General Tech What did you work on Today?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
In the middle of a big yard remodel so that my family has somewhere to hang out other than our small home during this weird time of self distancing...

My 40y/o+ sprinkler system (I'm assuming it's age) decided to blow two of three drains... Anyone know how long ago these brass drains would've been more commonly used? The offending little bastard:
Sprinkler drain.jpeg

Top & middle (underneath) lines blew their drains; fun. The bottom line goes to a hose spigot... I'll replace it's drain while i'm in here.

Sprinkler lines.jpeg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Wait a minute....:handlebars:

YOU HAVE A YOUTUBE CHANNEL? :oops: :oops: :oops:

I am not a big Youtube/TV person, but that is probably something I would enjoy watching!

I do. It's nothing major, just some projects that I've worked on. I've only had it a few years and don't have many subscribers but I enjoy putting the videos together.

It started out when I bought my new lathe and mill and some people on a forum I belong to wanted to see a review of them. My son put together a YouTube channel and told me that would be the best way to post a video review.

That was it for a while and then I started filming some projects and various work that came into my shop as a way to share information and things I've learned over the several decades of wrenching.

Mike

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Then we graded... By "we" I mean @Chocflip201....

Grading.jpeg
Grading-1.jpeg
Grading done.jpeg

Then spread gravel in the back
Gravel - Back.jpeg
Gravel - back-1.jpeg

Next day.... Sod.
Sod install-1.jpeg
Sod Finished.jpeg

Still have a lot to do... Back where the coop was I've everything to build a patio with flagstone that I've had taking up room for 3yrs, fire pit, some sort of pergola... In the back of the shed off the garage I'll have 6 5x3' above ground planters... I've got a big playset to assemble for the kids. Neighbor has some maples trees for me to dig up and transplant.. I'm going to build a new coop into the shed, with an ajacent chicken run along the back of the shed; should be pretty slick. I'll be able to snag eggs without having to trudge through the muddy/sh!t muck of that old nasty coop.

Attachments

• Sod install.jpeg
    Sod install.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 7

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor

View attachment 126781
View attachment 126782
View attachment 126783

View attachment 126784
View attachment 126785

Next day.... Sod.
View attachment 126787
View attachment 126788

Still have a lot to do... Back where the coop was I've everything to build a patio with flagstone that I've had taking up room for 3yrs, fire pit, some sort of pergola... In the back of the shed off the garage I'll have 6 5x3' above ground planters... I've got a big playset to assemble for the kids. Neighbor has some maples trees for me to dig up and transplant.. I'm going to build a new coop into the shed, with an ajacent chicken run along the back of the shed; should be pretty slick. I'll be able to snag eggs without having to trudge through the muddy/sh!t muck of that old nasty coop.

That's come a long way. Very nicely done.

My grandparents who lived in Rock Springs, WY had a back yard that looked very similar with the block garage and wood fence. My grandfather was a retired welder and mechanic from the coal mines and had a cinder block garage in the back yard where he worked on things. When I was young I used to love going up there for nothing else than to be able to go into my grandfather's workshop. Everything was so neat and tidy. I loved it.

Hell it was Rock Springs so there had to be something to get me excited to go....:rofl:

Mike

Tonkaman

View attachment 126781
View attachment 126782
View attachment 126783

View attachment 126784
View attachment 126785

Next day.... Sod.
View attachment 126787
View attachment 126788

Wow that looks great! All I see is countless hours of hard work

Tonkaman

I do. It's nothing major, just some projects that I've worked on. I've only had it a few years and don't have many subscribers but I enjoy putting the videos together.

It started out when I bought my new lathe and mill and some people on a forum I belong to wanted to see a review of them. My son put together a YouTube channel and told me that would be the best way to post a video review.

That was it for a while and then I started filming some projects and various work that came into my shop as a way to share information and things I've learned over the several decades of wrenching.

