General Tech What did you work on Today?

DAA

No pics. NO JOY.

A brass T fitting for my onboard air, way, way, way up under my dash (WTH was I thinking...) cracked. No possible reason for it. But I had a giant air leak and that's where I finally traced it down to. Stupid Chicomm brass T, just, cracked. Couldn't handle all that 125psi punishment I suppose :rolleyes:.

Huge PITA getting it out of where I had it. HUGE PITA. Put it back where it will be easily reachable when it never has a problem again.

In the process of getting pissed off and just ripping the old air lines out from under the dash, apparently, I unseated some inputs for my amplifier. Only the left speakers working. No sub. The amp is just way too big for where I have it mounted under the steering column. It's a crush fit. And to get it installed in the first place I had to get pretty contorted and employ some Roadkill level zip tie mastery to actually hold the amp in place.

Cutting the zip ties to drop it out wasn't too big a deal. Using spark plug wire style zip tie loom to keep the inputs from pulling out again, no big deal.

But getting that thing back where it lives again...

I can't do the contort part anymore. Getting this thing back in is kicking my ASS! I know exactly what needs to be done. But getting my body and arms and hands all in the right spots is way, way harder than the last time. And it was pretty stupid hard the last time.

Eff it. I'll finish dealing with it in the morning. I need some ibuprofen.

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
No pics. NO JOY.

A brass T fitting for my onboard air, way, way, way up under my dash (WTH was I thinking...) cracked. No possible reason for it. But I had a giant air leak and that's where I finally traced it down to. Stupid Chicomm brass T, just, cracked. Couldn't handle all that 125psi punishment I suppose :rolleyes:.

Huge PITA getting it out of where I had it. HUGE PITA. Put it back where it will be easily reachable when it never has a problem again.

In the process of getting pissed off and just ripping the old air lines out from under the dash, apparently, I unseated some inputs for my amplifier. Only the left speakers working. No sub. The amp is just way too big for where I have it mounted under the steering column. It's a crush fit. And to get it installed in the first place I had to get pretty contorted and employ some Roadkill level zip tie mastery to actually hold the amp in place.

Cutting the zip ties to drop it out wasn't too big a deal. Using spark plug wire style zip tie loom to keep the inputs from pulling out again, no big deal.

But getting that thing back where it lives again...

I can't do the contort part anymore. Getting this thing back in is kicking my ASS! I know exactly what needs to be done. But getting my body and arms and hands all in the right spots is way, way harder than the last time. And it was pretty stupid hard the last time.

Eff it. I'll finish dealing with it in the morning. I need some ibuprofen.

- DAA

I recruit one of the @ebryson or @lbryson folks to do things like that. I volunteer Eric to come and assist you

Reactions: DAA

JeeperG

Got the welting installed on the fenders, running boards and grille, everything lined up and tightened down. Doors will shut and latch.
1000004599.jpg
Tightened the bed down and installed the electronic park brake and rear cables. Leaving the other woods out for access.
1000004597.jpg

1000004598.jpg
Filler neck on
1000004603.jpg
Door mirrors installed
1000004594.jpg
Panel bonded a box to the roof to be able to mount a dome light for center support on the headliner, going to one piece of leather that thing. Also some door panel stuff in the works.
1000004592.jpg
Hood latch and cable items installed. Waiting to put all the jewelry on.
1000004605.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My Jeep has sat in my garage since having electrical issues on the trail in Moab… October ‘22. My wife pushed on the panel the battery was behind with her feet and something shorted and it died. I tried everything to get it to start that day and couldn’t so it got pushed into the garage and left there. I got it to turn over today by jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver but wasn’t getting any fuel. So I chased down a few little fuel issues, replaced the filter and bam, she started up.
IMG_2547.jpeg
I drove around with my kids for a while and then 6 of the neighbor kids took turns too. I’m so happy it’s running but I still can’t find why it won’t start with the key. The starter relay is clicking but nothing to the starter. I guess maybe the solenoid is just bad?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My Jeep has sat in my garage since having electrical issues on the trail in Moab… October ‘22. My wife pushed on the panel the battery was behind with her feet and something shorted and it died. I tried everything to get it to start that day and couldn’t so it got pushed into the garage and left there. I got it to turn over today by jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver but wasn’t getting any fuel. So I chased down a few little fuel issues, replaced the filter and bam, she started up.
View attachment 168101
I drove around with my kids for a while and then 6 of the neighbor kids took turns too. I’m so happy it’s running but I still can’t find why it won’t start with the key. The starter relay is clicking but nothing to the starter. I guess maybe the solenoid is just bad?
You can try swapping the solenoids around in the fuse box. Could be a bad cable, too.

