General Tech What did you work on Today?

STAG

On my grind
And fired up the TIG for a little bracket on a hitch. I wish I Tigged more so I could really nail down the consistency.

View attachment 170969
View attachment 170970
View attachment 170974

Also threw a couple holes in some 1.25” square and added some threaded weld bungs. Then chased the threads in them with a tap after welding.
View attachment 170971
View attachment 170972
View attachment 170973
Use for said plate on hitch. Scrub the mud off the boots before getting in the truck or walking in businesses etc
B186249C-B143-4BB9-8D0E-74913E0F1EFB.jpeg

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Finished cutting and measuring everything for the battery bracket for the new Highline set up.

Don't mind the "Speed holes" that @Hickey and I put into the plate without "Measuring Twice...." Now it's just weight reduction. 😬
Next hour I have in the garage will be welding this together as well as welding the Fusebox Bracket I built to it.

I also built new positive battery cables because the stock ones won't reach but I didn't take a picture of that.

IMG_2279.jpeg
IMG_2280.jpeg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Sir.

Sir.

This is NOT just a fancy badge. :mad:
Some of the Land Cruisers came with AHC too, not many to my knowledge, but there are some out there. The only other real differences are cosmetic (headlights/front clip, tail lights/rear body, badging, etc) and all the mechanical and drivertrain are the same. Do you want to call it a 101 series?

Great vehicles! I have never owned a 10X series cruiser, but I would own one if I had a need. I love what @I Lean did to his and think that is a great compromise to an 80 if the time ever came to do something different.

JeeperG

I still haven't even driven it. Not sure if we're making it to Hurricane? Rain? I don't know yet.

Been fighting these filler panels my brother made, stuff just isn't fitting.
1000005665.jpg
Tailgate on.
1000005667.jpg
Upholstery is pretty well done.
1000005646.jpg

1000005668.jpg
I'm happy with it.
1000005669.jpg
I gotta finish getting the front filler panels mounted and maybe revisit them stupid rear ones. For the most part outside of a final polish and wax it's done? Till I drive it and things go wrong?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Since I traded my F350 I've kinda missed having a place to mount my camera monitor for my trailer. I don't want to spend $150 on plate to fill the cubby above the infotainment screen so tonight I got creative.

I took some staping that I had laying around from some project and decided to bend it up to fit in the cubby and give me a mounting location for my Ram mounts. I figure if I hate it I'm out a few hours of time is all.

I cut it to length, bent the legs, cut some notches to fit tight where I wanted it, slotted the top a bit to make mounting the ram balls easier, then sanded it and shot it with black spray paint.

I wanted a bit more structure under the plastic to hold things in place better, so I cut another piece of stopping to length, slotted it where the bolts would come through, then bent it to hold the shape of the cubby and clear the mounting clips in the dash. Then I bent some fender washers to clear as well.

I mounted it all up and attached the Ram balls where I think I want them.
IMG_7737.jpeg

IMG_7738.jpeg

This the piece underneath the plastic to give it more rigidity.
IMG_7739.jpeg

After I put it back in the truck I moved the monitor around to find the place I feel it gives me a good view, but won't obstruct my front view.

I started with it on the passenger side of the info screen but didn't love it there.
IMG_7740.jpeg

After moving and combining arms I have laying around I settled on putting it on the driver's side of the screen.
IMG_7741.jpeg

I'm pulling my trailer to Moab tomorrow so if I don't like where it's at I can move it.

I like that I have options for my iPad if I want to mount it up there too, and I'll likely add the control for my HAM when I get around to installing it in the truck.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
What does your trailer weigh Dave?
Dry it's supposed to weigh about 5600lbs. The max weight is supposed to be 8800. I haven't ever weighed it, but I will at some point with the Tundra to make sure I am not over the weight ratings of the truck with all the crap I have loaded in the trailer and the truck.

I haven't taken a single picture of the install, but I put Air Lift air bags on it over the weekend to help the squat with the trailer hooked up and moto in the bed. Today will be a good test of the Tundra going down to Moab.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Finished up the chassis today and dropped the body back on. I guess I didn’t take a finished picture. I’ll get one. This thing is no peach. The definition of a 50 footer. 😕
I’m tired of offering advice on the right way to build it. We’re leaving the 50 years of mud/rust/grease that covers the entire under body in place. 😂

Frame is nice though.
IMG_5428.jpeg

IMG_5429.jpeg

IMG_5430.jpeg

IMG_5434.jpeg

IMG_5435.jpeg

If you want an early bronco body trailer I got one I need to get rid of.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The painter left everything in the engine bay when he painted it, except the engine. The coil, random fuses, the horn. All thing that were no longer needed or would be replaced. As I started removing them it was clear we couldn’t leave it that way. So is stripped it all and had some rattle cans made up. Turns out this was a three stage paint job. They had to make me a base and then a metallic with clear in it, or something like that. The master cylinder leaked brake fluid on the driver fender causing it to bubble. There are a million unnecessary holes everywhere that will stay. Just glad he signed off on this hack job repaint.

IMG_5436.jpeg

IMG_5437.jpeg

IMG_5438.jpeg

IMG_5446.jpeg

IMG_5445.jpeg

IMG_5443.jpeg

The drivetrain goes in tomorrow. I’ll piddle around with it Friday and then I’m done. I start a new job on Monday. I will not take this one on as a side job either. My BIL will have to figure something else out from here. Bitter sweet. Mostly sweet.

JeeperG

Since this is all I "work on" she's up and running but not right, have had nothing but issues with the Holley sniper. I bought the thing like 8 years ago, no warranty, I think I might just cut my loss and order the sniper 2 since we're already wired and hope that fixes the issue. The AFR has given us nothing but a reading of 35.6 since our first fire up and two different 02's.

Pile of parts

Since this is all I "work on" she's up and running but not right, have had nothing but issues with the Holley sniper. I bought the thing like 8 years ago, no warranty, I think I might just cut my loss and order the sniper 2 since we're already wired and hope that fixes the issue. The AFR has given us nothing but a reading of 35.6 since our first fire up and two different 02's.

It may not be running 100%, but I think I saw a big smile coming from inside the truck.

JeeperG

It may not be running 100%, but I think I saw a big smile coming from inside the truck.
For sure, got to hit that cutout switch. 😁 actually looking into it more the sniper 2 isn't as plug and play as I thought, might order another sniper 1 unit, pay to get this one fixed and have a spare? We can test the 02's on my uncles Studebaker just to verify we don't have 2 bad ones, his sniper runs fine.