General Tech What did you work on Today?

Corban_White

Ooof that looks familiar. Years of calcium eating away at that wheel.
It was actually from being buried in the dirt for ~20 years before I got ahold of it. No calcium in these wheels, they had tubes from the factory. I was thinking of you when I was trying to get it off, do you have a grabber on your service truck? Or at least a crane?

Coco

It was actually from being buried in the dirt for ~20 years before I got ahold of it. No calcium in these wheels, they had tubes from the factory. I was thinking of you when I was trying to get it off, do you have a grabber on your service truck? Or at least a crane?
Thats crazy! I would have thought for sure calcium damage, but I can see being buried as well.

No crane, I do everything by hand with big ass bars, but there is times I definitely wish I had a crane! :rofl: I do have a hydraulic bead breaker (identical to this, but not the off-brand for lack of a better term) though that helps a TON for the implement/loader stuff. The LT/passenger/Medium truck I just use a big duck bill hammer.

XJEEPER

I’ve come to the realization that this new stroker engine isn’t going to build itself and the mysterious disappearance of coolant that is occurring in my 238,000 mi 4.0L is unsustainable.
IMG_0681.jpeg
Crank bearing spec range is .0010-.0025, all 7 landed in the .0015-.0020 range👍🏼
IMG_0685.jpeg
New 12 weight Scat 258 crank nestled into place with a liberal slathering of RedLine assembly lube.
IMG_0691.jpeg
Torqued, endplay checked, ready for piston assemblies.
IMG_0692.jpeg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
With the Sand Hollow trip in 3 weeks I have some stuff that the Jeep needs. The first one was something I forgot about… a few years ago like the day before a comp I went to adjust air pressure and the metal portion of the valve stem turned inside the rubber part on (3) of my beadlocks. A couple of them even popped out. I was like coooool. Pressed for time I put some black RTV on them and sent it. They clearly lasted and I obviously forgot cause when I just aired them up a couple weeks ago after a long time of sitting, one of the tires had a slow leak. I went to tighten the valve core just to see if it was that and it started spinning and I was like oh yeah lol. So anyways, today I pulled the beadlock rings and squeezed in some new valve stems on all 4. Not exciting work by any stretch but I had a great helper
IMG_2667.jpeg

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I forgot to take pictures of the inside of my cylinder head, but I replaced the piston in my Yamaha today.

This will only be the third piston, in what I am sure is 400 hours or more on the bike.

I’m trying to be a better person, so I thought I would check with the best mechanic I know and have him make sure everything is still in spec for the stock sized piston and rings.

I ran down to @glockman house and had him put some calipers and bore gauges on my cylinder and piston rings.

I didn’t write everything down, so this may not be an exact quote, but I believe he said “this is the best condition cylinder and piston I have ever seen on a dirtbike. Even 100 hours on a KTM makes it look significantly worse than this. I can’t believe how reliable and incredible Yamaha must be“

I’ve put the engine back together, but didn’t get it quite finished up for the night. I’m thinking may also change the oil and air filter since I’m this far into it.

IMG_5802.jpeg

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I forgot to take pictures of the inside of my cylinder head, but I replaced the piston in my Yamaha today.

This will only be the third piston, in what I am sure is 400 hours or more on the bike.

I’m trying to be a better person, so I thought I would check with the best mechanic I know and have him make sure everything is still in spec for the stock sized piston and rings.

I ran down to @glockman house and had him put some calipers and bore gauges on my cylinder and piston rings.

I didn’t write everything down, so this may not be an exact quote, but I believe he said “this is the best condition cylinder and piston I have ever seen on a dirtbike. Even 100 hours on a KTM makes it look significantly worse than this. I can’t believe how reliable and incredible Yamaha must be“

I’ve put the engine back together, but didn’t get it quite finished up for the night. I’m thinking may also change the oil and air filter since I’m this far into it.

View attachment 169022
I think @glockman told me tonight at the meet and greet that he told you that you need to ride it harder.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

View attachment 169022
I've got some life choices to make. All these year of maintenance may have been wasted.