Mike
I really like watching your videos! My favorite thing about your videos and write ups are the details. Not only are you very meticulous, but you take the time to explain why your doing things a certain way. I really like to learn by watching and most often I didn’t even know to ask the questions your answering.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I really like watching your videos! My favorite thing about your videos and write ups are the details. Not only are you very meticulous, but you take the time to explain why your doing things a certain way. I really like to learn by watching and most often I didn’t even know to ask the questions your answering.

Thank you. I appreciate the comments and glad you like the videos.

It's a mixed bag on trying to give people what they want. I get comments stating I talk too much and need to just show the work and many others say they like the detailed explanations. For me, I just like making the videos and hope I am able to show people how to do various projects or work and if someone doesn't like my content I guess they don't have to watch. Maybe that's why I don't have many subscribers. :rofl:

Personally when I watch videos I like seeing the projects but I also like the reasoning behind the decisions as well as the tools and equipment people are using in their shops so it's all encompassing for me.

Mike

Tonkaman

I’ve been trying to teach myself how to MiG weld. I’ve spent a few hours out in the shop putting beads down, trying out different settings and listening to the good/bad differences.

Since my gigantic bottle was too big for my cart I decided to try tackling my first ever fabrication project. Here is what I started with:FED7F222-5CE9-43F5-937C-58658F0DE316.jpeg

My little cart had this angle iron on the back for what must have been a little bottle. Since I’m adding a Super heavy bottle, extra casters were a necessity. Unfortunately nothing was level or square so I had to use some adjustable casters, and bend the angle iron as level as possible.
3E188D77-8404-45F3-8D28-666FB4D5A095.jpeg

next I added 1” square tubes, bent a strap to hold the tank, notched the straps so there are no tools necessary to remove the tank. A521F458-4897-4662-9C4A-64A24EF2EC33.jpegA61F7DCA-2073-44A1-BB2A-5ED481F7BE49.jpegB008A58B-19AC-4EA8-ADEB-4A8FF821F675.jpegB6DC69A7-4CB9-4248-9741-1849208EE47C.jpegF77C6767-2059-4069-B17B-A0E88A6EDB57.jpeg

I didn’t have any expanded metal so I just used some scrap wood as the tank base. After some primer and paint, I can now move the welder and tank around the shop easily.
880C55D6-3BC7-43F0-BEBF-543D66EC1ECE.jpeg26AD0EBF-13CA-491B-A20A-56B8D782621C.jpeg

Troop92

Previous owners made some plain stupid decisions with the basement in our house. Narrow halls, small doorways everywhere. At the bottom of the stairs was a small landing, with doorways left and right that were both 33" wide. TIGHT.

20200404_160710.jpg

Tackled one side this evening, opened it up to nearly 55". Replaced the header with a wider one. Transformative.

20200426_002927.jpg

Looking into the new space from the hallway (through the still-small doorway opposite), framed out a bedroom (left), utility/storage (straight ahead), and laundry (right).

20200426_003551.jpg

Will finish off framing and hang drywall next weekend, hopefully. Planning to do the same to the other side as well.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve been trying to teach myself how to MiG weld. I’ve spent a few hours out in the shop putting beads down, trying out different settings and listening to the good/bad differences.

Since my gigantic bottle was too big for my cart I decided to try tackling my first ever fabrication project. Here is what I started with:View attachment 126950

My little cart had this angle iron on the back for what must have been a little bottle. Since I’m adding a Super heavy bottle, extra casters were a necessity. Unfortunately nothing was level or square so I had to use some adjustable casters, and bend the angle iron as level as possible.
View attachment 126949

next I added 1” square tubes, bent a strap to hold the tank, notched the straps so there are no tools necessary to remove the tank. View attachment 126955View attachment 126951View attachment 126952View attachment 126953View attachment 126954

I didn’t have any expanded metal so I just used some scrap wood as the tank base. After some primer and paint, I can now move the welder and tank around the shop easily.
View attachment 126956View attachment 126957
I like that bottle retention idea.