General Tech What did you work on Today?

Gawynz

So I think I posted about this last year, but if not... For the past ~10yrs my family has had a tradition of "make a gift". Each Christmas we draw names out of a hat for who we will make a gift for next year; honestly this is one of my favorite parts of the holiday festivities. This year I have my brother in law who is a bourbon fan and this is what I put together the last couple afternoons, the cage is welded solid around the bottle, even made him a toothbrush handled shank/escape saw to go with it haha. Across the bar on top I'll hang a "Jail/prisoner ID/something" wood burned sign.

20211201_185223.jpg

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Threw some legs on my shop
stove project. The firebox needs to be a minimum of 18” off the concrete. I made the legs 15” and the compartment between the legs and firebox is 5.5”, so I exceeded to spec a little. It seems to be a good height to load wood and also heat something on top if I ever care to do so. That lower compartment will get a hinged door to heat bearings or bake cookies, ya just never know. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 4F2CC7EA-E505-425E-8E0A-0534E74E1177.jpeg
    4F2CC7EA-E505-425E-8E0A-0534E74E1177.jpeg
    409.8 KB · Views: 35

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Threw some legs on my shop
stove project. The firebox needs to be a minimum of 18” off the concrete. I made the legs 15” and the compartment between the legs and firebox is 5.5”, so I exceeded to spec a little. It seems to be a good height to load wood and also heat something on top if I ever care to do so. That lower compartment will get a hinged door to heat bearings or bake cookies, ya just never know. 🤷‍♂️
You should integrate a heat exchanger into the chimney like @muleskinner did. https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/heating-a-cold-shop.118079/page-2#post-1155245

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Still picking away at the shop stove project. Repurposed some of the decorative cast surround I removed from the house. No choice but to bring two halves together and will use those through-bolts for some kind of handle so it all appears somewhat intentional. Still gotta grind the upper edge to correspond to the contour of the casting above and cap the ends. After that, it’s just minor details. Probably should focus on making it finctional. 🤷‍♂️😂

Attachments

• 1ED4C7CC-ABD1-45D2-9999-AC5534C22DEB.jpeg
    1ED4C7CC-ABD1-45D2-9999-AC5534C22DEB.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 28
  • C3BC41EC-16D0-4671-9044-B0BD7CE2233A.jpeg
    C3BC41EC-16D0-4671-9044-B0BD7CE2233A.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 28

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Still picking away at the shop stove project. Repurposed some of the decorative cast surround I removed from the house. No choice but to bring two halves together and will use those through-bolts for some kind of handle so it all appears somewhat intentional. Still gotta grind the upper edge to correspond to the contour of the casting above and cap the ends. After that, it’s just minor details. Probably should focus on making it finctional. 🤷‍♂️😂
Mmmmm burrito box.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Been wanting a bigger, better vise for a while. I downloaded the 16" Fireball Vise plans and have finally got started on it. Plate and tube is cut. Final pieces will be the jaw support blocks (still deciding on which jaws to use and configuration, possibly offset). I also need to buy some Acme thread, nuts and bearings.

20211204_151929.jpg

Finished will look something like this:

FB Vise.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Been wanting a bigger, better vise for a while. I downloaded the 16" Fireball Vise plans and have finally got started on it. Plate and tube is cut. Final pieces will be the jaw support blocks (still deciding on which jaws to use and configuration, possibly offset). I also need to buy some Acme thread, nuts and bearings.

View attachment 143533

Finished will look something like this:

View attachment 143534
Very interested in this. I've only recently found his YT channel and I didn't realize I needed a vice like this.
You should make a vice build thread ;)

NYCEGUY01

Lots of driving and picking up parts today... Started in Willard, Went to West Santaquin for another Parts rig. Then to the other side completely of town for an old school Hobrect bumper that needs some work.. Then down to 1 exit past Mona for a transfer case that turned out to be NOTHING like the seller said..lol
I mean 203 .. 205... 27 spline.. 32 spline.. Passenger drop... Drivers drop.... Whats the difference right ? lol

Then back to west Mona for a transmission. Then hit Way out west in SLC on the way home for a transfer case that WAS EXACTLY what the seller said it was...lol

So... The 78 Stepside now officially has a NV4500 for it and a Lomax NP205 getting ready to install...
Now just have to decide if Im gonna stay old school with a Small block Chevy or use the 5.3 LS I have on a stand just itching to get used...

One day Im gonna have to actually work on this thing... So far it seems like Im only good at driving and buying stuff...lol