I’m super glad you finally got it running again, but now it’s gonna snow for sure.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I've been away for a bit but thought I'd show a couple of small shop projects that I have been able to complete as they have been on my "want to do" list for quite some time now.

I was able to knock two items off of my "want to do" list for the shop.

The first one was a shelf to hold my Mapp gas tanks. One with the torch on it and the other, a spare bottle. I have had this on the shelf over the east workbench along with all my other chemicals, but it seems when I reach for it the vast majority of the time I end up knocking other things over as my arms aren't long enough to raise it high enough. I thought I'd build a little shelf and place it at the end of the south workbench as it seems I am usually at the vise or on the long south workbench when I need it, so it will be within easy reach.

I started by cutting a 9" X 14" piece of 16-gauge P&O from a half sheet of stock. I then ran a DA over it slightly after giving it a wipe with acetone.
mapp1.jpg

I then began the layout. Marking mounting screw holes, bend lines and centering the tanks for the upper holes.
mapp2.jpg

Using a 3" hole saw I cut out the two openings.
mapp3.jpg

After a thorough deburring, I test fit the bottles.
mapp4.jpg

I really have enjoyed having the DiAcro pan brake in the shop the last few years. It's not something that gets used everyday, but when it is needed I sure am glad to have it. Makes nice bends and consistently.
mapp5.jpg

mapp6.jpg

Test fit of the bottles on the fab table before hanging.
mapp8.jpg

Mounted to the wall just behind the workbench within easy reach.
mapp9.jpg

That project has been on my list for a couple of years and is now marked off as completed.

Thanks for looking.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Moving onto the next "want to do" project, although this one has been on my list since I was in the old shop, so over 8 years now I've wanted to build this but just haven't made the time. I just keep adding other things to the list and this one keeps getting bumped down in priority. Well, as I was looking at my list last night I chose two tasks that I figured I could knock out in one evening.

I have wanted to build a push block for my vertical bandsaw but I remember seeing something like this many years ago and cannot remember for the life of me who manufactured it. Don't quote me but I think it was a DoAll accessory for their vertical bandsaw and had to go off memory as I couldn't even find a picture online. I do remember it having two handles and the center was angled outward slightly, with notches in which the material could nest into while pushing around the saw's table.

I began with a length of aluminum I grabbed from my stock drawer, gave it a wipe with acetone and ran a DA over it.
guide1.jpg

Began the layout and drilled a 3/8" hole just offset enough in the middle to create a radius at the bottom of the V.
guide2.jpg

I dug through my bolt assortment and found a couple of 3/8"-16 flathead countersunk fasteners that screamed for this project. I drilled and countersunk the holes so they would be well below the parent material.
guide3.jpg

Next I cut the V out of the material and knocked the burrs off the edges.
guide3a.jpg

I walked to my round stock drawer and grabbed a few different sizes of round stock to see what felt good in my hands. I settled on 1" diameter but in trying to keep the tool somewhat light, I figured rather than start with solid bar stock that I would use some 1" X .083" tubing and machine a threaded boss for one end and a cap for the other. One threaded boss welded in and the other pressed in awaiting the welding process.
guide4.jpg

With the welding completed, it was back to the lathe to square off the threaded end and put a nice radius on the other. One down and one to go.
guide5.jpg

guide6.jpg

When both handles were complete I applied some Loctite 242 to the threads and installed the handles. Here you can see that the fasteners sit recessed from the parent material which will spend its life sliding against the bandsaw's table.
guide7.jpg

Handles installed. I think I am going to cut some serrations in the "V" side to capture the material being cut but not sure that it is necessary as I'm sure there will be knicks and cuts put in the tool from normal use.
guide8.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• guide3.jpg
    guide3.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I replaced the starter today and it still wouldn't start so that was a cuss word-filled few minutes. I was messing around in the PDC and vaguely remember the previous owner had a jumper wire in place of the starter relay so I jumped 86 to 87 and now it starts with the key. I'd love to figure out where the issue is there but I won't. Fixed is fixed!

Now who wants to go to Sand Hollow? I know a bunch of you just got back but c'mon... it'll be fun!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I replaced the starter today and it still wouldn't start so that was a cuss word-filled few minutes. I was messing around in the PDC and vaguely remember the previous owner had a jumper wire in place of the starter relay so I jumped 86 to 87 and now it starts with the key. I'd love to figure out where the issue is there but I won't. Fixed is fixed!

Now who wants to go to Sand Hollow? I know a bunch of you just got back but c'mon... it'll be fun!
Maybe sometime around the first of February.