with very little action and lots, and lots of talking and thinking. And for that reason, I love them. I love that he rewards the reader who really paid attention and could keep track of all the different threads for when the mystery is revealed in the end. But, he's not for everyone, so while you broke my heart, I understand.
The library doesn’t have any other of the clavell books. I was going to check out tai-pan. The app gives stats and when I finished shogun it said it took me 21 hours. I don’t know if that means I read slow or not but it took a solid week. I read that book from Kurt in an afternoon/evening.

Oh, fx is doing a run of shogun that’s supposed to start in the next few weeks. (edit: Feb27) I’ll see if I can find that other one but that’s kind of old. I don’t usually watch stuff in black and white. 🙄

My wife has a bunch of OG books. I got pissed when she asked for one that was $60 and when it showed up it was like 3”x2”. I rolled my eyes SO hard at that one and call it the stamp book.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I like Jack but man it reads like an infomercial for whatever tactical gear he is pushing. For example, The blade of the Viking titanium Maxfield tomahawk cut through his scull like a warm knife through butter. Made up but you know what I mean.
Kurt is besties with “Jack”. (Not the authors real name.) I heard Cruiser Outfitters is going to get one of those in book ads here real soon.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
The library doesn’t have any other of the clavell books. I was going to check out tai-pan.
I really liked "Tai-Pan" and "Nobel House".
Oh, fx is doing a run of shogun that’s supposed to start in the next few weeks. I’ll see if I can find that other one but that’s kind of old. I don’t usually watch stuff in black and white. 🙄
Yeah, Hulu|FX is doing a new Shogun miniseries. The trailers don't look that great to me, but who knows, it could be good. Certainly looks like its being made for modern audiences with lots of action, girls boss fight scenes, and super dark lighting. Meh. The 1980 version is a perfect adaptation of the book owing largely to James Clavell helping write the screenplay.
My wife has a bunch of OG books. I got pissed when she asked for one that was $60 and when it showed up it was like 3”x2”. I rolled my eyes SO hard at that one and call it the stamp book.
I'm not a collector of first editions, its just something that I enjoy finding at thrift stores. I've never paid more than $20 for any of them, and one or two were gifts. Helps that none of them are really sought after, except maybe my "Gone With the Wind"? But its in pretty rough shape, so even that's not really very collectable.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Just finished Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art by James Nestor. It was very interesting to me the research and experiement he put himself through to write the book. I will be implementing some of the breathing techniques into my daily life to see if I can realize some of the health benefits and endurance gains he wrote about.

I just started ENDURANCE, Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing (I think it was reccomended somewhere in this thread). I am only in Chapter 3, but damn! What an adventure so far!

Last edited: