General Tech What did you work on Today?

JeeperG

Needs to light it up a bit and break in those rear tires (maybe that could create paint damage which wouldn't be good on a rig of this quality)
We already got plenty of paint damages, I still need to run it through the gears, gear vendor, brakes to verify everything is good. Little more time.

Also it doesn't have any of the jewelry on yet.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Since this is all I "work on" she's up and running but not right, have had nothing but issues with the Holley sniper. I bought the thing like 8 years ago, no warranty, I think I might just cut my loss and order the sniper 2 since we're already wired and hope that fixes the issue. The AFR has given us nothing but a reading of 35.6 since our first fire up and two different 02's.

Maybe a wiring issue in the O2 circuit? Bad/insufficient grounds?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
‘Bout a month ago. Handful of reasons, but I think I’ll be happier with it than the JT. I loved my H3 I had. And the 6.0 V8 is mo’ bettah.

It’s an ‘07 with 95k miles. In good shape and runs great. I think it will be a great rig for my needs.

Hum boys gotta Hum! 😅
I like it.
I've got some wheels that aren't ugly with your name on them if you like.

JeeperG

Just to verify I don't have two bad 02s we went over to my uncle's Studebaker that also has a sniper on it, ended up just taking his 02 to my truck, same reading of 35.6 afr. 🫤. Gotta be a bad driver in my sniper.
1000005806.jpg
We also noticed for whatever reason they mounted his 02 way past the H pipe, it should be 6-8" from the collector flange but his still runs fine.
1000005815.jpg

STAG

On my grind
Welded on those 1.25” squares with the weld-bungs I added in them last week.

Obviously the hitch isn’t the greatest spot to add an on-board airtank and brackets but the H2 has limited space under the body compared to the JT with the spare tire gone.

0C96AC47-3B0E-4859-89AE-C9C8F0B540D5.jpeg
F38BDDC7-595A-4E3F-AA49-3E71E873749F.jpeg
Put 2 coats of POR15 on the area after it cooled.
84CC1C4E-6B8E-4D8F-B614-A22F53D6BBA2.jpeg

The_Lobbster

Added a hood to the arc gouging room at MTECH’s Lehi campus. This room only had a 14” exhaust at the ceiling, and opposite end of the room where the students work. Built this hood by hand, teaching my two apprentices. It’s not perfect, but we don’t have access to a full sheet metal shop, so we did our best!

IMG_2748.jpeg

IMG_2750.jpeg

IMG_2771.jpeg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Getting my cruiser ready for Cruise Moab next week, I spent all day yesterday working on projects.

#1 was replacing my slightly bent rear lower control arms with new reinforced Dobinson arms. You can see the bend clearly when placed on top of the new one.

IMG_7811.jpeg

Then a couple of friends came over and helped me diagnos my intermittent cylinder 3 misfire. We found cylinder 3 has low compression. During a leak down test all the air was coming through the intake. With a bore scope camera we could see one of the intake valves isn't closing completely and looks different than the other one. Best case is a valve adjustment, worst case is rebuilding the head...again. I had it done in May of 2020 and I'm not happy to have to deal with head issues again after only 30k miles or so.

Knowing the cause of my rough running, I moved forward with removing my mangled sliders and temp fixing my exhaust.

On the Rubicon last year, I reshaped the slider under the passenger side, pushing it into the cats and pushing the cats into the body and ripping the pipe out of the front of the muffler.

I fought the siezed bolts I couldn't get my impact on and ended up twisting one until it broke under extreme leverage.

After weaving a tapastry of profanity that is still hovering over the Great Salt Lake, I dropped the passenger side slider.

Next to the new one that will go on someday.
IMG_7817.jpeg

The old slider is pretty beat!
IMG_7818.jpeg

The offending hole in the muffler.
IMG_7819.jpeg

I did what I could to clean the front so I could bugger weld it. The bigger the glob the better the job, right?

Laying on my back under the truck I fought to get the welder in a spot to weld it up, but ultimately decided to just bugger weld it and worry about a better fix later when I replace the whole exhaust.

IMG_7822.jpegIMG_7824.jpeg

Don't judge me by my lack of welding ability. I suck at lots of things, welding just happens to be one of them...😁

After the welding dabacle, I removed the driver side slider, put my tools away, cleaned the shop and called it a day.

Tomorrow I'll call around to find a shop I trust to work on the valves and head if needed. I'll text @zmotorsports too and see how far out Mike is on projects. I'm not excited about possibly having the head rebuilt again so soon.

STAG

On my grind
Added my runningboard lights I took off the gladiator. This time I wired them up with their blinker function too. I didn’t on the Gladiator because they blinked out-of-sync with the truck blinker, but on the H2 they sync up correctly so I did it.
6A30FB75-FD21-48E1-8921-DD7B80218CF9.jpeg

I also added some “ditch lights”. They look a little goofy up there but this isn’t their permanent mounting spot. I know they look weird but I’ve had them lying around so I figured use them.

They are wired up to be able to turn each side on individually.

B4D05549-6BCB-49CB-9EEB-2E54258448BE.jpeg
A4FF2F31-E4AF-4592-A25C-ACF667B34F64.jpeg