General Tech What did you work on Today?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Got a side gig welding up 4 big planter boxes for a home remodel/landscaping job up in Park City. The largest one is 25'x3'x2.5' and weighs about 2,000 lbs...
View attachment 168338
View attachment 168339
View attachment 168340
View attachment 168341
The client wants it to look completely seamless after the rust takes over hence it being one continuous 25' box.... unfortunately the crane company couldn't get close enough to comfortably lift it without blocking off a city road. So now I get to cut this box in half, and re-weld it back together on site where it is installed so that an excavator can lift each side... 🙄
Badass!

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Finished the hydroboost conversion on the scrambler. Brakes feel great. The booster is from a 2000ish junkyard F250. Master cylinder is a 1 1/8" bore and has an internal spacer that allowed me to match the exact fitment from the original Ford master cylinder. The firewall mount took a little time to put together to match the jeep's pedal to the booster rod for proper placement. Everything clears the hood. A new power steering pump (dual return saginaw) and a cooler also freshened up the steering. The brakes are predictable and definitely stronger than the Durango booster/master combo on it previously. The jeep should be ready for EJS

20240106_121225_resized.jpg

JeeperG

Put some new shoes on the old truck, hard to get decent pics in the cramped shop and it's like taking a bunch of mirror selfies. Still need to tinker with suspension and steering a bit.
1000004687.jpg

1000004694.jpg

1000004700.jpg

1000004689.jpg

1000004701.jpg

1000004682.jpg
Also found someone already makes a hinge/bracket to mount a sniper screen so it folds up under the dash, this looks like the best location.
1000004696.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Put some new ball joints in the YJ today and ran into an interesting problem. The joints on the driver side inner C were loose. Google says it happens on the TJ/YJ/XJ Dana 30 from time to time. Yes, you can buy knurled joints. I did, and so did the last person who replaced them. No one really seems to have success with the Moog oversized joints, so I welded these in.

Just kidding.

IMG_6848.jpegIMG_6849.jpegIMG_6850.jpeg

The new joint was just as loose. I could push it in and pull it out with one hand. If it were a ring and pinion, it would have a good amount of backlash. 😬

I did think about welding the joints in, but the innernets offered a better solution. Hammers.

IMG_6854.jpegIMG_6855.jpeg

I smacked the C with the sledge hammer to distort the hole. This was enough to keep the joint from sliding in, but I wanted more grip, so I peened the inside surface of the upper and lower holes with a punch. This worked awesome and was pretty hard to press the new joints in. IMG_6857.jpeg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Put some new ball joints in the YJ today and ran into an interesting problem. The joints on the driver side inner C were loose. Google says it happens on the TJ/YJ/XJ Dana 30 from time to time. Yes, you can buy knurled joints. I did, and so did the last person who replaced them. No one really seems to have success with the Moog oversized joints, so I welded these in.

Just kidding.

The new joint was just as loose. I could push it in and pull it out with one hand. If it were a ring and pinion, it would have a good amount of backlash. 😬

I did think about welding the joints in, but the innernets offered a better solution. Hammers.

View attachment 168411

I smacked the C with the sledge hammer to distort the hole. This was enough to keep the joint from sliding in, but I wanted more grip, so I peened the inside surface of the upper and lower holes with a punch. This worked awesome and was pretty hard to press the new joints in.

Jeremy, I used the peening method for many, many years in the Industrial Maintenance industry when I had a bearing or bushing bore that was a little more loose fitting than I liked and the component either wasn't on hand or we had to get the asset up and running quicker than we could wait for the part. It worked well for quite a while until the component had to be replaced. I think you'll be good for quite some time with that fix.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Jeremy, I used the peening method for many, many years in the Industrial Maintenance industry when I had a bearing or bushing bore that was a little more loose fitting than I liked and the component either wasn't on hand or we had to get the asset up and running quicker than we could wait for the part. It worked well for quite a while until the component had to be replaced. I think you'll be good for quite some time with that fix.
Thanks Mike. I’m pretty confident it’s gonna be difficult to remove if it ever has to be done. A different front axle will ultimately be going in.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Haven't had front dome lights for a bit now, and these screwy little things are the culprit.

1705110423168.png

The bulb socket inserts into those ports and those copper ring thingies are supposed to close the circuit with the bulb contacts. But they can't do that when they're twenty years old and burnt and shredded.

1705110500069.png

I thought about making a uterus joke, but I'm too classy for that. This little guy is not available by himself, OEM or aftermarket. You gotta buy a whole ceiling console, and either pay through both nostrils to get one from Ford, or pay through one nostril on EBay and take your chances on somebody else's wrecked little copper strip thingy. I thought about trying to repair it but it looks pretty fiddly.

1705111250025.png

And a cracked socket wasn't helping matters - kinda hard to source these new too, and I wasn't sure that even if I got the copper strip ring thingie fixed that this socket would hold a bulb.

So.

1705110682800.png

This is a bayonet socket from the electrical parts aisle at Oreillys. It's real close to the actual bulb socket, except with wires. More on that inna bit.

1705110609186.png

This is the connector that that cheesy little copper strip plugs into. I've already forgotten which is which, but one of those is the left light and one is right and the other is the common ground.

1705110762906.png

This is the backside of the reflectors.

1705110795369.png

This is one of those reflectors, after being subjected to my l33t modding skills to accept the parts store bayonet socket thingy.

1705110972391.png

More l33t modding skillz. Original on the right. It's a pretty soft plastic, this was just a little work with an exacto blade.

1705111044918.png

All wired up and put back together. The original setup had the bulbs facing the reflectors from the front. There wasn't room for these new bayonet sockets to fit that way, and l33t modding skillz only go so far, so now they're flipped around. It works fine, can't tell the difference once the it's back in the truck. If I ever need to change one I'll have to drop the whole ceiling console again, but they're LED now so hopefully that won't happen too often.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

JeeperG

Throw on some sauce, maybe some parmesan?
1000004768.jpg
Mounted the radiator and pusher fan
1000004769.jpg
1000004773.jpg
You can see how tight things are getting
1000004772.jpg
Mocked up some hose shapes and went driving around to auto parts stores looking for pre molded hoses that are closest to the shape we need. I think we found some?
1000004771.jpg
Tossed a battery in, this is up under my passenger front fender.
1000004762.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm gonna have to create a parts # list for this truck, these hoses I picked up, couldn't even tell you what they are for. Should work?

You should get you one of those hardbound notebooks and enter info in there.
blank_1x1.gif
1705363243336.png

Last edited: